Anyone install a wd scorpio blue in their 17in unibody?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ride9650, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

So I just put in a new 640gb Scorpio blue into my 17in unibody, but had to deviate slightly from the instructions.

I basically had to leave out two of the mounting screws in order to get the thing to fit.(to be more specific, the 2 that would have gone on the left side of the drive.)

seems to fit quite snugly, but I'm not sure if it's cool to leave it like that or not. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get the drive in with all 4 screws, just wouldn't slide in nicely. It kept getting stuck almost as if there was something underneath it preventing it from settling in the HD bay.

From what I understand, all the wd laptop drives should fit so I'm not exactly sure what's goin on

2. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Oh also I keep hearing a springing sound every so often.I assume is from the drive, does anyone know if that's normal?

3. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

Its normal and its not. That sound might be the sudden motion sensor. MBP's have one and the WD Scorpios have one and they might be fighting each other and overzelously parking the HDD head giving you that noise.

you could try disabling it> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1934 and let the WD do all the work instead of the MBP, hopefully that will reduce the clicking and springy noises.

Attached Files:

4. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the tip! Seems to have helped slightly.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

How do you like that WD 640GB drive? I'm playing with the idea of getting one to put in the SuperDrive's place on my MacBook.

6. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, with the exception of that springing noise, which is slightly disconcerting, all is well, and its running fine. Things oddly enough seem slightly faster.

Registered, and was a little surprised to see a 3 year warranty too!

7. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

The Scorpio Blue does make a fair bit of noise. My external drive is a 320GB Scorpio Blue fitted to a cheap external case, and it's been rattling away for nearly a year. It's the only noise my Mac Mini rig makes.

Oddly, the 160GB Blue in the Dell is totally silent.