Anyone notice that iBook is slow or choppy on the new iPad?

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I realized that switching between different "folders" in iBook is slower than my old iPad 2.

I also noticed that sometime it feels choppy, am I the only one?

tekchic

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I have probably 50-75 books loaded on there and I noticed that the first time I scrolled down, it was a tad choppy. It had to load a LOT of book cover art.

The second time I launched it and flipped through, it was much smoother - I'm thinking it might've just been the first time loading 50-75 book covers.

Folder switching also seemed slower until all the covers loaded and now it's a bit snappier.

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
It's slightly choppy but it still seems to perform better than the Kindle app and Zinio.

scriptlol

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
Yes, its slower than I would like but its not a big deal. The one thing that IS a big deal, though, is going from portrait to landscape while a book is open. That takes a full 6 seconds on my iPad. Thus, if I am reading, and accidentally tip the ipad too far to the side (I read in bed a lot so there is a lot of adjusting, and this happens), its 12 seconds before I am back in my preferred orientation.

haveaniceday91

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2011
new iPad owner, it's really, really slow on my device. I only have two books on my device and it's a good 10 seconds before the books appear on the bookshelf. I left a negative review and am hoping that it's fixed in the latest update.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Yes, its slower than I would like but its not a big deal. The one thing that IS a big deal, though, is going from portrait to landscape while a book is open. That takes a full 6 seconds on my iPad. Thus, if I am reading, and accidentally tip the ipad too far to the side (I read in bed a lot so there is a lot of adjusting, and this happens), its 12 seconds before I am back in my preferred orientation.
Wow, sound serious. I tested it, I don't have this problem. May be you want to talk to Apple about it.

----------

I haven't noticed this problem at all in iBooks.
Do you have an old iPad 2 to compare?

Changing between folders in the iPad 2 is fast, but in the new iPad is a little slow.

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
I have over 300 books loaded into my iPad and initially it did seem to be a little slow in finding and opening any book that I was looking for.

Today it seems to be back to normal and is much faster than the iPad 2 version of iBooks was.