Anyone know if this is doable with AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steviejobz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

My 2nd line of a family plan comes up in Oct (let's say the phone number is 5555). AT&T won't move up the eligibility nor allow me to buy out the contract for $95 (remaining amount).

Would it be possible to order a new line on Friday onto my family plan, then when phone comes move the phone number associated with the second line to this new account and then cancel the original 2nd line?

It's important to keep the phone number so just want to be sure I can keep it and add it to the newly created account.

Thanks

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Don't you think it would be better to get the answer directly from AT&T?

3. Usertame macrumors newbie

I work for AT&T.

What are you trying to say in the bolded part? "Comes up" as in what?

You should be able to port the number, or simply switch any SIM/IMEI for the new phone to your current number.. as long as you are current as far as your billing goes.

If you have just 1 line on your account, I would not recommend adding a second line just to get a new phone and then switch the numbers and canceling the line.

What plan are you on? Mobile Share? Next or contract? What was the reasoning for not allowing you to keep your number?

4. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

I meant that the 2nd line is up for renewal / contract ends on Oct 1, 2014.

I want to get the phone using a new 3rd line and then once Oct 1 comes, I can just cancel that line without any penalty. Both phones are contract phones on a family plan (not mobile share).

My only concern is wether or not I can sign up for a new phone (which I think would be a new account) and then add that to my current family plan. In the end I want to keep 2 lines with the same phone numbers. This is just a workaround because AT&T won't let me upgrade sooner by just paying them the ETF for that line which contract ends Oct 1

5. ctbaz macrumors member

How would two lines have the same number?

6. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

Not same number on each I meant i want to keep both of my current phone numbers and don't want any new phone numbers.

7. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

If you get a new phone on the new number, you will be obligated to pay an ETF should you cancel. Or you could return the new phone and just pay a restocking fee ($35?). Keeping the new phone will obligate you to a new 2-year contract.

8. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

I have 2 lines today:

Line 1 - not upgradable until Sept 2015
    Line 2 - upgradable Oct 1, 2014

On Friday I will order new line (Line 3) to get subsidized price. Then once I get phone, will take phone number from Line 2 and put it on Line 3. Then on Oct 1 I can cancel Line 2 without any ETF fee.

Just making sure I can add the new Line 3 to my existing family plan.

9. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Not to change the subject, can I also ask

if I have a current ATT Next phone, and buy a new iphone 6 full price for the same phone number, will ATT force me to buyout the remaining balance for the next phone or continue to allow me to pay my monthly next payment over the duration of the contract?

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

This step is the one that won't work I don't think. You will be able to cancel Line 2 (and line 2's phone number) after October 1st. If you want to keep line 2's number then line 2 needs to stay active.

11. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

Yes, you can add a third line to your family plan. You will pay a $40 activation fee.

If you're so eager to upgrade on launch day, maybe ATT Next would be a good solution for you. That being said, your method of transfer should work if you are set on continuing with a contract.

Edit: Just to address the above statement, you can move numbers between phones without affecting your contract. Contracts are "per line", but numbers can be switched amongst lines without any implications as long as they are on the same account.

12. Usertame macrumors newbie

You're still obligated to make your Next installment payments.. buy a new phone outright wont allow you to just stop paying lol. But yes you can buy a new phone outright and still continue paying the Next installments as usual. Youll just associate your new phone with the old number,

You can:

1. Pay the remaining installments on the Next phone, for example if you're on month 8 of the 12 you can pay the next 4 installments and then upgrade on Next the same way you would if you had waited until the full 12months.

2. Buy a new phone outright, use it with your same number, (just an equipment change) and continue paying your installments. (this is what you asking I think)

Number one is probably the better option, it's cheaper, unless you want to keep both phones.

13. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Perfect.

Thank you.

Going with #2, plan to sell my phone. Lose a little money on this but def want Apple again.

14. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yes you can move your numbers between phones, that is no problem. The problem arises when you use an upgrade for Line C and then want to cancel Line C. You will be charged an ETF. I don't think AT&T will allow you to switch which line has the contract associated with it.