Anyone here NOT using iCloud on your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b24pgg, Oct 31, 2011.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

First thing I did with my new iPhone is delete the iCloud account. I use gmail for my email, contacts, and calendars so I just set that up as an Exchange account...and all my media is synced with iTunes the old-school way...with a cable. I feel like using iCloud would be nothing more than another battery hog.

I do think about adding it for Find my iPhone though.

Anyone else not using it?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I use it because if my phone dies in some way while I'm out and about, I can pop into an Apple Store and have it replaced and set back up without having to return home and plug it in. And while that hasn't happened yet with iCloud, it did happen when I had MobileMe and I was glad to recover all of my contacts right away.

3. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

The biggest benefit to using iCloud would be the push email I would get with my @me.com over the fetch using gmail. Fetching uses more battery, no?

4. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

You can use Gmail as an Exchange service on your iPhone. It will push just like iCloud.

I do use iCloud, not for email, but to sync contacts, calendars, photostream, and find my phone.

5. Dented macrumors 6502a

I'm like the OP in that I already had my contacts, calendar etc syncing with gmail on my previous 3GS, including a custom email address (my own domain), so trying to set all that up again with iCloud on the 4S just didn't seem worth it. I turned it off entirely except for find my iPhone, which is obviously quite useful and new (to me).

If I was starting from fresh it might be different - but I still don't know if iCloud could support my own email address the way gmail does. I'm not a google fan generally but gmail is a pretty mature and well featured "cloud" product.

In reply to the other poster - afaik push takes more power than fetch, assuming you're not fetching too often (eg every five minutes) because with push the connection is "always on". With Gmail set up as an exchange account you have the option of either anyway.

I'm still using the cable with iTunes for backup too, mostly because it's so much quicker.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I already have a good cloud setup for my iPhone, Macs & PC's. Fully optimized and well sorted out, I have no need to start all over for no reason.

Plus after spending some time researching as much info as I could find about how Apple tracks it's users through their iPhones. I have come to the conclusion Google is much safer.

Here's why. Apples user base is consumers. Googles base is comprised of users along with millions of businesses from the large scale giants to the small & medium sized companies. They are only interested in linking advertising to users, whereas the big fish for Google is the enterprise. Therefore while they may place targeted ads on your Gmail page, they don't care that much about your browsing. They know the average user doesn't have anything to hide.

Apple on the otherhand has built an empire off the backs of regular consumers, therefore their data mining targets their own customers with very close scrutiny. Finally, anytime you have all your eggs in one basket, you are not only setting yourself up with no redundancy and no way out. Steves Company Owns you.

7. outphase macrumors 65816

iCloud has nothing to do with WiFi syncing, so I don't know why you specifically mentioned using a cable.

8. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

iCloud backup as opposed to the old method (ala cable backup/sync)

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What's there to think about?

If you have any thought of using it, why not just add that?

Are you trying to argue that Google isn't primarily an advertising company? Is that what you're trying to do here?

Do you think there's anyone here who's going to buy that?

10. BAZ1307 macrumors member

Wouldn't dare delete iCloud on my iPhone as iCloud has came in incredibl useful for having all of my important data continuously synced between my iPhone and iPad. I can take a few notes in class on my iPhone, view them straightaway on my iPad when I get home, or download them onto my PC.

There's also the Photo Stream which I have absolutely loved so far. :)

11. film major macrumors member

I am not using it...yet. I haven't upgraded my 4 year old macbook pro to Lion yet so I can use it.

12. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Yeh I am really liking iCloud so far. However I think its a shame that they didn't integrate documents in the cloud deeper into iWork for the Mac. It would have been nice to be able to create a document on my iPhone then when I get home it to be already in some folder on my MacBook instead of having to download it from iCloud.com. Ahh well we shall see what the future holds.

13. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Well I use I cloud but I don't use it to backup. My camera roll is over 5GB so the only way to use it as a backup for me is buy extra space which I don't want to do. I use icloud for photo stream and I have an icloud email and its cool to have all the contacts and calender appointments update between devices.

14. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I don't use it. My backup would be over 5GB, and I don't plan to pay to backup my data. I'll do it in iTunes.

15. AlohaMaui macrumors member

I dont use iCloud either.

No need to really sync between iphone and ipad.
    No desire to post all my photos up to a storage cloud either.

16. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

I do not use iCloud

It creates duplicate calendar and contacts in the mac, do not have enough time to figure it all out

IMHO, I do not think iCloud just works (as advertised by Steve, Sorry steve for the complain)

for Push Email Yahoo!

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm not using it yet.

I'm running Lion on my iMac and Snow Leopard on my MBP so I'm sticking with MobileMe while it's still functioning so I can keep everything synced.

18. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I use it to back up and photo stream and automatically download apps to my ipad iphone and mac.... it only does it when on wifi and plugged in so basically when i go to sleep. no biggie for me

19. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

I am not

The sole app I sync with NOTES does this already.

20. iTorment macrumors member

iTorment

I don't use iCloud personally as I think it causes the phone to lose battery, in my case draining 20-30 percent overnight. Can you honestly say that using said features on your phone, it doesn't reduce your battery.

21. wellok macrumors 6502

It doesn't drain mine in a way that makes me want to experiment on going without. I plug my phone in overnight so I really don't care if it would drain 20% overnight. I have no trouble whatsoever getting through the day with very heavy use.

22. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

This. I still have Snow Leopard on my MBP and I'm planning on replacing my old G5 iMac in the next month or so. I'm sticking with MobileMe until they work a few more bugs out of Lion and iCloud.

23. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Same for me: I get duplicate contacts and calendar entries, and I get frustrated trying to figure it all out. I read some various guides online, but I don't have a clear idea of how to make it "just work".

24. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

I have turned it off on my iP4 at least for now. When I combine my previous experiment with mobilme, the headaches with syncing with my outlook on my PC, and the fact that if iCloud looses the contacts in the cloud it might wipe my contacts off my iPhone, I am being cautious and leaving it off until some time goes by. Will wait and see what happens the first time icloud looses somebodies contacts and calendars.

25. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I turned everything off except find my iPhone, I rather sync everything the 'old way' on iTunes and just sync/backup whenever I feel necessary. I have 12 gigs of music, don't need to pay for it when I can backup on my computer for free...

If they released the find my iphone app and made it work separately again, I'd delete iCloud completely....