Anyone here play Call of Duty 4 with the Radeon 4870?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheSpaz, May 15, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I play CoD4 a lot and I have a first gen. mac pro with an 8800GT installed in slot 1 (for 16x performance) and CoD4 just doesn't run that well. I have "Sync Every Frame" turned on because I hate horizontal tearing and I get 40-60fps most of the time but it even drops down to 30-35fps in places. Almost every map runs like this and this game is like 100x better in Windows on the SAME MACHINE. I don't really feel like always booting into Windows to play a game.

Also, I have every graphical special effect turned off (ie: Shadows and Specular Map). However, in Windows, I can leave both of those options on and still get a constant 60fps EVERYWHERE in almost EVERY map.

So my question is... how much money do I have to spend to get that same experience in Mac OS X? I thought the 8800GT would be great, but it's not.

Does anyone here play CoD4 and have an ATI Radeon 4870? If so, what do you get for framerates? Please help me out. I hate Windows and I'd rather not use it.

2. JollyRogers macrumors regular

i do. i'll get back with you over the weekend when i have some time to test it. i was using 8800gt and now have 4870... i see a difference. i am on a 2008 MP though.

Update: OK, I just ran it for a while in single player in OSX. Never got below 70fps and was usually 90fps outside. Inside was well beyond that. thats at 1280x720 4X AA with everything on/normal. I do not run with sync every frame... guess cause I dont notice any video tearing. I can play at higher resolutions with no issue, but usually just run that so I can see everything on my 23" monitor.