Anyone know if or when LACIE will update 5Big v1 nas devices to Lion compatability?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MiamiC70, Nov 4, 2011.

1. MiamiC70 macrumors regular

Anyone know if or when LACIE will update 5Big v1 nas devices to Lion compatability? They have really left us 5Big device owners out in the cold and now I have a shiney $900 POS sitting in my livingroom.

2. mtbuck macrumors newbie

LaCie recommends staying with SL or buying another, compatible drive

I upgraded to Lion, thinking that the LaCie Big 5 would have an update. Interesting how they advertised "Time-Machine Compatible"... but now a year later doesn't work with 10.7. Bummer. I expected a lot from the LaCie Big 5, but it keeps disappointing me. I don't think I'll every buy another NAS. The concept sounded so great.

It did work well as the Time-Machine back up for two of our computers for a year... but now it is turned off and useless. The response I got from LaCie is, "I apologize, but we have no information about any potential updates for this unit that would allow compatibility for Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)."

I also am having issues with our Canon Printer (but I think I'll eventually get that to work) and I was previously a big Quicken User (but I knew that Quicken wasn't compatible before the upgrade).

Needless to say, I'm a little frustrated... but I don't know if I should be frustrated with Apple or these 3rd party vendors? I've never had an OS upgrade that has stung so bad.

Of course, if anyone has any hints on the LaCie... I'd love to dust it off and backup with Time Machine again! ;)

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Here is my new revised setup.

MBP with Optibay Mod and 750gb drive which is backed up to a Synology DS212j NAS (raid1) and the 750gb drive is also replicated to a Seagate GoFlex 750gb FireWire 800 drive which I take off site daily.

I was debating on backing that Seagate drive to another external at work and let that drive sit at work.

4. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

email them. They have a wonderful costumer support and reply really fast

5. MiamiC70 thread starter macrumors regular

the concept "nas device" is great it is the company "LACIE" that sucks. I ended up with a Synology DS411slim and that company like the previous user said is fantstic. Good support, great and current website and a real dedication to thier products.

6. mtbuck macrumors newbie

What did you do with the Big 5?

MiamiC70,

From your first post, I assumed you already had a Big 5... if you now have a Synology DS411slim, did you buy that in addition to the Big 5? Did you sell the Big 5? How does the Synology work with Time-Machine? Any and all advice you have would be great. I'd love to get Time-Machine going again, but I don't think I can just go out and buy a whole new system (unless I could sell the Big 5 I already have)... and I'm now very leery of NAS systems.

Thanks for any additional advice, tips, etc. you might have in comparing the new sinology with your old Big 5.

7. MiamiC70 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I currently have both but I am selling the LACIE 5Big.
    Synology works perfect with time-machine and OSX Lion.
    Also, Synology is about 2x faster than the LACIE at transfers and this web interface is way more advanced than LACIE's.

I like having a has in 6 years have had one or another and once you get used to it's a great way to centralize and store date / stream for your house.

8. g4cube macrumors 6502a

LaCie 5big V1 will not be updated to Lion for Time Machine support. It cannot be updated. Can be used with Lion for general file sharing using SMB mounts; the AFP file services cannot be updated, hence not compatible with TIme Machine as OS 10.7.x requires the newer implementation of AFP.

The LaCie 5big V2 is Lion compatible,and much, much faster performance. It is also compatible with Time Machine.

The 5big Backup Server is even better and faster. Also Lion compatible for Time Machine backups. I replaced my original 5big V1 with a 5big Backup Server and use it to backup my Mac and Windows computers.

Apparently, the 5big chassis has different inside controller depending on the configuration purchased.

The hardware is different from what I can tell.

Some good prices in the online outlet shop; that is where I got my 5big Backup Server.

9. MiamiC70 thread starter macrumors regular

They are different controllers but the fact the Lacie has "chosen" to upgrade the v1 devices is 100% a non-technical reason. They want you to buy new devices not and they do not want to spend any resources on their old devices. All in all a pretty scumbag move leaving their early adopters in the lurch.

They will NEVER get another penny from me and I will make it a point to advise anyone to stay away.

10. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Have you given any thought to the possibility that the controller is underpowered, or lacks something to implement the changes necessary for the changes for Lion compatibility? I'd agree with your point if the hardware was the same on the inside, but it probably is not.

I have plenty of products from different manufacturers that simply could not be upgraded at some point for a variety of reasons.

I also have some products that were almost unusable after performing an upgrade, because the controller or bridge was underpowered.

No product can guarantee that all future updates will be possible. As the v1 is rather old and long in the tooth, and the newer models offer better performance, I simply moved along.

The good news is that you are free to purchase a different product from another manufacturer.