Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Hi all. I've kind of been out of touch regarding computers for a long time so I'm wondering if anyone can answer this. MBP updates usually either have a minor improvement, or have a huge architectural change (eg. Penryn -> Arrandale -> Sandy Bridge) which tends to brings about huge changes with it (Core 2 to i7 to Quad Core). I'm kind of wondering, when will the next major improvement be?

Here's a timeline:

Jan 2006 - Core Duo CPUs (Yonah), ATI X1600 [Huge upgrade over PowerBook]

Oct 2006 - [CPU Speed Bump]

Jun 2007 - Core 2 Duo CPUs (Merom), Nvidia 8600M GT (128mb) [Huge CPU & GPU upgrade]

Feb 2008 - Core 2 Duo CPUs (Penryn), Nvidia 8600M GT (256mb) [Minor CPU & GPU upgrade]

Oct 2008 - Core 2 Duo CPUs (Penryn), Nvidia 9600M GT, DDR3 RAM, Redesign [Moderate CPU & GPU upgrade, Redesign + DDR3 RAM]

Mar 2009 - [CPU Speed Bump]

Apr 2010 - Core i7 CPUs (Arrandale), Nvidia GT 330M [Major CPU & GPU upgrade]

Feb 2011 - Quad Core i7 CPUs (Sandy Bridge), ATI 6770M [Major CPU & GPU upgrade, ThunderBolt introduced]

Oct 2011 - [CPU & GPU Speed Bump]

TBA 2012 - Predicted Quad Core i7 CPUs (Ivy Bridge), ATI 7770M, USB 3.0 [Moderate CPU & GPU upgrade]

Above in my opinion are the best and the worst times upgrades to the Mac pretty much based on a hardware basis of how much of an improvement there was with regards to CPU & GPU.

Does anyone know when the next big jump will be and roughly which quarter will it be released? I'm not really expecting Ivy Bridge to be too much of a jump so I'm assuming it's gonna be the one after that which is Haswell, would that be right? Anyone has any rough idea when Haswell MBPs will come out? Q1/2 2013? Q3/4 2013? 2014?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :)

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi all. I've kind of been out of touch regarding computers for a long time so I'm wondering if anyone can answer this. MBP updates usually either have a minor improvement, or have a huge architectural change (eg. Penryn -> Arrandale -> Sandy Bridge) which tends to brings about huge changes with it (Core 2 to i7 to Quad Core). I'm kind of wondering, when will the next major improvement be?

Here's a timeline:

Jan 2006 - Core Duo CPUs (Yonah), ATI X1600 [Huge upgrade over PowerBook]

Oct 2006 - [CPU Speed Bump]

Jun 2007 - Core 2 Duo CPUs (Merom), Nvidia 8600M GT (128mb) [Huge CPU & GPU upgrade]

Feb 2008 - Core 2 Duo CPUs (Penryn), Nvidia 8600M GT (256mb) [Minor CPU & GPU upgrade]

Oct 2008 - Core 2 Duo CPUs (Penryn), Nvidia 9600M GT, DDR3 RAM, Redesign [Moderate CPU & GPU upgrade, Redesign + DDR3 RAM]

Mar 2009 - [CPU Speed Bump]

Apr 2010 - Core i7 CPUs (Arrandale), Nvidia GT 330M [Major CPU & GPU upgrade]

Feb 2011 - Quad Core i7 CPUs (Sandy Bridge), ATI 6770M [Major CPU & GPU upgrade, ThunderBolt introduced]

Oct 2011 - [CPU & GPU Speed Bump]

TBA 2012 - Predicted Quad Core i7 CPUs (Ivy Bridge), ATI 7770M, USB 3.0 [Moderate CPU & GPU upgrade]

Above in my opinion are the best and the worst times upgrades to the Mac pretty much based on a hardware basis of how much of an improvement there was with regards to CPU & GPU.

Does anyone know when the next big jump will be and roughly which quarter will it be released? I'm not really expecting Ivy Bridge to be too much of a jump so I'm assuming it's gonna be the one after that which is Haswell, would that be right? Anyone has any rough idea when Haswell MBPs will come out? Q1/2 2013? Q3/4 2013? 2014?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :)

Mar 2014

dont ask how I know because I cant tell you

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Technically you are right about Sandy Bridge --> IVyBridge, however that leaves the question of exactly what speed processors Apple will offer a factor as well. Also, USB 3.0 is a possibility.

The next big jump will be when Intel and/or ATI provide the chips for it. As for Haswell? Look at Intels roadmap and add anywhere from 0 to 3 months to it.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Since Ivy Bridge is essentially a die shrink and upgraded iGPU, it may be worth to wait for Haswell, since it will be a whole new architecture. Ivy will have better battery life and graphics though.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Im going to hold off on Ivy since its the first tri-gate CPU and it hasnt convinced me enough to buy it compared to the Dual core to quad core upgrade seen in 2011.

Im guessing the next MAJOR update should be in 2014 to 2015.
But we cant guess that :p

And just an FYI, 2011 Early MBPs had ATI 6750M. Not 6770M

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock

So Apple apparently skipped one "Tock", the "Clarksfield" CPU family does not appear in any MBP. Then of course the 2010 upgrade was huge, since it was both a new architecture and a die shrink.

Then Sandy Bridge was also a big jump, mostly because we moved from 2 to 4 cores.

I would say that a new processor architecture is more likely to give you a big performance boost. On the other hand, if the die shrink allows you to add more cores, you also win. In that sense, Sandy Bridge was exceptional - new architecture + doubled the number of cores.
I don't see a similar jump in the next two years, but three small steps also make a big one!

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
The next big jump will be when MBPs go to 8-core. Won't be for a while yet. Possibly with Haswell next year, or likely Broadwell (Why did I think it was called Rockwell?) sometime in 2014.

GPU jumps are harder to predict in some ways, as AMD and NVIDIA seem to work more on a year-by-year basis, without a long term road/goal map. However, the improvements themselves are more predictable, as card performance generally just drops a bracket with each generation. For example, the 7750M/7770M performance will likely be very similar to the 6850M/6870M, but with similar power draw as the 6750M/6770M. I would just hope for a 20-40% year-by-year improvement in GPU power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units#Radeon_HD_7xxxM_Series

----------

So Apple apparently skipped one "Tock", the "Clarksfield" CPU family does not appear in any MBP. Then of course the 2010 upgrade was huge, since it was both a new architecture and a die shrink.

Clarksfield was skipped because it used a 45nm process, and had low clock speeds (<2 GHz). Where as the Arrandale family, which was released at a similar time, used a 32nm process, and had much higher clock speeds (>2.5 GHz).

And considering a dual core 2.8GHz CPU will thrash a quad 1.8GHz at most tasks (especially as we're talking 2 years ago, when multithreaded processes was not the norm, and Turbo Boost was pathetic), Apple obviously decided the quads weren't worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.