Anyone in UK on Three?

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I just switched providers, and noticed in Settings>Network that there is no "Mobile Network" tab to edit APNs like my old provider

Is this normal?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Most providers block editing those settings.
Indeed.

Every carrier can configure certain settings on your device using a "Carrier Settings" file distributed through Apple.

Three uses the same APN "three.co.uk" for everything (Mobile Data, Tethering and MMS), so there's not a lot to change!

You might also note that they've disabled the "Enable 3G" toggle, due to them only having a 3G network (when you roam onto Orange's 2G network in areas they don't have any coverage, it costs them a lot of money, so they want to avoid that except where it's essential).

Terrified

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
You might also note that they've disabled the "Enable 3G" toggle, due to them only having a 3G network (when you roam onto Orange's 2G network in areas they don't have any coverage, it costs them a lot of money, so they want to avoid that except where it's essential).
What's weird is that I still regular get Edge coverage with them - but no data can actually transmit or receive on it. Always very frustrating.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
What's weird is that I still regular get Edge coverage with them - but no data can actually transmit or receive on it. Always very frustrating.
Three no longer offer data on the "2G fallback", but the way they've configured it, the phone will still open a connection (putting the applicable data icon on the screen), but no data can be sent/received.

They've really cut back on the areas where it's available (basically anywhere where they consider their own network to be good enough).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.