anyone know why my iphone 4s charges significantly faster than my samsung galaxy s2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevelam, Jan 5, 2012.

1. stevelam macrumors 65816

is it the difference in charging ports?
    micro usb vs apple proprietary charger?

granted the samsung s2's battery capacity is a little larger (1650 mAh compared to iphone 4s 1432 mAh) but the difference in speed is huge. without any scientific testing and just from general observation from owning both, i'd say the iphone 4s probably charges about 5x faster.

this is from my laptop usb to phone.

2. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Cuz one is made by Apple and one is made by a copy cat

3. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

I think it's because of Apples method of charging. 30 pin connector vs mini usb? Not sure though. I agree, the my 4S charges pretty quickly.

4. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I'm just messing with ya... but yes it does have to do with 30 pin connector. Iphones do tend to charge a lot faster than most others. I know for a fact though that through a USB cable it takes up to 20% longer to fully charge on any phone

5. Prof., Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

The iPhone charges from 0 to 89% rather quickly, in like an hour (maybe 90 mins) or so. It then starts trickle charging when it hits 90% and continues to charge this way until it is fully charged. This insures an accurate, full charge.

6. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Because sometimes companies like to make stupid decisions. They capped the transfer rate to very low amount (i forgot the numbers but there are threads on this floating in xda and anandtech with exact specs) and even lower when connected to a computer. Since it cannot be bypassed you are stuck with a slower charge than the device is actually capable of.

7. SurferMan, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

SurferMan macrumors 65816

The above post is correct, the transfer rate is capped on many androids, no one knows why except a repeated rumor is to keep heat down, as others have developed kernals to increase the rate with no issues. Plus the batteries are generally bigger then the iphones' as well, I think the iPhone can hit 1 amp charging to an outlet if I'm not mistaken, where I think my S2 is capped at 650 or so?

From dead to 100% my 4 takes about 2-2.5 hours, my i777 S2 about 3-3.5 hours when plugged into an outlet. If on usb to a computer about the same difference (an hour or so).

8. walie macrumors 6502a

correct, it has nothing to do with the type of cable

9. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Perhaps the chargers have different mAmp ratings.

10. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Yes, it's true. Slower charging generates less heat. Yet that said, it's largely the choice of the manufacturer that plays a part in how fast they want their device to charge. The difference in charging times between Apple & Android is not dramatic enough to impact the long term life of the battery, when most users only keep a phone for two years or so. Apple has always been very good at optimizing battery life vs charging rates, therefore they usually provide the best solution for their iPhones & Laptops.

12. cole01 macrumors 6502

this is one of the things that I absolutely couldn't stand about the GSII, succcch a slow charger

13. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

it has nothing to do with the damn cable.

Countless reviewers have said that for some reason, these samsungs take a long time to charge. The HTC's are normal.

Latest review i can think of is Aaron from phonedogs review of the SGS2. He talks about the SLOW charging in samsungs

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

What type of laptop? What type of USB ports does it have?

From the OP:

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I could understand if you they were the same phone but they aren't.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3