Anyone missing the 'MacBook Pro' text in the bezel of the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rekhyt, Feb 28, 2013.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Anyone missing the 'MacBook Pro' text in the bezel of the rMBP?

From the white MacBook (which had been previously called 'MacBook', then 'MacBook White' for a while, then back to 'MacBook') to the 1 year 'MacBook Aluminim' (MacBook Pro 13") to our beloved 15" MacBook Pros, the text on the bezel immediately tells a person which MacBook it is.

It's really been one of the defining parts of the design of the MacBook series. It's branding power is second to the glowing Apple logo on the lid of the laptops.

It's quite strange how they decided to cut it from the rMBP.

2. robvas macrumors 68020

Less bezel = less room to print stuff. They'd have to print it on the screen itself

3. Krauser macrumors regular

I'll take less bezel over a logo. Yeah, it's a defining feature of the MacBook line, but it's not like I need to constantly be reminded of what kind of computer I'm using at all times considering I bought it. I'll gladly take a smaller bezel.

4. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

I would argue that the entire design is second to the logo with respect to the branding. The user is really only ever close enough to read the bezel text.

Given Apple and Ive's focus on minimalism, I think it's perfectly understandable and expected. None of Apple's other current computers have their names on them anywhere noticeable, why should the MacBooks? We can probably expect to see "MacBook Air" disappear from it's bezel as well. Although, Apple's design language has never been completely consistent; there is always a little overlap between old and new.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Or, you know, they could use a smaller font size ;)

6. mslide macrumors 6502a

The product design should stand for itself. It shouldn't need the name of the product on it. Even the glowing Apple logo isn't necessary. Everybody who cares knows what it is.

Less Bezel >>>> some silly product logo that only the user (who definitely knows what it is) can read.

7. GFWD macrumors newbie

I know I am in a minority but what I have discovered is that I like the extra bezel on my classic 13" Macbook Pro.

I bought a Samsung laptop that put a 14" screen in a 13" sized laptop, so it had almost no bezel. I thought this was going to be great but I actually found the screen going to the edge of the laptop distracting when trying to write.

For some reason the extra black space, for me, helps me stay focused when working. Not sure why, but it does.