Anyone like country music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
There are few genres I won't listen to, so it means relatively little that I like country, but, yes, I like it. Born in Iowa, sort of have to like it. ;)

Suspended
Mar 29, 2004
I HATE listening to todays country music, but I have lots of respect for the genre because it had a big part in the creation of rock-and/or-roll music.

-Bowie

EDIT: Some of the old stuff may not be too bad.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I'm not a big fan of what passes for country in Nashville these days - Toby Keith, et al. I am a HUGE fan of most of the "alt country" artists signed to the Bloodshot record label - Nico Case, Kelly Hogan, Nora O' Connor, Jon Langford/Sally Timms (of Mekons fame), Alejandro Escovedo, Robbie Fulks, etc etc etc - excellent bands every one of them. Not twangy - lost my wife, car, job and I love America type crap.

Check it all out here:

Bloodshot Records

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
It's grass roots, maybe not blue grass roots, but somewhere in there. I think "Live Like You Were Dyin'" is one of the best pieces of lyrical expression and good 'ole country sound, key change and all, that's come out in a good while. I also think "Whiskey Lullaby" is one of the most pathetic pieces getting air time within the genre, but hey, that's Country Music. :)
X

iSaint

macrumors 603
The Perfect Country & Western Song

Well I was drunk the day my maw got outta prison.
And I went to pick her up in the rain.
But before I could get to the station in my pickuuuuuup truck.
She got runned over by a damned ole traaaaaain!

one of the few country songs I'll listen to...
none of the current 'artists' write their own music or lyrics. My opinion only... :cool:

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
Modern country music shouldnt even be called country. Its just alternacrap with a country label slapped on it. Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard...these are great country singer-songwriters.

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-man says...I suppose this should be in the music forum...but here's my reply anyway. Like aricher, the stuff that Bloodshot puts out is awesome...Sally Timms has the most amazing, soothing voice...her "Cowboy Sally" albums are fantastic. I like *real* country music - not the crap that comes out of Nashville these days pretending to be. Neko Case (love her "Corn Sisters" album with Carolyn Mark) is very good, Sally Timms of course, Nora O'Connor. Laura Cantrell is pretty good too. And of course the really "ol' time" stuff like Hank Williams is classic stuff. Johnny Cash of course too - his early fusion of country and rockabilly was brilliant - Luther Perkins was responsible so a lot of his sound back then...great guitarist....oh yeah!

Guitarius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2004
Louisiana
I like old country and some new country. There was a period of about ten years where country music basically sucked. Mid 80's to mid 90's. Haggard, Cash, Jones. Geniouses. That's all there is to say about that. It's getting better, but it will never be like it was. These days, I can't even tell it's country untill the vocals start. The music doesn't sound country much anymore. But I still listen to it.

Maybe it's because deep down inside I'm a good ole Southern boy. I was born and raised in the country. It's part of me, you know? I love putting on my old jeans, turning up some ****-kicking country music, taking my old Ford truck out for in some mud, and getting drunk on the tailgate. I can admit that. I even have a few cowboy hats that I can be spotted in on occasions.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
CubaTBird said:
i like clintblack.
I like him, too! I can't resist Brad Paisley and I like some Trace Adkins... I'm looking forward to more posts because I don't know much about the genre or artists... sooo yes, I'm looking for some new artists to get into. :)

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I have a preferred genre, but I will listen to and appreciate any type of music.

EXCEPT COUNTRY! I can't stand country! It drives me insane, I don't know how people can listen to that stuff.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
killuminati said:
I have a preferred genre, but I will listen to and appreciate any type of music.

EXCEPT COUNTRY! I can't stand country! It drives me insane, I don't know how people can listen to that stuff.
I think you'd be surprised at what could constitute as country. ;)

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Hello, my name is MacDawg, and I listen to country music...

There, I feel a lot better now ;)

Sure I listen to Country, almost exclusively

Shania's great, but I prefer Faith Hill or Sara Evans
Martina McBride might have the best voice of all of them

But looks like Keith Urban will be the new face of Country before long

Rascal Flatts, just awesome, they have some great songs

Hard to beat Alan Jackson, Kenny Chesney, George Strait
And Brooks and Dunn are fabulous as well

Also a little partial to SheDaisy

A fan of too many to mention, but these are just a few.

