Anyone know why some of my text messages are sent to my email address?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Sep 16, 2010.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Not all the time - but sometimes my wife's txt messages are coming to my email account. Sometimes they also come as texts. There's no consistency. The email account it's going to is the one registered with ATT on my account. But I don't think I've ever selected anything to forward txt msgs. And it's random...

thoughts?

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Very strange indeed. I've never had that happen.

3. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I've gotten those too.

It happens when you are sending a text from an iPhone, and rather than pulling up a previous conversation, you start the message first, and type their name in the "to" field.

It will show you the available choices, and if you have both an email address and a phone number for that person, both will be an option.

If you're not observant, it is easy to choose the email address from the drop-down menu, rather than the phone number.

4. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Agrees it is most likely on the input side of things. I have almost done this myself when sending a text. I usually just respond to a previous text to make it easy.

5. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

The sender may be inadvertently sending the messages as an MMS to both your email and phone number.

6. Amino Man macrumors 6502

I used to send my brother MMS messages through email. I would use his phonenumber@mms.att.net and the MMS would automatically show up on his phone. Then, if he replied to the MMS, I'd actually receive the reply in my email and not in Messages.app.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]