Anyone here play call of duty 4 on their mac pro via bootcamp??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just curious.. anyone here play call of duty 4 on their mac pro via bootcamp and if so how well does it run and is it fun in multiplayer mode??

2. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

I play it. Stock Mac Pro, 2600 video card, not too shabby, i play at 720p. It plays well... graphically it could be better...

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

I've been playing it for months on my 3.0 ghz 4-core Mac Pro with 1900XT on a 30" ACD. It plays great. 4x AA, all graphics set at normal (highest setting). Frame rates average around 70 FPS. Excellent.

Multiplayer is all I play. Only took the single player game a couple of levels ... far enough to get the basics of the weapons.

4. JollyRogers macrumors regular

yep, I play it, less then I used to though (I got into a Diablo fix). Max settings on 2008 MacPro w/ 8800GT. Runs great. Wondering how well the MAC version will run...

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Based on my experience with COD2 Mac vs PC versions, I'm sure it will run fine.

The problem with Mac versions of these games is that game upgrades (point releases) tend to come out for Mac later than point releases for PC. The result is that on your Mac, you have COD4 version 1.4 while everyone else (PC users, who represent the majority) are using v 1.5. Now when you log on to the Master Server, all you see is the handful of servers still running the old point release instead of the 10,000+ that are running the new version.

Anyway, that's been my experience with COD2. As a result, I play the PC versions of COD2 and will stick with the PC version of COD4 via BootCamp. Other than the very minor annoyance of having to boot into one OS vs the other, it's not a problem.

6. oban14 macrumors 6502a

You really owe it to yourself to try finishing the single player campaign. The plot twists and surprises are worthy of Hollywood, and it's the only game I could ever say that about. It gets better a few levels in.

7. junior77 macrumors regular

Is this still true with intel based games? Or was this more so true with Powermac ports?

I've been holding off purchasing CoD4 for windows based on the arrival in ~may.

Safe to assume you cannot compete against consoles? Shame as most of my friends have either PS3 or 360!

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I played the demo on full settings on my MP. I have the xbox version, so I don't have the full game for computer.

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

I'm not sure what a Powermac port is. Almost any game of any note that I can think of, FPS anyway, are written for the PC first because it's the dominant gaming platform. There may be some, but I can't think of any games written for the Mac first, then for PC. This whole point release/version disparity may be unique to certain games, but I recall it as being an issue beginning with Quake III, which was written for both, and it's been an issue on COD2 as well.

Consoles have their own master server and PC's can't play with them. The gaming is similar, but the controls are different. IMHO, the playing field isn't level between consoles and PC's.

10. Fuizer macrumors member

I play it with my MacBook Pro and it works just fine, the only problem I encounter with the MacBook Pro is while running a game that eats up the graphics, ram and processor the computer gets really hot thus making the fans spin to annoying sounds. Haha. So if it works well on my MacBook Pro... it must run wonders on a Mac Pro!

11. junior77 macrumors regular

I was referring to games that were specifically written to run on Powermac IBM processors versus newer games that are written to run on INTEL chips. Obvsiously most games start out as Windows games that are ported to the mac.

12. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I played it on XP in BC with all settings on Maximum and it played just great. Another great game is Frontline Fuel of War. This plays great with all settings on Maximum. Good storyline and great graphics.
    Alan

13. sandiegodnb macrumors newbie

sandiegodnb

boot-camp or VMware

I am interested installing Windows Vista using boot-camp or VMware Fusion so I can play (Games for Windows – LIVE) like Frontlines™: Fuel of War™ and Gears of War® because I have A Xbox 360 Live account and I want to use my wireless XBox 360 Controllers via USB Microsoft Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows and Chat with my xbox 360 friends. plus I don't like using a keyboard and mouse playing games because I am so accustom to Controllers. but I don't know what program to use boot-camp or VMware Fusion? need help, thanks

14. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Use Boot Camp, VMWare will not be fast enough for 3D-intensive video games.

15. bandaros macrumors member

I play on close-to-max settings on my stock Octo. I highly enjoyed COD2 - but I absolutely love COD4. Single Player is great.

16. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Absolutely use Boot Camp. Fuel of War (which is a great game by the way) will not run in Fusion or Parallels. If it could play in those programs it needs (or looks and plays better) on DirectX10 which neither supports.

17. sandiegodnb macrumors newbie

sandiegodnb

thanks