Why do I listen to Country?
I guess the song by Trace Adkins "Songs About Me" says it...

cause it's songs about me
and who I am
songs about loving and living
and good hearted women and family and God
yeah they're all just
songs about me
songs about me

Woof, Woof - Dawg

MacFan782040

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
Scranton, PA
faustfire said:
Modern country music shouldnt even be called country. Its just alternacrap with a country label slapped on it. Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard...these are great country singer-songwriters.
I disagree. THose guys are good, but that was then, and this is now. Yeah, it's gotten to be more pop-country......but it still has a big difference from something you'd hear on the other radio stations. Not just the sound, but the lyrics too, and there are other people like Alan Jackson who still come up with tunes today and he is true country.

Basically it has modernized, but all music has. I much rather listen to my country station than some crazy "POP" station that has anywhere from Brittany Spears to 50 Cent.

In what other Genre can you really hear lyrics that talk about God, America, Soldiers, ect ect ect......it's about life and that's why I like it.

Prelude2Tragedy

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
New Jersey
Big & Rich is sweet stuff even though its modernized country. Sadly, most of my "country hating" friends cant even handle them.

Old school country is awesome.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I don't like most mainstream "country" music.  Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, etc...it's just pop music with a country twang, nothing more. It's not real country music as far as I'm concerned.

There are a few artists I do really like...Dwight Yoakam, Brad Paisley, and Vince Gill for example. Most of the other country-ish stuff I listen to is either alt-country or bluegrass. I like Alison Krauss a lot, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch, and Lyle Lovett to name a few.

A really great CD to pick up is Tony Furtado's "Within Reach." He's an amazing banjo player...anyone who plays any kind of stringed instrument could appreciate it :)

jwp1964

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Enterprise, KS
Trace Adkins and Dawg are right on..."its just songs about me"

I listen to country music at least 75% of the time. The only music I don't like is hardcore rap. My iPod has over 3000 tunes and about 50% are country. My favorite country artists are Dwight Yoakum and Alan Jackson.

Nanda Devi

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
East Lansing, Michigan
One modern country artist I've been getting into lately is Steve Earle. Very good stuff, not really "traditional" country, but what you might call "progressive country". I especially like the fact that he's political and speaks out against the war and the Bush administration. His lyrics definitely transcend the typical "wife left me, got thrown in jail" lyrics that a lot of people associate with country music.

I also like some other artists that I would definitely not consider country but that I've seen labeled as such.... bands like Son Volt and Wilco and the Jayhawks.

Oh, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I've always loved John Denver. Grew up listening to him. Rocky Mountain High is essential for a road trip out West... :)

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Steve Earle rocks. My favorite album of his is Copperhead Road, followed closely by The Revolution Starts Now.

I like listening to Allison Krauss, just because her Dobro player rocks completely out.

I like the Dixie Chicks, though admittedly is more because of their political leanings and that I think they are really cool. I'm not even familiar with any of their music.

Every once in a while, I'll spin some Merle Haggard on the 'ol iPod.

All listed above is the absolute limit of my country tolerance.

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Ryan Adams--the only good modern country artist, formerly of the band Whiskeytown.

If any of you haven't heard of him, check out the album Heartbreaker. It is alt-country's finest.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
apple2991 said:
Ryan Adams--the only good modern country artist, formerly of the band Whiskeytown.

If any of you haven't heard of him, check out the album Heartbreaker. It is alt-country's finest.
Yeah Yeah Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown are great - also used to be on Bloodshot records. R.A. isn't the be all end all of "alt-country" and certainly isn't the "only good modern country artist." You really need to expand your horizons apple2991 and check out some of Bloodshot's other acts. Chances are if you like R.A. then you'll dig some of the rest of their roster. Outside of the old-school country acts (Hank, Johnny C, Tex Ritter, etc.) the Bloodshot band are the only ones I can stand.

As far as Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Brooks and Dunn, etc. are concerned just count me out as I just can't "feel" their music. To me what they produce are just window dressings of feelings - nothing that connects to the soul of humanity or what country music is about. That's just my 2¢ though. Whatever floats ya'lls boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.