Anyone NOT setup phone as new or restore from backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maverick22, Oct 25, 2012.

1. maverick22 macrumors 6502

As I have said in another thread, when I bought my phone at Target off an upgrade swap, the Target rep had the machine that transferred my old contacts and pics to the new 5. When I go home, plug phone into PC, Itunes is forcing me to "setup phone as new" or "restore from backup".

My phone is just fine the way it is though.

Have any of you skipped this step--just NOT been backing up your phone? My sisters and mom (like myself not too tech savy) haven't done it and have had their phones about a year. Are we setting ourselves up for trouble?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you are.
    If anything happens all your data on your phone will be gone and you will have no way to recover it.
    You should backup every now and then if you care about your contacts, pics, emails, messages, app data and other info on your phone. If something happens you'd be left with nothing.
    So when you plug it to itunes just select setup as new and all your stuff thats on now will still remain on the phone.
    Then select backup and it will backup everything to your itunes library. Tell your other family members too in case something happens and they want to be able to have a failsafe.

3. frayne182 macrumors 6502

I started as new just for fun when I got my iPhone 5. Kind of like a new start. Didn't bother backing up Contacts other then family and close friends. If someone wants to chat I'll get a call/text and add them back into my contacts.

I take my photos off on a regular basis and its really the only thing I'd miss if my phone died.

I skip the backup process iTunes does all the time. IDGAF

4. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the answer I've been looking for: so I can set up the phone as "new," and it won't erase anything? All of the contacts, pics, will remain on my phone? I assumed if you set it up as new, it would erase all content.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    It wont touch or erase anything that's on the phone already.
    It just asks you if you want to leave it as is or restore from a backup that's on your computer that's all.
    It doesnt erase anything if you select setup as new.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I used my backup from iCloud while I was in the apple store for my iPhone 5. Simples.

7. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great to know! I was hesitant to try it last night. Really appreciate everyone's replies!