Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
Texas
We hear everyone say how much they love their mac. is their anyone out their that owns a mac and perfers a pc? if so why?

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
Mac and PC

I love the Macs I own, but I also am glad I have my PC. One thing it can do that a mac can't is play America's Army.:D

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Well I used to own a PC and I dont prefer it. I like apple a lot, but there are parts of apple (and moto) that I hate, and I think that is true with everyone. I would like to have moto make faster processors, and I would like apple to treat their long time fanatics better, and get the hell away from moto, etc. but we cant have everything we want. :(. Apple is a good company with some flaws that are very fixable, and I think that apple will fix those flaws in time, so I am looking forward to seeing what comes from apple in the next couple of years. We all are :D.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
The closest thing to a PC I have is my Xbox.

[Bows in shame...]

I realize I should have gone with PS2, but:
PS2: 300MHz
Xbox: 733MHz

GameCube: Doesn't have the DVD player version outside Japan, and only 450MHz.

I was really looking forward to something super fast to seceed N64, and I thought about GameCube for a -lomg- time. But when I saw the "no DVD" news report I was rather disappointed. I had a look at PS2, but, judging by the specs, it didn't seem fast enough.

So, basically, the only reason I go PC (Xbox) is games.

Everything else I use a Mac and like it duh :p

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by King Cobra

[Bows in shame...]

I was really looking forward to something super fast to seceed N64, and I thought about GameCube for a -lomg- time. But when I saw the "no DVD" news report I was rather disappointed. I had a look at PS2, but, judging by the specs, it didn't seem fast enough.

Bleh...get a real DVD player...I can't wait until the big games start coming out for GC, then I'll scoop one up...$150 right now, might even drop more...:D

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Re: Anyone not like apple?

Originally posted by Mac2006
We hear everyone say how much they love their mac. is their anyone out their that owns a mac and perfers a pc? if so why?

I am going to pretend you didn't say that :p

I think everybody has hated Apple at one time or another, but in a loving relationship, it's healthy. I hated Apple when my 10.2 upgrade became a nightmare in a land of no copy/paste...

Of course, I got over it, and did a clean install...

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
XBox

[Bows in shame...]

No need to bow your head, Xbox is an awesome game system!

P.S. Sony PS1 and PS2 blow....... PS3 will be no better

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: XBox

Originally posted by 3777
No need to bow your head, Xbox is an awesome game system!

P.S. Sony PS1 and PS2 blow....... PS3 will be no better

What's your basis for those statements?

PS1 is/was one of the most successful gaming systems ever, and PS2 follows in its footsteps. Sure, it's not as fast as Xbox...but it came out a while ago.

I'm not sure I see where Xbox is "awesome"...

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I own a PC laptop and desktop...but will be buying an Ibook or a TiBook soon. I'm a little pissed off that they won't be upgraded soon, but I'll buy it nonetheless. I don't see me switching completely to Apple right away, but I can't wait to own one.

ackpth

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2002
delaware, usa

[Bows in shame...]

and you call yourself an apple fan? everyone *knows* that mhz dont matter:rolleyes:

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Re: XBox

Originally posted by Rower_CPU

What's your basis for those statements?

PS1 is/was one of the most successful gaming systems ever, and PS2 follows in its footsteps. Sure, it's not as fast as Xbox...but it came out a while ago.

I'm not sure I see where Xbox is "awesome"...

The basis for my statement is I owned both a PS1 and a PS2........ they BLEW! The games were geared simply towards making a buck. Many of the PS1 games got worse in play and appearance with each edition, and Sony never asked their game developers to tap the full capability of their PS2 systems.....they only cared about making a buck......and some PS1 games looked like they were on an Atari 2600...... it was pathetic......Playstation sucks.

Re: Xbox.....I own one, it's the best gaming system I've ever had (not counting my Alienware PC) .......period. :cool:

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by ackpth

and you call yourself an apple fan? everyone *knows* that mhz dont matter:rolleyes:

Thats sooooo true. And the Gamecube is a 450MHz PowerPC (of the G3 family, in fact), so compared to a 733 MHz pentium, it stacks up pretty well. Even if the Gamecube isn't quite as fast as the XBox, it stilll kicks a lot of butt.

Mario Sunshine rocks!!!

Taft

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Oh, and to get get back on topic...

I've been quite pissed at Apple over a few things. I'm still pissed about their .Mac pricing policy. I ended up buying .Mac, but I still think its a bad decision for the company in the long run to not offer any sort of free e-mail service. Bad idea.

Taft

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: Re: XBox

The basis for my statement is I owned both a PS1 and a PS2........ they BLEW! The games were geared simply towards making a buck. Many of the PS1 games got worse in play and appearance with each edition, and Sony never asked their game developers to tap the full capability of their PS2 systems.....they only cared about making a buck......and some PS1 games looked like they were on an Atari 2600...... it was pathetic......Playstation sucks.

