anyone know if the led cinema display is IPS or TN panel?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by migeru29, Mar 1, 2010.

1. migeru29 macrumors member

apple site does not specific if is IPS or TN panel.. also in the case that this panel is IPS.. do you know if is H-IPS or S-IPS?

thank you

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That thing is $899. Guess! :D

TN panels go for $100-$300 in that size.
    Apple never sold anything than S-IPS in their external displays and they probably won't ever sell TN, since TN is absolutely crap.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Sorry, you're right. Considering that the 24" iMac uses H-IPS and the 24" LED display uses the same panel, it should indeed be H-IPS.

However, I don't think there is much of a difference between S-IPS and H-IPS. As long as it's IPS, everything's fine. ;)

5. migeru29 thread starter macrumors member

oh god decisions decisions. im not sure if i should go for this one or the new dell u2711.. which is the same panel that the IMAC 27 use.. the only difference is that ccfl instead of led.. and of course it have more connections option.. PS3 AND WII yey!

6. phineas macrumors regular

phineas

I look at it this way, if you want or want and need the higher end display :D being apples display, than buy it. There is a difference thats for sure, you could go with the Dell 2209WA which is IPS, absolutely gorgeous display. My friend had 2 and there gorgeous. However after seeing the this Apple LED display I have started saving on the side for myself, its truly a display of perfection. Everyone see's things differently.

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I'd always choose the display with the highest possible resolution, which in your case is definitely the Dell. It has an IPS panel and is not glossy so you can be sure that the image quality is premium!

But you might consider a 30" display. They've got a higher resolution and in case of the Samsung, are not much more expensive than the 27" Dell.

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

For the cost of the U2711 right now I would rather pick up an Apple 30".

9. migeru29 thread starter macrumors member

The only one I found is this.. and seems very old and contrast ratio of the dell is much better.. i really don't care 3 inches more.. actually even the u2711 is better than the 30 inch dell.. they need to update their 30 inch monitor as they did with the 27 inch

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SyncM...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267446126&sr=8-1

10. migeru29 thread starter macrumors member

you got to be joking... that 2004 monitor with poor contrast ratio and slow response? i don't think so.

11. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

That 2004 monitor which calibrates incredibly well for photography and print (who gives a crap about ludicrously high contrast ratios as well, the important figure is the Adobe 1998 coverage), and when used for those purposes the refresh rate doesn't matter?

12. Transporteur macrumors 68030

2006 and it is still one of the best displays money can buy.
    Just for the record.
    You'll have a hard time to find a display with a similar image quality. The EIZO 30" is definitely superior, but costs significantly more.

However, "quality" indicators on the paper, like contrast, response time etc., don't say anything about the real life image quality.

13. migeru29 thread starter macrumors member

well im not a photographer, i'm looking forward to watch movies in my new ips monitor.. also this one is not even HDCP compliant.. useless for me

14. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

In which case, if you're going to use it for movies, buy a nice 32" 1080p HDTV.

15. migeru29 thread starter macrumors member

do you know an HDTV with IPS panel?

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

Unfortunately, NONE. They'd be prohibitively expensive if they were, so they're all TN right now (even plasma's dead; Pioneer was the last hold out, and they've decided to ditch it).

17. migeru29 thread starter macrumors member

check this out:

"All of Vizio's XVT televisions utilize in-plane switching (IPS) panel technology as well as a new anti-glare screen technology that improves wide angle viewing and apparent picture contrast in bright room environments respectively."

And the XVT line is also LED backlit. Same price as the Samsung LED with TN panel.. I just wonder if the IPS panel they use is a good quality one, tomorrow I will call vizio if LG make the panel for them I will buy this HDTV for sure.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2338664,00.asp

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

Interesting find. I've seen an article on the Panasonic Viera TC-37LZ85 (37") previewed at CES 2010. C-net reviewed it, and it's not so wonderful (MSRP $899).

It would be nice to see that panel makers have found a way to decrease the manufacturing costs for large IPS panels. Hopefully, they didn't sacrifice the quality to do it, but I'd suspect that's the case (hopefully just need time to iron out the kinks).

19. migeru29 thread starter macrumors member

it seems this beauty is H-IPS...

http://www.lge.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-42LH90.jsp

I will call to LG in a couple of hours

20. apw100 macrumors regular

That is just plain wrong. The 30" ACD is not even close to one of the best displays that money can buy.
    -Only covers about 76% of the AdobeRGB color gamut. Weak.
    -about $650 overpriced
    -it performance is only "average".

For about $100 more you could buy the NEC 3090WQXi which smokes the ACD.

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

Nice. Please keep us posted if you would. :) I'll try to check out the reviews.

It's looking like mulitple makers may be trying to mate IPS panels with LED backlighting. This would be great news. :D So perhaps LG (maybe another panel maker/s as well) has managed to create large IPS panels within cost contstraints?

22. migeru29 thread starter macrumors member

It's an S-IPS... geez.. i wanted to be H-IPS :) but S-IPS is alright.. I guess I'm buying this one.. the other option is to buy a plasma which they just went down in price... my cousin pioneer kuro looks incredible but the prices is just insane.. i wonder if the new panasonic may look as good as that one.

23. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

How does H-IPS, S-IPS and E-IPS compare?
    E-IPS is the worst no? What about H-IPS vs. S-IPS? :confused:

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

Maybe this will get you started. :) This would be another source that can help (offers some additional detail).