Anyone know of an app for a Mac to limit bandwidth / download speeds?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shippouk, Oct 9, 2013.

1. shippouk macrumors regular

Hey there
    I want to test how a few YouTube videos stream at different bandwidths.
    Does anyone know of an app to limit my bandwidth?

thanks

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Have you tried to limit the connectivity throughput on your router as that may be an option (of course that still may be faster than your ip speed).

3. mrderik macrumors member

Search for throttle and you'll find some past discussions. I've tried a number of them including the "terminal commands" with varying results. The closest program to something simple was Entonnoir. It pretty much worked to throttle Port 80 - Internet download. And it was simple and free so I would try that.

I really needed something to throttle APP Store and Software update, which evidently, can use several different ports and was found to to be virtually impossible to reliably throttle. Someday mabey Apple will figure out that some of us have to SHARE bandwidth, especially in an office environment, and feature the ability to throttle the APP store. I noticed Dropbox does, and it is a welcomed feature.

4. MDJCM macrumors regular

MDJCM

If some App developer wants to make some money, a Mac App store app that lets you limit up/down bandwidth on specific apps would be worth ££