Anyone know of a way to do this with photo slideshows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by someone28624, Nov 19, 2008.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I'm working on a slideshow with select pictures from a family vacation in iDVD. I took 225 pictures of the trip (for a total of 485 mb of data). I want to include only select pictures in the slideshow, but include the files of all of the images in the iPhoto event with the DVD. Anyone know of a way to do this?

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Create a new event in iPhoto containing just the photos you want. Then export that to a QuickTime file. Does that help? I'm a bit confused with the question.

3. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Basically, I took 225 pictures on this trip. I am making a dvd slideshow for everyone that went on the trip, to highlight the best pictures. I'd also like to be able to put all the photo files on the DVD, so when they put it in their computer, they have the images in case they want prints of any of them, etc, that weren't in the slideshow.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK that revised description helps a lot! I think the most straight forward way to accomplish this is to actually just give them two DVDs instead- one with the iDVD burned slideshow you have created in iPhoto and the other with just the full photoset exported from your iPhoto library.

DVDs are cheap- and I really think that would save a bunch of headaches in the long run.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Create a new folder on your desktop or somewhere convenient.

In iPhoto:
    Create your slideshow.
    Export the slide show to the folder (typically as a .mov file)

From your photo library:
    Copy the pictures to the same folder.

Burn the contents of the folder all at once.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Good suggestions, but I have one question- wouldn't exporting the slide show as a .mov file limit it to Macs, or do standard PCs have the ability to read .mov files? I honestly don't know so it is not a trick question since I have never tried it.

Tied in with though is a possible downside- if there are people who were on the trip but don't have computers they couldn't see the slideshow-- whereas exporting the show to iDVD as I have done with various slideshows would produce a standard TV viewable DVD for them.

7. Wayne s macrumors regular

Why not just make two different slide shows, one with the selected pictures and one containing them all. iDVD can do separate menu's just as you would see on a commercial DVD.

8. Keebler macrumors 68030

good idea, but i think the OP wants the original files available for the other folks to have, not just appear in a slideshow.

i do this, but in dvd studio pro. i create a folder and change the setting to include that folder. of course, it might be beyond the OP's needs to buy DVDSP.

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes I would guess that is right too, because the OP mentioned wanting people to have them if they wanted to print them- so would want them to be full resolution stills from iPhoto rather than rendered slides at much lower resolution.

10. Wayne s macrumors regular

Sorry:eek: I did not read the OP's post correctly. I will go and have my eyes tested ASAP.