Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Can anyone tell me why my iPhone's camera looks like it has an "eyelid"???

Posted a side by side photo of my person phone (left) and my work phone (right). Arrows pointing at the camera lens issue. My work phone looks normal.

Attachments

• iphonecamera.jpg
    iphonecamera.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 411

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Can anyone tell me why my iPhone's camera looks like it has an "eyelid"???

Posted a side by side photo of my person phone (left) and my work phone (right). Arrows pointing at the camera lens issue. My work phone looks normal.

Is it the R2D2 case that's doing that? Never seen that before.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Is it the R2D2 case that's doing that? Never seen that before.

Looked that way before I got the case (which I got yesterday). Since I took a photo of the case... Made it easier to ask about the Camera.

Honestly looks photoshopped. :eek:

The eye thing?? Unfortunately, it is not. Not sure how it affects the camera. Sometimes, the pictures seem fine, other times, they dont. I get it depends on the lighting if it effects the pictures.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
it looks to me like the ring around the inside of the back panel slid down a little bit....take the back off and look.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Here is another photo. Thanks for the link to the other thread.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 250

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It appears the housing around your camera shifted. Take it to the Apple store and have them take a look at it.

Looks like it is winking :p

Thanks, Scheduled my Genius bar appointment for Thursday. Another person posted a thread about it that I got a link to, he said Apple gave him a new phone and told them that the seal/glue must have failed causing that piece to shift down like that.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
If it isn't effecting functionality then I wouldn't worry about it. The bottom (lens side) of the camera has a sticker on it which looks like it was just placed a little incorrectly. It shouldn't hurt anything though if it doesn't show up in pictures.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
If it isn't effecting functionality then I wouldn't worry about it. The bottom (lens side) of the camera has a sticker on it which looks like it was just placed a little incorrectly. It shouldn't hurt anything though if it doesn't show up in pictures.

Why shouldn't he worry about it if its still working normally? He paid a premium for an Apple device and shouldn't have to deal with one that "shifted" in some way.

If he continued to use it normally, who says it won't get worse over time?

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Why shouldn't he worry about it if its still working normally? He paid a premium for an Apple device and shouldn't have to deal with one that "shifted" in some way.

Yea, and there are times where the pictures seem off... granted, that could be the lighting because it does not happen all the time. Either way, it is worth fixing.

Another member had this issue and Apple gave him a new phone. The Apple rep helping them apparently did not seem to think it had anything to do with dropping the phone, which I have not done and my phone is in great condition.

----------

In that first picture, with the R2D2 case, it straight up looks like an eyeball.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Yea, and there are times where the pictures seem off... granted, that could be the lighting because it does not happen all the time. Either way, it is worth fixing.

Another member had this issue and Apple gave him a new phone. The Apple rep helping them apparently did not seem to think it had anything to do with dropping the phone, which I have not done and my phone is in great condition.

----------

In that first picture, with the R2D2 case, it straight up looks like an eyeball.

Demand a BRAND NEW 4S. They're going to want to give you a refurbished one. I had to get a refurb a couple months ago and it had extremely loose/wiggly buttons. Very annoying. My reply was, "I thought Apple carefully inspects these phones." They basically said, tough shT deal with it.

Call AppleCare and ask to be forwarded to an Apple Advisor.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Demand a BRAND NEW 4S. They're going to want to give you a refurbished one. I had to get a refurb a couple months ago and it had extremely loose/wiggly buttons. Very annoying. My reply was, "I thought Apple carefully inspects these phones." They basically said, tough shT deal with it.

So do it over the phone completely? Or call AppleCare while I am at my Genius Bar appointment. Cuz my phone is in GREAT shape, other than the camera, I WILL NOT accept a refurbished phone if that have to give me a new one.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So do it over the phone completely? Or call AppleCare while I am at my Genius Bar appointment. Cuz my phone is in GREAT shape, other than the camera, I WILL NOT accept a refurbished phone if that have to give me a new one.

I personally have gotten a refurb before and they look flawless and perform that way too.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.

You're more than welcome to demand anything, however if you carefully read the warranty/apple care I don't think you'll see that you have a right to brand new unit replacement.

Secondly, unless Apple has changed its policy, you will not get a refurbished unit at all. You will get a re-manufactured unit. There is a huge difference between the two.

----------

I WILL NOT accept a refurbished phone if that have to give me a new one.

Depending upon who you talk to, you'll be very lucky to get a brand new unit. In the most likely sense, you'll get a re-manufactured unit as a replacement. When you receive this, do a quick and thorough check. Look for loose buttons, rattles (the camera is supposed to rattle a bit), scratches, etc. Make sure it works.
But for the most part, the re-man's are just as good as new units.

Just don't hold your breath for a brand new replacement. You might pass out waiting.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY

Because as much as I wish it were true Apple devices aren't perfect and if that is all that's wrong with his current phone you are taking a gamble on getting one that is more severely messed up.

And by the by, you are not entitled to a New phone if you don't bring in a New phone, you will get a refurb. Hence I say you should live with it.

webwbr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
This just happened to me... went to apple store, they popped off the back and the guy said he "re-positioned the seal". I was in and out in 10 minutes.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
What you are seeing is a piece of sponge which sits around the lens to cushion the plastic back of the phone. I took off the back of my phone and noticed the sponge square was already loose, so I stuck it back gently with a little dab of glue. Not a big job if you have the correct screwdriver...

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
You're more than welcome to demand anything, however if you carefully read the warranty/apple care I don't think you'll see that you have a right to brand new unit replacement.

Depending upon who you talk to, you'll be very lucky to get a brand new unit. In the most likely sense, you'll get a re-manufactured unit as a replacement. When you receive this, do a quick and thorough check. Look for loose buttons, rattles (the camera is supposed to rattle a bit), scratches, etc. Make sure it works.
But for the most part, the re-man's are just as good as new units.

Just don't hold your breath for a brand new replacement. You might pass out waiting.

Because as much as I wish it were true Apple devices aren't perfect and if that is all that's wrong with his current phone you are taking a gamble on getting one that is more severely messed up.

And by the by, you are not entitled to a New phone if you don't bring in a New phone, you will get a refurb. Hence I say you should live with it.

I would have edited what I said sooner if I had been at my computer. I get what you are saying. I meant I will not take a refurb cuz I will keep mine, cuz I know its in great shape, other than the camera thing obviously.

However, I understand the difference with the Re Manufactured iPhone. So as long as I got to inspect and approve it, I may be okay with that.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
However, I understand the difference with the Re Manufactured iPhone. So as long as I got to inspect and approve it, I may be okay with that.

I think that should you get a replacement, if you let the Apple genius know you'd like to check it out first to make sure all is well, they'll be more than glad to let you. I don't think they'd want you leaving with a bad unit as it would only make their job more difficult.
Just remember, you get more flies with honey. :)

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

You'd never know it was refurbished.

jetblk328i

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Gotten 3 refurbished, the first two went back after some use for other isues, last one has been spot on for over a year. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.