Anyone here NOT sell their older iPhones when they upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Sep 10, 2012.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I am so tempted to simply keep my iPhone4S and not sell it as it is a wonderful phone and one I wouldn't mind going back to in a pinch, if need be.

Anyone here simply never sell their iPhones but rather keep them or give them to family members?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have kept mine and handed them down
    I have my 3GS on my desk
    And the wifey has the 4

3. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

I have never sold one of my iPhones. I still have my 3G and when i upgrade to the 5 here in a few days, i plan on keeping my 4. I use it mainly as a music device once it's retired.

4. tann macrumors 68000

I know many people who do this with not only iPhones but their old phones in general.

The give to family members option is a common one :).

I won't be upgrading until next year most likely so I'll probably just keep my 4S then and use it as a backup phone/iPod lol.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I either sell mine or give it away. I don't see why people keep them, unless they use it as an ipod.

6. tann macrumors 68000

In case their newer one breaks/malfunctions maybe? I know one person who either keeps or gives to family members but will not sell because they are paranoid about someone somehow getting their personal information from the device.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

haha I guess so, but that sounds like a hoarder to me. I'd rather have the $300+

8. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

I never sell mine. I always give it to my wife, and then get the new device for me.

Her old phone usually becomes a backup, or bathroom ipod dock player, or a phone for my mom (because she is always losing them)

9. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

When i upgrade in Januray, i plan on passing my 4 to my daughter

10. HERO XXL macrumors regular

Personally, I NEVER sell my old tech--ESPECIALLY phones/tablets--they go in the "old cell phone" drawer with the rest. If whatever new phone I have ever comes up missing/stolen/broken--I always have a quick back-up.

(---plus, I might have to "phone home" one day.)

11. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I always sell my old phones, but I do get occasional regret on that decision. Sometimes it is cool to hold an old phone and the new just to see how far it has come. I saw an original iPhone at a restaurant the other day and was surprised how thick it was (comparatively).

12. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I usually pass mine down to my daughter, and then sell hers. For example, this year I'll be passing along the 4S to replace her 4.

Normally I'd sell her old one, but since it is unlocked I'm toying with the idea of keeping it as a back-up and as a world phone for traveling.

I sort of wish I still had my old 3G.

14. DaBossIsHere macrumors regular

I'm keeping my Galaxy S2 so I can compare speeds :D

15. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

My mom inherits my old technology. It's brand new to her and her needs. And she is on my plan so it is a yearly upgrade option for me since our contract dates are a year apart. ^^

16. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

I just pass my old Phone along, I resell my iPads though.

17. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

If you travel overseas your old out-of-contract and unlocked iPhone can accept local SIM cards, giving you access to data and voice connectivity at a fraction of the cost of using the roaming service of your usual carrier, while delivering all your Apple ID services, like apps and everything in the iCloud.

18. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Are you Andy Samberg???:eek:

19. scottw324 macrumors 6502

I am considering selling my wife's stock iPhone 4 and keeping my jailbroken iPhone 4. I still have the two 3G iphones from back in 2008. They just get repurposed. I keep one in the car with TV shows and movies for my daughter to watch to and from work. I have it plugged into an LCD TV in the back seat for video and the sound goes to my stereo. This way I can control it from the front seat with no problems.

I will probably keep my iPhone 4 and if I can get Airserver to work correctly on it use it as another Apple TV essentially where I can airplay what I want to it. Still trying to get it to work though due to some invalid license issue (yes I bought it through Cydia).

20. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

I ended up giving my 3G to my nephew but I decided to hang onto the 4 when I went Android :eek:. It was just too nice a device for an eight-year old. The 4 was basically an iPod touch for me and my preferred "bathroom" device. ;)

Since I'm looking to upgrade to the 5 in short order, I finally sold my 4 on Craigslist for $360.

21. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I agree. I still have my old Alltel HTC Touch...not Touch Pro, just regular Touch. I charged it and fired it up the other day just to be nostalgic. It doesn't have WiFi and the GPS was disabled by Alltel, but it was neat to go back in time about 6 years and remember what a "great" phone it was back in the day.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Between my wife and myself, I keep one iPhone in each design/form factor and ebay the others. Now I have a collection consisting of the original iPhone, iPhone 3GS and (very soon) iPhone 4S. It's pretty nice to hold onto them.

23. tann macrumors 68000

haha, well some people like hoarding I guess.

Also, I for example bought my 64gb 4S on launch day for £700 from Apple, the most I can get (via recycling) is £330. Compare that to the £500 launch day 16gb 4S going for ~£300.

To some that's just not really worth selling. You still have to fork out £400 for a new equivalent phone. But that's the price of wanting Apple storage I think!

24. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Don't plan on selling mine (not that I could get much for it with an intermittent Home button problem). Rather I plan on using it as an iPod Touch and keep it in my car to listen to music.

25. BrokeTechLover macrumors regular

I'm keeping mine mostly because I have no desire for the latest and greatest. The iPhone 4 is a nice phone,& better than nothing.

I still have a 1st gen. iPhone in my drawer & I keep it because..well who just chunks a phone in the trash?