Anyone like the 4S form factor better than 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bgro, Sep 22, 2012.

1. bgro macrumors 65816

Got the 5 yesterday and while LTE speeds and improved overall speed of the 5 is great I find myself missing the form factor of the 4S.

Maybe the 5 feels too light for me or something I can't really put my finger on it but the 4S just feels so nice in my hand while the 5 leaves something to be desired.

Debating if I'm going to keep it right now maybe it'll just take some getting used to after almost 2.5 years of using the 4/4S form factor.

Anyone else?

2. mainomega macrumors 6502

My wife's 5 came yesterday I still have to wait till october... this POS brick of an iphone 4s is going in the garbage when my 5 comes in.

It really is a big improvement over the 4s

3. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Noo... don't throw the 4s away, send it to me! :)

4. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

You'll miss nothing and like it. Haha jk; I honestly feel the 5 is the best device I've ever owned.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Original iPhone to 3G/3GS --> missed the solid, weighty feel of the original compared to the lighter, plasticky feel of the 3G/3GS as well as its poor fit and finish. Bonus - faster 3G speed.

3G/3GS to 4/4S --> missed the more comfortable feel of the 3G/3GS in my hand. Bonus - the 4/4S is much more solid and has better fit and finish, not to mention retina display.

Likewise, the iPhone 5 is improved in many other ways.

6. bgro thread starter macrumors 65816

I definitely think the 5 is a better phone in every aspect (speed, camera, screen size, etc). But for some reason the 4S just feels way better in my hand and I actually think the speaker and vibrate function are better on the 4S.

7. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Do I think the 4S looks better? Not necessarily.

Do I think the 4S was built better? Yes.

8. bgro thread starter macrumors 65816

Agree completely. The 3G/3GS was te most comfortable phone to hold imo.

9. NinaJ macrumors newbie

I went to AT&T to switch back to my 4S today. I'm so happy I did. It just feels so nice. I won't be switching for awhile.

10. Prise macrumors regular

For me, I prefer a phone thin. The thinner the better, since it fits easier inside a jacket pocket.

I like the shorter length of the iPhone 4 form, but the larger screen is fine. If it were any larger or wider, I'd probably prefer the 4 form.

PS - iPhone 3 is easier to hold and use, at least until I get used to the 5.

11. ET iPhone Home, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Coming from someone who has a 4S and yet has never seen the 5 in person (only in pictures), I think, I'd like the 5 more (considering it's similar to the 4/4S) if it looked like the 4S (with the same heft), and with the extra height of the 5.

Hence, Apple should've made the 5 exactly like the 4S with extra height and called it 4S-L

L for Long and L for LTE

I'm going to Apple tomorrow to check it out.

12. PerPlekz macrumors member

I love the iphone 5. i want to get that out of the way.

BUT yes, i know exactly what you mean OP. The weight of the 4s gave a physical confirmation everytime you picked it up, that it was sturdy and built strong.

Now even though i know the iphone 5 is light and built unibody blah blah, and is stronger than ever....it still feels light, so it doesn't give the impression of sturdiness that the 4s provided.

But here are the reasons why the 4s is light. aluminum body, and new screen technology results in less components and less glass all around.

It will take some getting use to , but i know that i will.

----------

omg. now even though im agreeing with OP, never would i trade in the 5 for the 4s. but hey whatever floats your boat.

13. Toxic Lemon macrumors newbie

I've decided to return my iPhone 5 and get a 4s, having had a 4 for 2 years, which I loved.

I think the iPhone 5 is to big for a girl's hand. With the iPhone 4, I could press the home key with my thumb and then turn off the screen with a finger from the same hand. My finger doesn't reach on the iPhone 5! :eek:

The quality just doesn't feel right for me and I think the back will get scratched to death in my handbag. The iPhone 4/4s just feels so solid and comfortable to me. I really, really want to love the iPhone 5 but I just don't. All the features that are important to me are in the iPhone 4s, too.

It just feels too masculine. :(

14. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I like the 5, is shape and weight.

However with that said, I like the 4/4s better. Mind you I am not complaining, we are just talking about shape and weight.

I feel more confident and sturdy with the 4s.

I''ve seen the drop tests of the 5. I have seen the cracked screens of the 4s. But truth be, glass is harder and more scratch resistance than aluminum.

The 4 and 4s are ingenious products.

What's best is something in between.... I am still happy and can't wait for my bumper case to protect the aluminum on my phone.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You only need to hit the sleep/wake button on the top to turn off the screen.

16. calvol macrumors 6502a

I looked at the 5 yesterday in the Apple store and couldn't believe how light it was, almost felt like a toy. I guess "light" is good, as long as it's durable. On the other hand, the 4S feels like a steel bar, heavy for its size. The only thing I would be afraid of with the 5 is it slipping out of my pocket and not noticing it.

17. Rigby macrumors 601

I was a bit concerned about this, since I always found the size of the iPhone 4 to be perfect. But after using the 5 for a day, I am completely happy with the new form factor. The one-handed "turn on with thumb, look something up, turn off with index finger" routine still works fine for me. I have to stretch a little to get to buttons at the very top of the screen with my thumb, but it's still manageable. The phone is also still very pocket friendly (and you barely notice it's there due to the lower weight).

I haven't tried many apps yet that take advantage of the bigger screen, but e.g. the inbuilt calender app benefits greatly.

18. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I would have to receive the iPhone 5 first before judging but I would have wanted a weight closer to the 4S.

19. NinaJ macrumors newbie

I already owned the 4S, so it was just a matter of me keeping my 4S and saving the $200. If I already didn't have the 4S, I would have stuck with the 5. If I can stick to what I already owned and liked and save my money, win for me. :D

20. yang88she macrumors regular

nope, loving the 5, had the 4S, it was great...for it's time =P

21. One-Shot macrumors newbie

Nah 5 is much better for me, especially dat black on black.

22. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

I held a 5 for the first time yesterday and I gotta say it is very awkward. I can't get over how it's like an inch taller, feels so weird. I'll stick with my 4S.

23. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

They actually went to an old school motor for the vibrate function so that's why you might not like it. I didn't either. Speaker on the other hand I ink the 5 is better,

24. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

no

Wasn't sure until I had the phone in my hand. But I really like the look of the iPhone 5 much better that the iPhone 4.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

True, the iPhone 5 "looks" like it should be heavier. I think removing the glass back was a big part of it. That said, the new design is very nice. The beveled edge on the white one sparkles in the right light, and the black is nicely done (even the antenna and bevel are colored black).

As for the screen, I'm used to the larger size already. Having the extra row means one less home screen for me, as well. The tiny Lightning connector is nice, as it leaves more room for the speakers and is easy to connect. Apple should have switched to this years ago.