Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
I currently use 90GB on my X. but wondering what happens to the storage when you have three cameras blasting away at photos and video at the same time. Starting to wonder if I should just get the 512. Am I over thinking it? Also can you upgrade an order on the app without losing your window? Id like to upgrade my AppleCare to include theft and then there’s the 512GB debate.

BeaverHammer

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2019
Between iCloud and streaming music, I’m not sure how one would use all that space. I am not a power user, however.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
I'd guess somebody who takes many long 4K videos, but the percentage of iPhone users doing that would be small.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I currently use 90GB on my X. but wondering what happens to the storage when you have three cameras blasting away at photos and video at the same time. Starting to wonder if I should just get the 512. Am I over thinking it? Also can you upgrade an order on the app without losing your window? Id like to upgrade my AppleCare to include theft and then there’s the 512GB debate.
Yep. I organize all of my pictures and videos into subfolders on my MacBook and sync them back to the photos app using iTunes where they become titled, permanent folders. I never let my camera roll go above 300. I like to have all of my photos and videos locally stored, no reliance on a connection to access, and it serves as a backup of all that’s important to me being on my person at all times. Approximately 17,700 photos and 1,300 videos. I know I’m unique, but it’s what makes me happy. I put the time in, but I can find any photo in seconds. My 12 year old daughter has a folder for each year of her life, for example. It’s what I like.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Yes people store very large files on there iPhones. I’d go for the 256GB, you’ll be fine if you’re only using 90GB currently.

But by all means buy what you want.

I own a 1TB iPad Pro, and I ordered a 256GB Promaxgreen

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Let me ask this, because my cloud storage is 256GB.

Is there something you can plug into the bottom via lightning that just does a complete backup of new photos, videos, and files.

DCHook

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I actually went for the 512GB this year. I currently have a 256GB iPhone XS and I was surprised to notice within the last few months that I'm actually getting close to that limit. I'm a software developer with lots of test apps, etc. but that's not what really sucks down space. Thousands of photos, videos, 360 degree videos, drone videos, etc. just suck down space. Now, that being said, I should say that one of my goals during the iPhone 11 life cycle is to start going through some of the content and filtering it a bit and doing a better job of offloading it. I really think that 256GB should be plenty but with the state of my storage on the iPhone XS now, I knew that I would likely want that additional space during the trim process, etc.

Reactions: haruhiko

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Photographer here with 200gb used on current iphone. 256gb would probably still be enough for the next year but I opted for the 512 just so I don’t have to even think about conserving space.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
My entire iTunes library is reaching 512GB mark and I have no idea how fast this thing would grow. For me, 2TB iPhone would make me feel a bit better, on top of photos, videos, apps, and everything else.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I'm currently using 340GB of my 512GB. Much of that is years worth of photos and a bunch of music. I travel pseudo-regularly, and am periodically in places with poor/no cell signal (eg. on a plane, haha). Having all my stuff in the cloud would make those times rather dry, sadly. Having a lot onboard means I always have it, no matter where I am.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Currently only have 53 gigs left on my 512gb xs max..
I would actually not have enough space if I didnt use iCloud.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I have about 56gb just in iMessages alone.

512gb is the only way I can go. It will only get worse with Apple Arcade/Apple TV+.
[doublepost=1568689394][/doublepost]
My entire iTunes library is reaching 512GB mark and I have no idea how fast this thing would grow. For me, 2TB iPhone would make me feel a bit better, on top of photos, videos, apps, and everything else.
I could get by with a 1TB iPhone to match my 1TB iPad. I'd ideally like my devices to have LIKE storage.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

mdjasrie

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
Singapore
I am predicting that I will be needing a 512GB model in future iphones. Perhaps in a couple of generations time. I have my fair share of travels and I take quite a bunch of photos and videos. I don't play games that much, so most of the space occupied are photos and videos. I am currently using more than half of my 256GB storage in my iPhone. Every time I travel and take photos, it takes a chunk of that remaining space.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I feel like the 512 GB feels more premium than that of 256 gb or 64 GB but that's my opinion and how I feel about the 512 GB model.

thirdsun

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
I do. I'm a music collector and my lossless music library, containing rare and obscure releases not avilable on any streaming platform, is currently at about 700 GB and growing. Luckily iTunes allows to transcode to a lossy format during sync which is good enough for mobile use, but at 256 kbps AAC I'm still dealing with about 250 GB (and growing).

Of course I considered getting a dedicated digital audio player like Sony's Walkman range. Nice, affordable devices, but I really don't like the idea of carrying another device around. That's why I regard my iPhone as a DAP and need the 512 GB. Unfortunately that size option is only available with the high end models. I'd love to get an iPhone 11 (despite the uncomfortable screen size) to save a significant amount of money, but it has to be the Pro.

