Anyone in UK on Three?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ashin, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I just switched providers, and noticed in Settings>Network that there is no "Mobile Network" tab to edit APNs like my old provider

Is this normal?

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Don't have it either. I think I had them when I was on O2, not 100% though.

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Most providers block editing those settings.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Indeed.

Every carrier can configure certain settings on your device using a "Carrier Settings" file distributed through Apple.

Three uses the same APN "three.co.uk" for everything (Mobile Data, Tethering and MMS), so there's not a lot to change!

You might also note that they've disabled the "Enable 3G" toggle, due to them only having a 3G network (when you roam onto Orange's 2G network in areas they don't have any coverage, it costs them a lot of money, so they want to avoid that except where it's essential).

6. Terrified macrumors regular

What's weird is that I still regular get Edge coverage with them - but no data can actually transmit or receive on it. Always very frustrating.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Three no longer offer data on the "2G fallback", but the way they've configured it, the phone will still open a connection (putting the applicable data icon on the screen), but no data can be sent/received.

They've really cut back on the areas where it's available (basically anywhere where they consider their own network to be good enough).

8. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46