Carrier Anyone not regret giving up their AT&T grandfathered UDP?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Jun 6, 2018.

1. iMas70 macrumors 65816

Long story short, an AT&T rep offered me a $20.00 UDP for my iPad last Summer. It worked for a few months then I found that the hotspot button kept disappearing every 2-3 weeks and my download speeds would go from 50-70+ Mbps down to 3. I had to keep calling in to have it "fixed". Today I was told the reason this keeps happening is because that plan isn't compatible with my iPhone's old UDP. So in the end I might end up moving my devices to a modern shared data plan. I haven't looked at them in while but if I remember right, one of the current plans offers 22GB and a 10G LTE personal hotspot for each device. I usually only use a total of 15-18GB total per month so I probably wouldn't notice a difference. Well... except for having to pay more for the same thing I had before.

So does anyone regret giving up their old plan?

2. chabig, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

chabig macrumors 603

Not me. I gave it up about four years ago for a shared data plan. Five of us share 40GB each month. We never come close to using it all and the unused rolls over. Split five ways, What we pay can’t be beat, and we get personal hotspots too.

3. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm looking on their site now. I'll probably go with the Unlimited Plus Enhanced -

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

This is a $15.00 discount for DTV which I have and I believe my FAN discount will apply so maybe the price won't go up by much.

4. chabig macrumors 603

I don't know that names. With my FAN discount, each of us pay $48 per month for what is practically speaking, unlimited data.

5. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

The FAN discount doesn't apply to AT&T's current unlimited offerings. When they initially reintroduced the unlimited plan in February of 2017, it was FAN-eligible and I immediately jumped on it. That plan didn't include hotspot data and a lot of customers complained about that, so they grandfathered that plan and replaced it with the two unlimited plans they have now, taking away FAN discounts in the process.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

My bill went down over 100 buck when I dumped us off the unlimited plan.

7. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I didn't mind at all, although when upgrading from the original iPhone to to an iPhone 4s, AT&T said that I couldn't keep the messages part(250 messages a month) of my plan, and said I could switch to a unlimited for an additional $20 or $25 a month, or pay per message.

That was why I gave up my unlimited data plan, and also AT&T, and went to Verizon.

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

No regrets. I forget what I was paying, but the difference is relatively small and I don't use the data I did before (plus it's just throttled at this point).

I get a lot more flexibility - e.g., added daughter to plan, which I'm sure would have been a hassle if even allowed.

I think there was a period where it called for careful calculus, but not any more.

9. iMas70, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well... it's gone! Good bye grandfathered UDP. We've been through a lot. I went with the Unlimited Plus Enhanced for $150.00 plus taxes. Took the auto bill/paperless billing discounts to get it down to that price. it will probably be about $170 with taxes. I was paying $128.00 with taxes and my FAN discount.

So I'll be paying an extra $42 to AT&T but will save $15 off of my DirecTV service so I'm up $27.00. I gain a personal hotspot on my phone. Something I've never had. Plus I'll no longer have to call them every 2-3 week to restore the hotspot on my iPad.

ATTPlans.png

10. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

I sold my old att unlimited iPad plan for over 1k.

So no, I don’t regret giving it up. T-Mobile gives way better speeds in nyc and honestly, almost everywhere else I have gone.

11. akzero macrumors newbie

I have five lines on the grandfathered plan... still haven't heard anything convincing enough to drop them.

12. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

13. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Gave ours up long ago, and never noticed
    We use all the data we want without thinking about it and never come close to the limits
    So, for all practical purposes, it is unlimited for us

WiFi at home and WiFi at work and most everywhere else there is free WiFi option for me
    Back in the day it was a big deal, but today not so much

14. millerj123 macrumors 65816

I gave up completely on At&T. Went to Verizon with 4 lines and I don't get billed per text anymore, and I saved money.