Anyone know of an app that will let me format a drive to Fat 32?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cyberbro, Dec 30, 2013.

1. cyberbro macrumors member

cyberbro

Anyone know of an app that will let me format a drive to Fat 32?

The dives started off that way (FAT) but I changed them to OS Extended, now that Im looking to install Window's with Boot Camp. It tells me I need to use FAT only but disk utility will not let me reformat the drive back to it.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Don't use Disk Utility for that. It's not necessary, and the Windows install may fail, or you will have real challenges if you want to remove the Windows partition in the future, and would like OS X to continue on its own partition.

Just use your Boot Camp Assistant, which will format the partition, in the size that you like. That's Boot Camp's main purpose, along with preparing that partition properly for a Windows install. The normal default for any recent Windows install will be NTFS, anyway. Much better than the limitations of Fat32, eh?

3. cyberbro thread starter macrumors member

cyberbro

It will not let me do anything in boot camp without a Fat USB of some kind to start

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Ah, OK!

Connect your USB drive.
    You will need to reformat the drive, so if you need to keep anything on that external, you need to copy that to another drive first.
    If you are ready - Open your Disk Utility.
    Click on your external drive - the line with the manufacturer's info.
    Click the Partition tab, then click the drop-down under Partition Layout, and change to 1 partition. Name the partition, if you like. Click the Format drop-down, and choose MS-DOS (FAT), or ExFAT will work, too.
    Click the Apply button, and wait a few seconds until complete.
    There you go!