Anyone know the model of Factory Fitted 320gb Hard drives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soundburst, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hello, I have an early 2007 MacBook Pro Core-2-Duo 2.16Ghz and i'm looking to upgrade my 120GB hard drive to a 320GB one.

I am concerned that this will result in increased noise and heat and was wondering does anyone know the model of the hard drive I could have upgraded to (320gb) so as I know i'm getting an Apple Authorized one?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're upgrading your HD, you can choose any compatible drive... brand is irrelevant, since Apple doesn't make drives.

3. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh but I presume Apple use good quality drives hence their quietness?

Or are all notebook drives practically the same.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not likely. They used to use IBM Deathstars in desktops.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One of my external drives is a Hitatchi 200GB 7200rpm drive that I bought from OWC. It's exactly the same drive as the one that came in my MBP. You just have to read reviews and comparisons of drives to see which ones have less noise, heat and power consumption and better performance. That varies not only between manufacturers, but between models as well.

6. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

My stock 320GB 5400 RPM hard drive in my MBP Unibody is a Hitachi 5K320 (HTS543232L9SA02). But as far as I know there's a couple of different brands in the Macbooks, there's not a specific authorized one.

However, it's not warm at all (iStat is currently displaying 36˚C HDD temperature) while surfing in my bed. Noise wise it's similar to the fans at 2000rpm, just a tad louder.. but that's probably due to the fact that it's closer to my ear than the fans. :)

All and all my machine is almost dead silent so it doesn't matter if it's a bit louder then the fans.

I hope that it helped you in your quest for a new drive. As a small notice I did upgrade my girlfriend's 100GB 5400 RPM disk to the same drive as mine (the Hitachi 320GB) and according to HD Tach it showed a 30% increase in transfer speeds, which is really good. Her computer sure does feel snappier now. I guess that you'll see similar performance increase.

Take care,
    bolen

7. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've ordered it. . .it seems to be 300 SATA. Is that alright for my computer? I have no idea what it means.

9. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I put that drive in my MBP (Jul 2007), and it's noticeably louder than the 160 GB 5400 RPM drive it replaced. I recognize that 7200 RPM drives may be louder, but I think there must be quieter 7200 RPM 2.5" drives out there.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mine is so quiet, I can barely hear it, even with my ear on the wrist pad.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Those were the days!

I have to place my ear next to the palmrest to hear my Western Digital 320 drive.

12. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Is this a 7200 RPM drive? 'Cause I just ordered this for the unibody.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5400 RPM from late 2007.

14. altaskier macrumors newbie

I put in a 500 GB, 5400 rpm Seagate drive. Works fine. At a certain point in the MBPro manufacturing history the SATA controller went from 150 GByte/sec to 300 GByte/sec, though most drives (including Seagate, which I got) have a jumper that will let them work in 150 mode. It turns out when I had to have my MBPro 15" serviced a few months earlier due to the NVidia graphics chip failing, they went ahead and replaced the motherboard so I had the 300 controller already there.

The drive cost $110 from Newegg.com. I went ahead and paid $250 for an Apple-authorized service tech to do the replacement for me, both to preserve warranty and because I didn't have the half-day and the tools to do it myself. THere are also outfits on the web that advertise hard drive upgrades for around $350, where you ship the laptop to them and they ship it back.

15. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

It seems that you bought "older" technology. If you are taking the time to upgrade, you should have gone the latest and greatest.

16. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've bought older :eek: Nooooo.

I didn't know my computer was compatible with newer stuff.

Oh well. Bolen says its fine and that'll do me.

17. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had to cancel my hitachi hard drive due to delivery being unavailable.

I went for a WD Scorpio drive with whisper quiet. Are these reasonably good?

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Some people hate em, others love em. I have Seagate, WD & Hitachi 2.5 (and 1 Samsung) inch SATA drives in 4 different laptops and 6 external housings including 120GB, 160GB, 200GB, & 320GB (some are 5400rpm and others 7200rpm). They are all reasonably quiet and work very well for me. Modern drives work pretty well but with the millions of units out there, some fail. Keep good backups and you'll be fine.

Cheers,

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Seriously, why would you want to fit another drive that's identical to Apple's default, I don't know. Usually the drive they install is the cheapest bulk drive they can lay their hands on. Besides, even if you were to install the same model or brand, it still won't bare the Apple logo on the label. I would suggest you buy whatever brand you prefer or can afford. Performance wise there's not much init compared to desktop counterparts.

I have Western Digital branded HD's in all my systems, mostly because I found them to be reliable and i usually get them cheaper.

20. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

They use IBM Deathstars in laptops too!! Though they're called Hitachi Deathstars those days, still nothing but a pile of cr4p. Worst drives on the planet!!