anyone notice the iP4 screen gets "dirtier" and "smudgier" than the 3GS screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleg33k, Jul 11, 2010.

1. appleg33k macrumors member

exactly what the title says. with my old 3GS, when i used to slip it into my pocket and pull it out, the screen would usually just clean it self pretty well by rubbing up against my pocket. i can't say the same for the iP4. it always looks smudged all over the screen, even after pulling it out of my pocket. also, cleaning it with a micro fiber cloth takes more effort than it did with the 3GS. any others noticed this?

2. jwwpua macrumors member

no

3. falconeight Guest

falconeight

4. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

5. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have noticed mine is a dust magnet, every time I pull it out of my pocet there is dust all over it, and I know my pocket has fuzzies but man this screen just attracts dust.

6. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

No. It is less dirty than my 3GS, if anything.

7. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This is my first time with the oleophobic coating. When you rub your finger is it supposed to not have a smudge at all? Or is it supposed to disappear after awhile? I’m wondering what’s normal.

9. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Never heard that the iPhone 4 is using a coating on the screen like the 3GS did. Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not appear to have one.

10. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

I would say it's much much less. It's actually quite amazing. I do noticed that the back ends up being a little more "smudgier" than the front...but not a problem at all.

11. dwella1 macrumors member

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Mine stays clean. Do you think it has anything to do with the screen itself being darker/blacker than previous screens so it's easier to see dust on the glass?

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

My iP4 is exactly the same as 3GS, but then again the oleophobic coating was still intact on my year-old 3GS.

Neither is correct. Smudges/grease/fingerprints are supposed to wipe off easier. Wearing it naked in the pants pocket makes it pretty much self-cleaning, but if you use a bumper or case you'll definitely get smudges/fingerprints (although to a lesser extent) because the screen won't have much chance to come into contact with anything to wipe off whatever is on it.

It does have fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back.

14. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

That's what I was looking for. Couldn't find it. Thanks.

On that note, my phone seems to be much easier to keep clean, not that I care. Plus the screen isn't that crappy yellow my 3GS was. God that was horrible. :mad:

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Any chance you've worn down the oleophobic coating due to excessive use of the screen?

16. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

My iPhone 4 gets "dirtier" because I'm so OCD about keeping it spotless. On my 3G I really didn't mind a smudge or 2.

I must confess the iPhone has made me an obsessive hand washer. Softsoap is now my best friend. If only they had a soap that prevented your hands from producing moisture then we'd be in business. :)

17. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

18. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

19. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Either way it's still not a solution. I have to wipe many times per day.

20. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

I'm seeing a lot more smudging on my iPhone 4 then on my 3GS, even mroe so then on my 2G and that didn't even have a oleophobic coating! i am using it a little more but nowhere near enought to warrent this amoutn of smudging

21. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

22. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

No.

You are wrong.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Those of you saying "it's much better."

A phone or laptop with new battery is going to last a lot longer than an equivalent model with older battery. Likewise, please consider whether you're comparing a 3GS with worn oleophobic screen (especially if you use it extensively) with the new oleophobic coating on an iP4. It's not a valid comparison.

If it's a lot worse for you, perhaps the oleophobic coating wasn't applied correctly on yours. The oleophobic coating isn't immune to manufacturing defects so there's certainly bound to be a batch with such a defect and you should obtain a replacement if this is the case.