Anyone here purposely turn off Wifi to solely use LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ducatiti, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Seems like I have a strong LTE signal here at home so I turned off my Wifi for faster speed. Is this something commonly done by the community here?

2. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I am on a 2GB plan, but I usually can't be bothered to turn on the wifi radio. It eats the battery and its a pain. If I have to download something big I will flip it on, otherwise it is off. I have never gone over my limit. And with LTE, since Friday, I have used 228MB of data.

3. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wifi uses less battery than cellular data.

4. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Always keep Wifi on in my house as it is still faster than LTE.

I have 40MBPS download. 5 Upload.

I am only getting 1 to 2 bars of LTE in my house so Wifi is the best option but when I am out and about I get full bars of LTE.

I just hope that within 5-8 years everyone can get unlimited data.

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'm a medium to heavy user and can get wifi at work. I've been turning wifi off and keeping LTE on to test battery life solely on LTE. Getting better than expected battery life on LTE.

6. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I think LTE uses less power than many think as I am on LTE all day and come home with more power left in my battery than when I was using my 4S. Only have 2 bars at home on LTE but the speed is incredible and the phone voice quality GREATLY exceeds what I had on 4G. No more echo, etc. Crisp and clear phone quality!:)

7. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

8. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

I never use my wifi. Lte is quicker and I have unlimited data

9. phillypharm macrumors regular

^This exactly. I'm at 3.5 gb so far, only half way through the month. I used about 1gb on my thunderbolt. Usage def going up with the new phone, so glad I kept unlimited on VZW. :D

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Pretty much the same here. I did some speed tests last night. LTE was nearly triple the speed of my home wifi on both my iPhone and my iPad. :apple:

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

When I'm at home, my wifi is much faster than LTE (100Mbps fiber) but when I'm out, I sometimes turn off wifi to use LTE on the phone rather than my LTE wifi hotspot. The hotspot only gets about 6-8Mbps on average, but the iPhone 5 gets 15Mbps or so - when LTE is available. Unfortunately my carrier's LTE coverage in Tokyo is horribly spotty, and 3G is slow as hell, so it's easier to just leave my hotspot on and use it.

12. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

you cant use airplay and wireless syncing with WiFi off though, I'd choose to keep it on just for the convenience of using those over the web speed increase as I rarely use my phone for the web while at home anyway.

13. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

With WIFI off I was loving the LTE until I noticed that I had hit 2.5GB of data. WIFI is now back on.

14. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

That's a good point. I usually turn my on at night for my iCloud back up.

15. mobiletech macrumors member

Rofl we will most likely think back at that point and talk about how cheap data was.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I did for a bit after I got my phone yesterday (and was honestly blown away by how fast it is compared to 3G), but probably won't if I'm at home or the office, I have unlimited but would prefer wifi in those situations.

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Apparently you have not followed data usage and plans. We are not going to see unlimited data - it is going the other way. Pretty soon, NOBODY will have unlimited data.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's only happening if time is circular, more like in 5-8 years no one will have unlimited data. Frankly I'm shocked (but not complaining) that AT&T allowed me to retain my $30 unlimited on 4G.

19. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I still use wifi although I have unlimited LTE. I get better battery life, and iTunes only lets you download 50MB max on LTE.