anyone install a SSD in the new MBP (non-retina) yet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by latestmonkey, Jun 20, 2012.

1. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

I'm looking to buy the 13" and that $500 premium is killing me since I can get a 256GB crucial ssd for $250.

Has anyone successfully upgraded it on their own? was it hard?

I wonder if it's worth the extra $250 to just apple do it.

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Apple will not do it and don't take it into to them, they will void your warranty. The upgrade is definitely worth it, and you will see a significant increase in speed.

Here is a ifixit video on how to install HDD/SSD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j1f7wotR_CQ
    Guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Install...body-Late-2011-Hard-Drive/7656/1#.T-ILLmOISSr

Just a note. The guide/video is for the older MBP that uses standard Philips screws. I believe they are now using pentalobe screws with the new 2012 lineup (based on the fact that the new retina has them, but can't confirm). Aside from that, everything else is the same. You'll want to get this screwdriver through: http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/MacBook...=macbook_pro_with_retina_display#.T-ILV2OISSo

You'll also need a torx (T6) screwdriver. http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/T6-Torx...acbook_pro_13"_unibody_late_2011#.T-ILr2OISSo

3. latestmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think I was clear. It would cost me about $250 to get a third party 256GB SSD. or I can have apple (BTO) with a 256GB SSD for an extra $500 over the stock price. The difference being $250. Basically paying an extra $250 not to deal with opening it up, etc.

By the way, someone told me in another thread that the HD is a user replaceable item and does NOT void the warranty.

4. Geo411m macrumors regular

The HD is user replaceable and does NOT void warranty. It was super easy to replace, and only took me about 10 minutes to do.

5. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Ditto here

6. latestmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

on the new just released MBP?

That is great news for me.

I'm thinking then just get the stock for $1199 and upgrade to a crucial m4 (only $205 on amazon right now). Then get the ram in the future if I need it (last I checked it was $50 on newegg).

7. Kingofnima macrumors newbie

8. Geo411m macrumors regular

Yes, I just got it like 3-4 days ago. I upgraded the drive right out of the box.

9. latestmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

hot damn. so glad I asked.

can I ask what screwdrivers you needed? I looked at the ifixit link but I think they list every screwdriver you need to tear the thing down and I don't want to do that.

I guess I should also ask how good you are with these things. Super easy to you might not be super easy to me. (though I did just put an m4 into my 2008 MBP.)

10. Geo411m macrumors regular

I had a small screw driver set. One was a small star head and a pentalobe I believe. Not sure of the later.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yup very easy to swap RAM and hard drives jsut a few screws and a SATA cable for the hard drive

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

All of the OG MBP models use phillips screws for everything except the one holding down the battery I believe.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the screws in the side of the hard drive that hold it in place are torx 9 i believe

philips #00 for the bottome plate and the little plastic stick that secures the hard drive down

14. Geo411m macrumors regular

You are correct, I believe I needed a screwdriver with a larger handle for the screws in the HD itself because I couldn't get enough toque with the mini screwdriver I was using.

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks