Anyone know where I can get a new CMOS battery for my 2009 MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Dec 6, 2015.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey everyone,

I checked eBay and nobody has a 2009 Mac Pro CMOS battery for sale; in fact, nobody even has a Mac Pro CMOS battery in the first place. All I get in the results are CMOS batteries for MacBook Pros.

I tried PowerBookMedic.com, but their batteries seem to say that they're for the Mac Pro and 2008 Mac Pro... a bit vague. I'm wondering if maybe it IS for the 2009 Mac Pro? Not sure of the model number.

BTW, is it that necessary to have a new battery? I have the internet set my date and time anyway.

2. VAGDesign macrumors 6502

VAGDesign

Go out to a watch store and get one. Of course you can have internet to correct your time and date but remember that in Verbose mode or anything before OS boot needs time/date, won't be correct.

So spend $2 and get from a local store won't hurt you ;-)

3. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Got mine from a local hardware store ( a real local hardware store , like a True Value , not a Lowes or BORG ) . Or a Radio Shack ( yup there's still some left ). Couple of bucks wherever you get it .

4. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

BR2032, they are all over any store with electronics.

5. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

A 2032 is available anywhere (Target, Walmart, CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens, etc.).

Practically every desktop computer uses one.

6. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Thanks for the replies! I should have considered that my local Radio Shack (yes, I think it's still there) would have a similar battery; thanks for giving me the model number, guys.

BTW, I live in L.A., so take whatever your batteries cost and tack on about $5. It humors me to see DIY guides online where the creator will say, "You can get ___ at the hardware store for $5." But, where I live, it's more like $10 for a rather insignificant object.

-MDD

7. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

The 2032 is perhaps the most common "coin cell" in use today. Around here (Colorado) they are available for a couple bucks in any grocery store in the battery kiosk.

8. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Alright guys, thanks for the clarification. I'll be buying a new one for sure. I know it's not a HUGE deal, but having a battery could just be safer. I wonder if it helps out with the power management in ways, because my Mac turns on immediately after I plug in its power cord... like most Windows PCs seem to do for me.