Anyone know a good online retailer to buy a custom MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darkus, Oct 19, 2008.

1. darkus macrumors regular

I want to buy a macbookpro except have a larger 7.2k HD in it such as a WD scorpio installed in it from the beginning. I know in the PC world there are tons of retailers that will modify a new computer before sale. Is there any equivalents in the world of apple that are big and reliable? I tried contacting "MacMall" about this but haven't heard back from them yet.

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

apple.com
    they sell the macbook pro and 320gb 7.2k rpm drive is an option.
    Another option is to buy the laptop and the drive separate and install yourself. It's only a couple of screws to take out the drive now on the macbook pro and it doesn't void your warranty to replace it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My thoughts, exactly!

Attached Files:

5. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

MacMall was about 30 cheaper than the education price plus taxes on a 2.8 with the 7200 rpm drive. It depends on your taxes because MacMall doesn't charge them. They are definitely cheaper than retail and have many of the custom configs listed.

I've never used them for a computer but have bought accessories from them.

I ended up getting an extra 100 off through Apple so it was the best price even after tax for me, but you might give MacMall a try.

6. darkus thread starter macrumors regular

But the apple store doesnt sell the now "old" macbookpro anymore. I want a MBP with matte screen with some custom HD options (not the standard apple 7k hardrive, but something extra). Any other suggestions besides MacMall ?

Thanks!