Reactions: Traverse and Fozamo

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/anyone-fully-utilizing-512gb-of-storage-on-xs.2166418/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...12gb-what-do-you-put-on-your-iphones.2163845/

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Defo think photographers and video creators will need the 512Gb. I think for casual use, it depends what else you horde. I have a 256Gb 8+ (upgrading to the Pro Max 256 this Friday). I have around 40Gb left on the device. That's after two years of usage. Have around 80Gb of music on the device and I now use You Tube Music to download or stream. Also have about 70Gb of photos. I've never had to delete anything because I'm running out of space but I do tend to de-select photo albums and generally manage them more often than not.

I'm a bit weird when it comes to icloud. I have 50Gb. It's barely used. I need to transition across to it but I'm a bit old skool.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
Lossless music files and/or 4K video eat storage. You'd have to be going some otherwise to fill a 256GB phone, with a more unusual niche Use Case. 512GB seems like overkill.

I ripped all my CDs (long before I got Apple Music subscription) onto my iPhone via iTunes years ago, and have always liked to keep my full sized pics synced via Apple Photos onto iPhone and iPad & I'm now using 173GB of 256GB:

23,000 pics = 85GB
12,000 songs = 70GB (66GB on iPad & 92GB on my iMac - maybe they're not all synced, so could be fewer songs)

None of my other phone apps are bigger than 300MB total.

I drag & drop video clips out of Photos into a desktop folder on my iMac, otherwise I guess my iPhone storage would now be full.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Yep. I organize all of my pictures and videos into subfolders on my MacBook and sync them back to the photos app using iTunes where they become titled, permanent folders. I never let my camera roll go above 300. I like to have all of my photos and videos locally stored, no reliance on a connection to access, and it serves as a backup of all that’s important to me being on my person at all times. Approximately 17,700 photos and 1,300 videos. I know I’m unique, but it’s what makes me happy. I put the time in, but I can find any photo in seconds. My 12 year old daughter has a folder for each year of her life, for example. It’s what I like.
That's dedication.

I use Google photos as the search queries makes it dead easy to find any photo in no time. Like "daughter + Disney" or "mummy + dad -son".

I have fiber optic broadband at work, the gym and at home so accessing photos is never an issues.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

Beyonder88

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2017
I have both the 256gb and 512gb. higher capacity meant you can be complacent at times. Not a need to constantly housekeep and think of what to waste or stay. All depends on your preference really. Both are great, 256 if u want to save abit or am disciplined enough. 64 may even do if so.

And yes somewhat the 512 is faster in my opinion. I get the impression also Face ID is faster and more accurate. My 256 at times cannot detect my face if I am lying down sideways. Strange but perhaps it’s just me or phone issues.

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
Can someone use 512GB az flash disk ? (For backups files e.g. ?) Best software to transfer data or using as flash disk ? (No airdrop because unsupported extensions airdrop can't recieve)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Got 153GB left on my 256GB as I removed all films which took up 115Gb. I don’t need that on my storage as I can just watch it on my 4G if needed

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
The 3 cameras dont shoot at the same all of the time...
[automerge]1584113432[/automerge]
Can someone use 512GB az flash disk ? (For backups files e.g. ?) Best software to transfer data or using as flash disk ? (No airdrop because unsupported extensions airdrop can't recieve)
Imagine an Airdrop rechargeable 1TB storage drive......

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Apple does a good job with iCloud services for me.

My use and storage usage....

My photo library is only about 30gb (small compared to some of you guys) and I have iCloud Photo Library on. My iMac will download the original for local storage while the rest of my devices are set to optimize storage so I about 1gb of data on the iPhone. I know some people have had issues with it but I have not. Photos/videos are stored in original format with no compression so its perfect for me.

I try to be careful with my pics and only save in formats that are needed (ie.10mb lossless screenshot is overkill). I also am a bit OCD about keeping them organized and only the photos I want to avoid them getting cluttered up. For videos that are worth the effort (wedding, surprise party, kids first steps, someone falling down) I'll record in 4k mostly for editing reasons, after export I'll typically downsample to 1080p with chroma 10bit 444 YUV since I can usually get better overall image quality with 1080p no chroma subsampling vs 4k with 1/4 the color resolution.

I don't keep movies on my iPhone because I never thought about it. I have space for movies just no need.

I have Apple music so my iPhones local library is consist of playlist and heavy rotation music which ends up being around 1-2gb. Everything else I can stream.

I transfer large files between Macs via iCloud. Even the largest files I deal with ~30gb can be dropped on my desktop so when I get to work there is no fuss using AirDrop or USBs. This also consolidates my working file into a single file, not edited in one place and original in another (although I could do that if need be). Even if I needed the file on my iPhone can get download it from the Desktop in the Files app.

I use Messages in the cloud so years of text/iMessage pictures are only consuming 199 mb of data.

27.7gb of 64gb is my current usage. iCloud is 24.1gb of 50gb currently. I'll probably upgrade my iCloud storage before I upgrade local storage.

I'm a firm believer that people try to live within their means (in general). If you have more space you'll use more space. If you don't you won't. Like a middle income individual doesn't think about spending money they dont have (in general) I don't think about using storage space I dont have. It becomes a problem when you don't live within your means and you start having to micro manage the storage space like deleting photos to take photos. Once you get to that point than you need a phone with larger storage capacity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.