Re: Xbox.....I own one, it's the best gaming system I've ever had (not counting my Alienware PC) .......period. :cool:

Hmmm...making a buck and Microsoft...sound familiar?

I've been very happy with the PS2 games I've played: Ico, Silent Hill2, FFX, GT3, Jak and Daxter

Admittedly, I haven't even played an Xbox...and I don't really intend to. I'm going to get a GC once Zelda and/or Metroid come out.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I often wish we had more choices for hardware. apple hardware is nice, but competition drives performance and pricing. if there were other companies making computers that ran the mac os, we would have much faster systems, at a much lower price.

that's my only complaint about apple.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by e-coli
I often wish we had more choices for hardware. apple hardware is nice, but competition drives performance and pricing. if there were other companies making computers that ran the mac os, we would have much faster systems, at a much lower price.

They tried that. Failed miserably. The reason that Apple locks the OS with the hardware is to ensure that both seam flawlessly (well, almost). Besides, half of Apple is hardware, that's where they get most of their profits and the integration is part of why Mac users can brag over why Macs are better. You plug it in and it just works. No installation CD, no setup, it just works. (most of the time) If Moto was seroius about getting into making decent performing Gwhatevers, then there would be competition. :)

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Re: Re: Re: XBox

half of my ps1 games that i bought in the year leading up to the ps2 didn't eevn work, and there was nothing wrong with my system or the disc. tm4, for example. i didn't miss nuch though, it has a bad game.

there goes this thread!!!:D

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: XBox

Originally posted by crazy_will

there goes this thread!!!:D

Not quite yet. :)
My biggest pet peeve with Apple is that is purposely cripples its consumer (i) products. It was proven recently that the iBook has dual-display support (not mirroring) under some flavors of Linux and with a hack under OS9. Apple crippled that function because they think that it will blur the lines between it and the Powerbook, which it won't because the Powerbook has a bigger screen, DVI out, PC card slot and last but not least, a G4 processor. I suspect that the VGA-out port on the iMac is similar, though nobody's tried it yet. Dual monitors is great for a/v editing apps, plus the iMac is quiet so it'd be great in a studio. The VGA out on the iMacs is a joke, especially on the 17". Name me one VGA monitor that'll nativly support 1440x900. None? Okay maybe the Sony GDM-FW900, but why stop at 1440x900 when you can go up to 2340x1440?:D
There's already enough differentiation between the i and the Power series, Apple, no need to purposly cripple them.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: XBox

Originally posted by edvniow
Apple crippled that function because they think that it will blur the lines between it and the Powerbook, which it won't because the Powerbook has a bigger screen, DVI out, PC card slot and last but not least, a G4 processor. I suspect that the VGA-out port on the iMac is similar, though nobody's tried it yet.

It's not that Apple is purposely crippling the different machines, it's a function of Apple using a common architecture through a wide range of machines - chips, chips, chips.

The may use the same video and hardware chips across a wide range of products, but Apple may simply not do the work of writing a driver or connecting that I/O function to the outside world (UniNorth & Key Largo).

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by Sun Baked

It's not that Apple is purposely crippling the different machines, it's a function of Apple using a common architecture through a wide range of machines - chips, chips, chips.

The may use the same video and hardware chips across a wide range of products, but Apple may simply not do the work of writing a driver or connecting that I/O function to the outside world (UniNorth & Key Largo).

Still, it's not exactly a lot of effort on their part to write a simple driver to enable dual-display, but I'll bet they have more important things going on for them right now. I'll let this one go, this time. But if Apple does something like this after they get some serious Gwhatevers out, then I'll be just a little ticked then. :)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i think the best thing about xbox is halo. which sold me on it...

that said, i wish i had a ps2. the game options and from what i hear performance are better... i've yet to play any of the grand theft auto serious, and i'd love to... but alas, no chance of that... unless i make friends with someone who has a ps2. i don't have friends so that's tough

gc is cool, and will be great when metroid and zelda come out... good choice rower. (ie, the games)

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: XBox

Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Hmmm...making a buck and Microsoft...sound familiar?

I've been very happy with the PS2 games I've played: Ico, Silent Hill2, FFX, GT3, Jak and Daxter

Admittedly, I haven't even played an Xbox...and I don't really intend to. I'm going to get a GC once Zelda and/or Metroid come out.

Nothing wrong with game cube, I was going to get one just for that incredible looking Rouge Leader game, but I already had the Xbox and can only spend so much money!:D Wasn't going to get a system for 1 game, & needed the money to buy new computers for work anyway!

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
P.S.

And unlike Sony Nintendo had always put a lot of thought & effort into their games and product. Re: Microsoft, from some of the games they've produced I can say they put a lot more into it then sony....even if they are trying to make a buck. A couple of their games (NFL Fever for one) are incredible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.