Anyone notice how Google directs searches for Apple/IPhone 5 to Samsung?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Masterkona, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Masterkona macrumors member

Whenever you search for Apple or IPhone 5 on google or on youtube, you are bombarded with Samsung Galaxy ads. Even on websites discussing Apple, where google ads exist. What gives? Are they allowed to conspire like this? I would imagine this in some way ties into the current anti-trust lawsuit?

Since Google has a monopoly on search and online advertising, and controls the vast majority of video streaming, this feels like anti-competitive actions. Any thoughts? Just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this.

2. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Samsung pays google to push ads to people looking at apple content. That's how targeted advertising works. It's not illegal. Apple can do the same thing through google if it wanted.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Anyone noticed how Apple are trying to push people away from using Google services on iOS?

4. Masterkona, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

Masterkona thread starter macrumors member

Apple doesn't have dominant control over any market. They control 6% of the handset market, and that is all. If 10% of the total handset market uses IOS, Apple video, Ibooks, etc, it doesn't come close to constituting a Monopoly. Furthermore, Apple doesn't direct traffic to Apple =)

Also, Apple uses legitimate advertising to win customers. Unlike Samsung, Apple doesn't win customers based primarily on advertising. Samsung uses Googles operating system. Google has a huge conflict in supporting its own profit, and pushing its own services. Since Google controls the majority of the flow of information through searches and is prioritizing its own services, it effectively has created a monopoly. Doesn't mean advertising is wrong. The problem comes from them owning the mechanism that lets people find services, prioritizing its own services to direct traffic to their services, and controlling the mechanism for sales from those purchases. Seems the FTC agrees with my logic. This hurts consumers, and is very anti-competitive.

http://wallstreetpit.com/97572-searching-for-a-real-antitrust-problem/

IOS is a better product. It doesn't require tactics like this to win customers. People buy IPhones as a conscious effort. Buying an Android phone is equal to saying "I don't care about these things, and will buy whatever the store tells me to". It's also equal to saying "I don't care if open means less secure". In short, Android device users, are low energy, low motivation, low engagement customers. Should come as no surprise that Apple is controlling 90% of web traffic on Tablets. Android tablet owners likely rarely use for anything data intensive. Not saying this is true for everyone, although I'd wager it is for the majority.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Based on all media reports, Google did that by refusing turn-by-turn support.

Specific GMail support is still available in Mail, and Google is still default search. Would have been easy firsts to axe.

But they took the hard route by axing Maps.

Conspiracy theory now?

6. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I do find it strange and do seriously wonder if google is manipulating search results. If it is ever proven that they are manipulating results for their own purposes, that would destroy their credibility. Already it's a murky line with them pushing nexus. Helping Samsung is their big focus these days but I think they'll regret it when Samsung stabs them in the back.

I've been amazed at the advertising that Samsung has done. NBC had nonstop very anti apple "news" segments during the iPhone 5 launch that were bracketed by tons of galaxy s3 ads. Coincidence? No way.

I wonder about the overwhelming negative tone, even on this site against apple and the iPhone. Android folks go way out of their way to infiltrate any positive thread. They may not realize it, but I suspect some Samsung campaign to goad the android community to defend android and attack iPhone. Wouldn't be surprised if they're paying a bank of people to actively post.

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories, but Samsung has been innovative in their attempts to manipulate public opinion. Folks could just call it business.

7. SporkLover macrumors 6502

X2. Anyone can achieve the same results. You buy key words or search terms.

----------

It was said earlier in this thread. It's targeted advertising, which is part of Google's business model. A company buys key words, and when those keywords are triggered in googles algorithm, it places targeted ads at the top bottom and right side of their results page. Google then charges that company per click they generate.

No conspiracy there. Samsungs google ad campaign is triggered by apple or iPhone searches, which may be exactly what Samsung wants.