Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mach1andy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Los Angeles
I've made a few sites with iWeb 06-- they're easy to create and look good but for some reason, when the sites load, they load all of these blocks with borders around them until the content is filled in. On a complex site, it looks pretty bad.

Has anyone created a site with iWeb 08? I'm curious to see if anything has been done to improve this issue. If you've made on with 08, post it here!!

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Not yet, but I'm dying to see if they've fixed the bloated inline-CSS source code. I'll be throwing a site together quickly once I get the software. Check with me on Saturday. :)

gothiquegirrl

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006
Planet Earth
Stupid Question..

I have a G3 .. and iLife '0-ld as dirt...
So i have no experience with iWeb..

Anyway.. So CAN you publish a site to another hosting provider ? Or does it HAVE to be .Mac ?

No pointing and laughing please! LOL

Ang

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
here is mine..
http://www.aaronsmithsonphotography.com
created in iLife 06 and just opened in iLife 08
only thing is I cant get the RSS to work.. arg

I just used the search tihng on your site to see how well it work because i haven't seen that on anyone iWeb before. However when i searched for "steel" nothing was found, even when searching for steel tower nothing was found. Just a heads up.

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
Do you know if per-page exporting is supported. By that I mean, if you update a part of the site, do you have to re-upload the whole thing or can you do it page by page? I also assume that web-exporting only works with .mac, or else you have to export to a folder?

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
I just used the search tihng on your site to see how well it work because i haven't seen that on anyone iWeb before. However when i searched for "steel" nothing was found, even when searching for steel tower nothing was found. Just a heads up.

thanks for the heads up
just looked at some of my other websites that is in iWeb and they are all missing data so I dont know if thats the reason why
will have a play and see what I get.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
thanks for the heads up
just looked at some of my other websites that is in iWeb and they are all missing data so I dont know if thats the reason why
will have a play and see what I get.

I think in iWeb 06 the search only worked if you hosted it on .mac servers.

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
I think in iWeb 06 the search only worked if you hosted it on .mac servers.

I am hosting it on .Mac servers
anywho I found out that iWeb was screwing up my domain.sites file after working from several back up and each of those having issues after about 10 minuntes I read on the Apple Discussions that people were hving the same issues and deleting the iweb plist worked
i just have the RSS feed issue but think that might be a safari problem. I am not running Safari 3 beta yet..

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop

Sorry to report some more problems with your site. I tried the search again and it just returned the page pictured below. When refreshing that page via cmd+r or trying to navigate away from that page it causes Safari to quit unexpectedly. So there is still something wrong with the search and perhaps it is actually worse

I have tried subscribing to your RSS feed and in Safari it doesn't work, see picture, however when i first tried it loaded up Vienna (my default rss aggregator) and that worked perfectly. Again example attached.

I have saved a copy of the crash report if you so wish.

I'm running Safari Beta 3.0.3 (525.12.1)

Attachments

• Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 45

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
Sorry to report some more problems with your site. I tried the search again and it just returned the page pictured below. When refreshing that page via cmd+r or trying to navigate away from that page it causes Safari to quit unexpectedly. So there is still something wrong with the search and perhaps it is actually worse

I have tried subscribing to your RSS feed and in Safari it doesn't work, see picture, however when i first tried it loaded up Vienna (my default rss aggregator) and that worked perfectly. Again example attached.

I have saved a copy of the crash report if you so wish.

I'm running Safari Beta 3.0.3 (525.12.1)
I wonder then if its a safari issue
I have firefox at work on 2 machines I will have a play there
I need sleep now

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I wonder then if its a safari issue
I have firefox at work on 2 machines I will have a play there
I need sleep now

Just to report back have tried several different web browsers.

Camino, Firefox, Opera, Netscape, and even Mac Help displayed the search results perfectly.

However when it came to the RSS page Opera was the only one which could deal with it, however it did exclude the pictures. The other 3 reported back "This XML files doe not appear to have any style information associated with it etc."

Side note: I would've thought that mac help would use the same webkit core that safari uses but it seems this not the case.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Apple is still using inline styles. I guess that scratches iWeb off the list of useful tools. Very disappointing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.