Anyone know anyone in NYC area who will do SSD install on new 27'' iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nafai23, Sep 1, 2011.

1. nafai23 macrumors regular

I wanted to add a second SSD and while I have built many other systems in the past, I am a little intimidated by getting the logic board back in after installing.

Anyone know anyone safe to do this in the area?

Tekserve said no way, and ChargedPC does not answer emails and even though they are 1/4 mile from my apt they do not seem to want to let me drop off which seems like a red flag.

Thanks!

2. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

If you've built systems in the past, then I wouldn't be too worried. I put an SSD in my 21" 2011 model last week, and I hadn't built a computer in over 9 years. While the hardest part was getting the logic board back in, if you pay close attention when you take it out, you shouldn't have too many problems putting it back in. It was definitely challenging as it took me a total of 45 minutes to take the logic board out, plug in cables and properly put it back but I was being extremely patient and careful, it also saved me over 150 bucks by just doing it myself.

3. err404 macrumors 68020

The iMac isn't that hard to work in. Just take it slow and follow the step-by-step instructions to be sure that you don't miss any fragile cables. Your biggest issue will be keeping the glass and screen clean. PC repair shops generally do not work in a 'clean room' environment, so the odds of them leaving debris under the screen are similar to just doing it yourself.

4. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

This was not an issue for me. My apartment tends to get dusty because of my cat, and what I did worked flawlessly in keeping the lcd and glass clean.

I used latex gloves when handling the glass and lcd to avoid any print because those would be hard to remove. When reinstalling, I took a can of compressed air to the LCD, it removed all dust particles, and then before putting the glass on, I again used the compressed air to remove all dust from the back of the glass, then popped the glass on, and just wiped the screen clean with a microfiber cloth.

5. err404 macrumors 68020

Thanks! I'll try that technique the next time I venture inside.

6. nafai23 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the encouragement.

Is there a new definitive install guide these days for installing in the 2nd bay?

7. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

For the 27, still the Charged PC one I think. I used iFixit.

And don't worry, yeah it's nerve racking and all but just take your time. When I was doing mine it took a total of about 3 hours. And trust me, when I started struggling with the Logic Board I was having second thoughts, but I knew it had been done by others so I'm usually to type to work at it and figure it out.

If you're confident you can do it, save yourself the cash.

8. Chris Morgan macrumors member

Honestly, reading posts on this and other forums make it sound way worse than it is. I spent more time making sure all the plugs were plugged back in than I did with the logic board. That part was actually fairly simple to me. Just use that slimline cable people keep talking about and stick it behind the optical drive. Of course everyones mechanical abilities differ and I have a background building customs motorcycles and hotrods but this was honestly a pretty easy upgrade. Worst part as others have stated is getting the lcd and glass nice and clean. Good luck and be patient.

9. nafai23 thread starter macrumors regular

IS the slim line cable the one to use for adding a as a second drive?

There was some debate on another thread so I was curious if there is a defentive cable that works the best.

10. Chris Morgan macrumors member

If you are adding an SSD to a 27", yes you want that slimline cable that has been linked. For the 21.5" I can't help.