Anyone know of a baby/security camera that fits these requirements.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pruppert, Dec 13, 2014.

1. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

I am looking for a camera that has the following features. Anyone have a recommendation?

• Option to stream only to local network (no upload to a company's servers)
    • The camera connects via WiFi
    • View the video stream on iPhone
    • Two-way audio
    • Night vision

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Take a look at the Foscam line of indoor cameras

3. kris4221 macrumors newbie

External monitor won't connect

Hello,

I have a Macbook Pro (late 2011, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5) and a monitor that uses VGA. I bought a mini display port to VGA and hooked everything up. The monitor turns, but doesn't recognize my mac. It just says "no signal"

Can someone help me?

----------

sorry, that was supposed to be its own thread, i don't know how i made it on this thread

4. stempsons macrumors regular

Drop cam does all of that, unfortunately it uploads the feed to a secured server. It's worth it though, since the video quality is very good and the setup is super easy as well. I purchased one to check in on our dog when we are away.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would mess with it in System Preferences --> Displays. Also try rebooting the Mac with the display attached.

As for the original purpose of this thread, I do like the UniFi Video Camera by Ubiquiti Networks.

6. pruppert thread starter macrumors 6502

pruppert

Thank you for the recommendation. I read more about Foscam, and learned that they meet all my criteria. Specifically, I can use it only on local network or set up port forwarding on my router to directly access it from outside my home network without 3rd party middleman servers (e.g., Dropcam). I ended up purchasing the Foscam FI9831W.

Foscam also apparently has an open API, which means there are plenty of app options available for iPhone/iPad/Android.

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I ended up purchasing Livecams Pro for iOS and have been using it for years. I have 9 Foscams pointing around the house and to the outdoors and with port forwarding I can control their pan/tilt and even use the two-way audio remotely.

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

We use the foscams for our two baby monitors (one on my toddler and one on my infant). We use an app called "Baby Monitor".... It's a free (I believe) app, but there are some in app purchases. In order to use multiple cameras you have to do the in app purchase. It's pretty decent. It continues to pump out sound even if you have your iPhone or iPad screen off so it doesn't light up your bedroom the entire night only if you want to cheeck on the little one.