Anyone here still on a Rev.A macbook and not foreseeing an upgrade in next 5 years?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WillMak, Nov 24, 2008.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Just curious is anyone else here is still on a rev.A macbook (or ibook/powerbooks!) an not seeing a need to upgrade again for another 5 years. The new macbooks are nice and I would like one, but I've always had my computer purchases be motivated by a "need" and not a "want." I have a 1.83 ghz macbook with 2 gigs and the machine still zips and flies for what I use it for.

However, my screen has these white blots that won't go away and are probably permenant, so if I do upgrade it would most likely be when these blots annoy me too much. But if I didn't have them, upgrading probably wouldn't even be in my thought process. Does anyone else here feel the same way I do? A part of me actually wants something dramatic to happen where the software will jump up so much that my hardware can't keep up as well anymore just so I have an excuse to get a new laptop lol :D.

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Sounds like your trying to find your reason to "need" to upgrade.
    If your happy with what you have then keep it. If you want to upgrade then upgrade.

3. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I change laptops more than once a year. It's important to me given the hours I spend with it everyday.

Besides, life's short, gotta do everything to make myself happy.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I have (had) a rev A. MB core duo 1.83. Worked great. However I decided to upgrade just due to gaming and the larger screen.

I was looking, but waiting for a deal, as I didn't need one. Ended up with a 2.4 Penryn MBP for 1050. Actually sold the MB 1.83 for 675 with 2GB ram and 60GB HD. I couldn't believe it, happy with the results. But I was waiting for the perfect deal, knowing I didn't need to upgrade.

Differences I find are that I am worried about hurting the MBP due to the metal. The MB I would throw around and not worry, but I am worried bout denting the MBP. Also it is bigger. I know ~1.5 inches isn't much, but its more to lug around, so much I had to buy a new bag. Having a Core2Duo was nice as well, as I always wondered what it would be like to be using a 64 bit processor and software (no difference).

However the power is greater, especially gaming. I also appreciate the expresscard 34 for reading SD cards. Granted I wouldn't have done it if I didn't find a great deal, but I am glad I did.

I wouldn't upgrade due to a new form factor, but if you find yourself with a need, why not? You can sell your laptop for at least 500, so it wouldn't be that much to upgrade.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I'm content with my perfectly running first gen MacBook. All I've done is quadruple the RAM and double the HD. I don't know about another 5 years but I'm good for now. -GDF

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Do you have applecare on your rev a? Have you tried taking it in for the screen blotches?

7. Lee1404 macrumors newbie

I wish I needed to upgrade...

I'm all set to upgrade to a shiny new MacBook, I went to the Apple Store and played with my future toy for half an hour, waited for the sales assistant to say 'Can I help you' then I mumbled something like 'Hmmmp nope, just browsing' and walk away empty handed :mad:

I just couldn't bring myself to hand over the cash. There's no need to retire my Rev A MacBook that does all I ask of it.

Now if only I brought a Dell instead, that would have died by now and I could upgrade guilt free :eek:

8. dubels macrumors 6502

Just do it! :rolleyes:
    I am still on Rev A. macbook but the "want" is taking over...

9. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

LOL this is what I love about apple products! You want to upgrade to the latest fashionable version they have out, but there's no need to! For instance, I bought my ipod video going on 3 years ago now..and it's in perfect condition, not even half full. It's a great feeling, considering back in the day my non-apple mp3 player broke in less than a year, and portable CD players break all the time. I hope it's the same thing with my mac, in a few years I want another, but it hasn't crashed so I can't :)

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I still have my Rev.A Macbook and feel no inclination to upgrade to a newer model. I upped the RAM to 2Gb the other week just because it was so cheap to do, I'll probably upgrade the harddrive when Snow Leopard comes out, and that should leave me set for the next few years really.

The laptop is plenty powerful enough for what I do.

11. molala macrumors 6502a

Everytime I really wanted to upgrade but not yet needed to, I waited and bought at the next revision. It minimises the guilt. :)

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I used my 800mhz iBook G4 from 12/2003 until just this October when the unibody Macbooks came out.

Just had to upgrade the RAM from 256 to 640MB, and replace the HD about a year ago. Ran like a champ, but just started choking out on internet video and I've been waiting to upgrade for a while :p

13. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Just came in from a PC and used a Mac for about a month already. Macs are so much better than PCs, as my laptops running Windows usually starts slowing down after a month from the date of purchase. My MB still runs like the first day I opened it up. I am looking to upgrade after 3-5 years or when my MB dies :(. I hope it will run at least 3 years, cause my PCs usually die within 12 months.