Anyone know of way so that iphone 5 photos aren't SMALLER than that of iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paddylaz, Oct 1, 2012.

1. paddylaz macrumors newbie

Not sure how many of you have noticed, but on the iphone 5, not only do photos have bloody big borders at the top and bottom but also when browsing through your photos, they actually appear smaller than even on the iPhone 4S...

Anyone know of a way (gallery app of some kind?) so that photos at least appear as large as they do on the much smaller 4/4s? It's a bit frustrating..I kinda thought the main advantage of a larger screen would be showing off bigger picture shots of that great camera. Alas obviously the aspect ratio change and 4:3 camera make this impossible.

2. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

What?

Show us pictures, sorry, but I cant seem to understand what youre saying here. Trust me, Iam trying hard over here.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I don't think they're smaller, I think they just look smaller since they're on a larger screen?

4. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

The photos only appear to be small since they are on a larger screen. The photos are still taken with a 8 mega-pixel camera and can be blown up to a larger size.

5. paddylaz thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an innocent question, no need for condescension or rudeness.

Ok, if you put an iphone 5 next to an iphone 4/4s, you will notice that when browsing through your pictures, the iphone 4/4s ones appear bigger. Please take my word for it, they ARE. I'm assuming this is because the iphone 4/4s slightly zooms in to fit the screen. I was just wondering if there was a way/app to make iphone 5 photos follow this size...because personally I find the iphone 5 shots too small to do justice to the shots (excluding zooming of course).

You may/may not have also noticed that apple tend to have a sneaky habit of loading their display iPhones in the stores with specially modified 16:9 photos....meaning most people do not realise how their photos will look until their at home post-purchase.

6. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Iam not trying to be rude , just to clarify.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I have an old 4S and a 5, comparing pictures now and they're the same size. The pictures on the 4S just look bigger because there is more space around the picture on the 5's screen.

8. paddylaz, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

paddylaz thread starter macrumors newbie

No. I am doing it too also. CAMERA shots (not photos you've LOADED onto the phone from other sources) are displayed significantly bigger as you flick through your roll than on the iphone 5

9. appswipe macrumors 6502

What color iPhone are you using?

It's an odd complaint that sounds like nitpicking but this was actually one of my bigger reasons to not get white. All the legacy apps will eventually be updated to lose the black borders but photo viewing will always have them and they can be very distracting. But on black then the borders just blend into the phone itself so I don't notice it at all.

10. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

and just to clarify, are you looking at camera photos taken with the same phone you're viewing them on, or have you e-mailed one photo to the other phone?
    Or are you not talking about camera photos at all?
    I thought maybe it was simply angle of view differences, but I checked my 5 against a colleague's 4 and the angle of view are the same.

Screenshots would of course, be appreciated

11. paddylaz thread starter macrumors newbie

No no no, you misunderstand. I'm fully aware of why the black borders are there. The point I'm making is that if you take a picture with the iphone 4/4s, and then take a picture with the iphone 5, and then put the phones next to each other......you will see that the iphone 4/4s displays the photo larger (due to some very small zooming). Am I describing this badly? :(

12. appswipe macrumors 6502

I guess I am misunderstanding because I did feel there is an odd optical illusion with photo viewing appearing better on the black than white. But since I no longer have my 4 then I cant make that comparison.

So what happens on the 4, is it cropping some of the original photo then? Im not trying to be rude by saying this, but if youre upgrading to the 5 then maybe you should just quit comparing the two phones anymore. IMO, both screens are too small for high end photo viewing/manipulation so all photo work I do on the iPhone is very casual since they almost always look worse when put on a regular sized monitor or printed.

13. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Yep

14. paddylaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok finally someone understands!

Yeah basically when your browsing through the camera shots on let's say your iPhone 4S, the software automatically zooms in very slightly on photos (I guess yeah like a sort of crop) so that the photos fill the screen. It might not seem like a big deal but it makes viewing/swiping through photos look elegant and uniform - and in my opinion it's these sort of little touches that make apple great.

On the iphone 5 though, not only do you get the black borders due to the iphone 5 being widescreen, but also even THESE bordered photos are still smaller than the iphone 4/4s because for whatever reason apple have chosen not to implement this slight zoom/crop technique. The result being you get a large screen with a very small photo in the middle.

15. darster Suspended

For the love of god. You have been asked to take a screenshot several times now. Just do it and prove what you are trying to say. Why is that so hard?

16. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I know what you are talking about. My partner has the 4 and all his photos are ever so slightly zoomed in by default when browsing. If you pinch to zoom out you can see the full size with black boarders. On the 5 the black boarder are there by default. The only thing I can think of is that if they zoomed all the pictures in to fill the screen like they do on the 4 is would crop too much out because of the large screen. Still they could have zoomed it in the same amount they do on the 4 so the bars appear smaller.

17. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Just compared my iPhone 5 to my wife's iPhone 4S. Not really seeing an size difference in photos taken. The 5 has larger black boarders on top and bottom because the images are still 4:3 on both phones which means the 4S and its 3:2 is closer to the 4:3 than the iPhone 5's 16:9, but the actual images don't appear to be any different in size (at least not dramatically). Have you actually taken a ruler to the images and measured the diagonal length of the images to see if they are truly smaller?

18. paddylaz thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a JOB. And it seems the other mistake I made was taking time to put this on the forum to see if there was a solution but also to give a heads up to a prospective upgrader. I don't have a third bloody camera around here just see for yourself. I'm not your enemy nor am I trying to deceive you.

19. appswipe macrumors 6502

Just curious, but would taking photos in 16:9 make this problem go away for you?

Personally, I kinda wish there was a 16:9 camera option for those shots I want to display exclusively on the iPhone or an HDTV through Airplay. I know the photos taken while shooting video are 16:9 but they are very low quality and only look good on the phone so I'm wondering if a 3rd party app (or future feature addition) might work for this issue.

20. afd, Oct 1, 2012

afd macrumors 6502a

You don't need a camera to take a screen shot, just press the power and home button at the same time. Your situation, seems like a "words fail me, see screenshot" one so thats why folks are asking for one.

21. darngooddesign, Oct 1, 2012

darngooddesign macrumors G3

Relax.

We are asking for a screenshot because we can't see what you are seeing, not to be a pain in your ass. Its similar to when your car is making a strange noise, you can't just explain what the sound is, you have to show it to your mechanic. I do think there should have been an option to fit images to the screen, but barring that your solution is to crop all your photos to 16:9.

22. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

This is the dumbest thread I've read all day.

If you're going to compare pictures, don't take 2 with different phones and compare those. Use the exact same pictures on both phones and see if there's actually a difference. Since the phones are the same width, I doubt the difference will be much if any.

If you want the image to fill up the screen, then zoom in. Problem solved.

23. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

We are interested. We do want to understand.

Home button + power button = screenshot

That is all we are asking. Simple request, or so it would seem.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

While it might solve the problem, swipe left and pinch to zoom is slower than simply swiping left and having the photos automatically scale up to fill the screen. Its not a ridiculous request.