Anyone interested in being part of apple student website?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jamesybsu, Mar 5, 2009.

1. jamesybsu macrumors regular

I have an idea and is curious if anyone here would be interested helping design and build a website with me that can be a resource for students and apple and its related products. There is always a lot of questions out there by students, as well as resources for only students related to apple, and I can't find a site that does this. Students are a growing part of Apples success, but don't have a resource dedicated to them. I have a domain and everything ready to go, just would like someone else to help get this thing going. I am currently thinking of a Joomla platform, as I have experience with both this and Wordpress, but am up to suggestions! You can always PM me if you don't wish to replay here. What do you guys think?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's a similar setup on Facebook on the Apple group. Admittedly though, the "discussions" there are highly immature, but that's often what you get with students.

The number of students turning to Apple is growing, but not sure how much a new site dedicated to just students would help. How do foresee this site offering more than a site like Mac Rumors? Asking out of curiosity, not trying to put the idea down.

3. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I agree... Whilst it's a nice idea, I can't see how it could be better than a google search or a trip to one of the many helpful forums that already exist, such as Mac Rumors. How would you differentiate & how much time would you put into keeping the 'crap' out?

4. jamesybsu thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the response - constructive criticism is always good. I'm thinking it becomes more than just forums for discussion, but just information / resources that students who use apples might need. These are a couple ideas that I have thought about, but not sure if it makes sense - place about apps for iPhones / iPod touches that students can find useful, research tools and software students are doing with apples or mac software and development, store information about difference in pricing and links to other student software sites, discussion board for what work students are doing (gallery?).

I post this understanding that macrumors forums / site is so vast that everything is probably already discussed somewhere, so maybe its a bad idea.

hmm