Anyone know any phones that RECORDS your calls, and saves as a file?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ehoez, Oct 8, 2007.

1. ehoez macrumors member

Anyone know any phones that RECORDS your calls, and saves as a file?

Thanks

my ex-husban keeps calling me with threats, and i need to get him on tape.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Unfortunately, I believe it is technically illegal to record a phone call without informing the person on the other end of the line...so I don't think any mobile phones do this.

However, you can buy special recording devices that hook into a wired phone line. If you've still got analog phone lines (no VoIP) in the house, you can try that.

3. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Lots of phones do this, Sony Ericssons, Nokia smartphones do as well. It's a case of activating the voice recorder whilst in a call. Just be aware that some phones beep at intervals to warn the other person of the recording.

-Leemo

4. BigDaddy5 macrumors member

This varies from state to state. Some states allow you to record a conversation with one parties consent (i.e. only you have to know), and some require both parties.

5. pna macrumors 6502

Please tell me that you've informed your friends, family, and the authorities about this, for your own safety. We had a tragedy on campus last year that had its roots in exactly the same kind of behavior. Be safe.

6. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

7. tomrinny macrumors member

All of the motorola iden phones do. They dont beep to warn the person either. You could pick up a cheap boost mobile iden headset and use it.

8. ssajous macrumors member

Not in all states

It's not illegal in ALL states. But that should be a consideration for sure.

9. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

My Sony Ericsson K300i does it. It's a crappy phone otherwise though :p

I live in the UK so I can't comment on legality, but I've done it multiple times for fun.

It saves it on the flash memory as an AMR file, which I managed to convert to an MP3 using a utility which is only available for Windows. Oh well whatever.

Also transferring the file to a computer will be hard, the phone lacks Bluetooth, so you can use a special USB adaptor from Sony Ericsson or Infrared.

Although I'm sure Sony E.'s higher end phones with Bluetooth do it too.

10. shadowboxer macrumors newbie

shadowboxer

It is not illegal in many states including LA to record your own calls. One of the things I miss most about my Palm based treo is CallRec, a fantastic program that secretly records calls and saves them to the sd card in hi quality mp3 format.

Link here: http://www.qmobilsoft.net/

11. lanray macrumors regular

consider obtaining a restraining order

If someone you know is threatening you, I would try and get a lawyer to obtain a restraining order. If you can't afford it, there are usually organizations that can help you do this.

12. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

seriously, don't mess around with it.

Ask for help, get help, stay safe.

13. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

All states allow recording of conversations with only 1 party consenting except for 12 states: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington.

Federal law allows you to record conversations with one party consent unless a state law is more restrictive.

The state law that is most restrictive applies (e.g., you call from Georgia to Connecticut, you are required to get two party consent because even though Georgia allows one party consent, Connecticut law supercedes Georgia law because it is more restrictive).

Arizona allows not only one party consent, but also allows no party consent if the person subscribing to the phone records it. In other words, if the phone is in your name and you pay the bill, you can record conversations on that phone line without anyone's permission.

14. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

You shouldn't have a problem and will probably never get arrested for recording a conversation like that in any state. Getting a court to recognize and accept such a recording as evidence is another story.

I'm not aware of any devices that would let you do this if your phone doesn't support it. As others point out, a lot of cell phones have this option, however, iPhone isn't one of them.

There may be some inline recording devices you may be able to pick up at a radio shack? and hook that up somehow?

15. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Just found this online..might be worth toying around with...

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

" Linein " is a piece of software for Mac that allows you to input sound to your computer made by Rogue Amoeba ?

If you can manage to get your phone call to go through your iPhone headjack and into your Mac via line in you maybe able to record the conversation using your mac.

Turns out its also freeware so you can use it for free

EDIT: didn't have to look far to find software to record from Linein software, http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/ , hope everything works out for you.

16. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Here's a site that has the laws from state to state of phone conversation recording. I'm surprised only 12 states require the consent of both parties, but I be misreading it.

17. ehoez thread starter macrumors member

what nokia model u know does it?

thanks
    GSM prefered.

i dont care about the laws.. im not trying to record EVERY call, i just wanan turn it on, on that ONE person.

18. ehoez thread starter macrumors member

please.. anyone a model number? so i can just buy it on ebay?

19. isleofjib macrumors regular

the sony erickson z2520 does it. it does beep during the call tho. beyond that, it is a very good phone. best of luck to you.

20. AndyKeith macrumors newbie

Just check out the model available at QuotationJunction. They don't sell phones but you could get quotes from genuine suppliers and could compare the features & prices

21. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Well, that is illegal in a lot of states unless the party is aware of the conversation being recorded. However, I believe it was my Motorola T720 that allowed me to make a voicenote while on the phone. It could only be a minute or two, but it recorded whatever you were talking about. I am not 100% sure that it was my Motorola T720 either, I have had too many different phones over the years.

22. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

these nokia phones should work perfectly without a beep with Total Recall. I have total recall on my Nokia N95 8gb and it works great, but its a $700 phone.
    If you need total recall, pm me
    Nokia 3250, 5500, 5700, 6110,

6120, 6121, 6290, E50, E51,

E60, E61, E61i, E62, E65, E70,

E90, N71, N73, N75, N76, N77,

N80, N81, N81 8GB, N91, N92,

N93, N95, N95 8GB

http://www.killermobile.com/newsite...-call-recording-software-for-s60-devices.htm

23. ehoez thread starter macrumors member

24. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

diamondvoice.com

I don't know ANYTHING at all about them, but I DO know they have a service that does that on any cell phone.

25. dojoman macrumors 65816

Mel Gibson? Sorry had to say it.