All iPads Anyone now confused on which iPad to buy..like me?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gix1k, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I have had every ipad upgrading one to the next. My last one was the iPad mini. I sold it because the retina display I had on my iPad 3/4 was really missed. I moved to the new Nexus 7. I vowed as son as Apple came with a retina mini I was going back. After todays release, I'm a bit torn on whether to get the Air or the mini. Mainly because after watching actual vids of the Air, it's as light as the OG mini and as thin. This means the fatigue aspect of using the IP4 for a long time would be gone. Also, the fact it's up $70. Next I want a new device next Friday...who knows when the mini will be released.

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Thought I saw that the mini was coming out late November? IMO, the iPad air is the one to get. I like bigger screens and that wins everytime. Not enough of a price difference between the mini and the air either to make the mini more intriguing.

iPad air is my vote.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Considering the price hike of the mini w retina, if I was in the market i'd do iPad Air.

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

Not really. I'm getting an iPad Air White/Silver 128GB cellular model.

5. AppleRobert macrumors 603

+1.

Plus I already have a Mini with cellular. I'll take the AIR and spend the extra $100.

6. bobright macrumors 601

a bigger screen for only $100 more? iPad Air FTW

I don't really see the market for the mini unless you're getting it for a young kid under 9 or the bigger iPad is out of your budget. I mean for somebody with small hands or for use in bed for IBooks maybe? or for cellular use--but now with a thinner, smaller, lighter iPad better off going the full size right?

7. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

It's not as light. The iPad Air is 469 grams, while the iPad Mini Retina is 331 grams. The original iPad Mini is 308 grams. The new iPad Air is still 30% heavier than the iPad Mini retina, and is quite a bit wider.

Also the iPad Air is 45% heavier than the first gen iPad mini.

Basically, the ultimate decision of which screen size you like better is amplified in this situation more than it ever has been before. Because there is little to no compromise in the iPad Mini now. It has, for all intensive purposes, the same specs. I for one will not consider the iPad Air, because it is too big for me. Not too cumbersome (like the iPad 4 - with it's bezels) but too large.

8. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Cellular iPad mini Retina

As I already have a Wi-Fi iPad "4", I would get a cellular data capable iPad mini with Retina Display; if I had to decide right now. I can't even think of the iPad Air, as it has a lower PPI than the mini Retina.

Also, as I don't yet have a cellular data capable iPad, and would like to make use of the integral GPS chip, this would round out my iOS portfolio.

9. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I flirted with the idea of the new iPad Mini until I saw a picture of it side by side with the iPad Air, and it reminded me why I bought my first iPad. The larger screen is just essential for me, the Mini's screen is too small for my taste. Air for me.

10. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Unfortunately Apple has flooded the market with their iPads. Big mistake.

11. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Thanks for this! I think the delay on the mini is my problem. If they both released at the same time I'm sure i'd get the mini. I just want rid of my Nexus 7 and an ipad again.....next friday..lol

12. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I think for extra $100 I rather get the bigger screen. Same logic goes with the 5c and 5s to me.

13. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Portability though. My Ip4 is not portable at all. I carried my mini all over.

14. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

yea but u cant compare an ipad 4 to a mini! I got the mini last year cuz the damn ipad 4 was just an ipad 3 heavy. For this ipad air is pretty light to carry around. I saw the verge hands-on and ipad air is as light as the mini.

15. Epiphron macrumors regular

Yea the lightness and the size reduction is pretty impressive. Reminds me of going from macbook pro to macbook air :p

16. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I referenced the iPad 4 due to the screen size, not the weight. There's no place to store a 9.7" screen unless you have something intended for that. This will be the same with the Air, regardless of the weight loss. My mini went in back jean pocket or coat pocket.

17. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Definitely going with the iPad Air. I had bought the iPad 4 when it was first released but I returned it a couple of weeks later because it was just too heavy and it was uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time. I'm getting the 16GB this time though instead of the 32GB. I have a 5s 32GB that has everything I want on it already so the iPad is just going to be used as a portable web browser and gaming machine. 16GB should be enough right?... right? :(

18. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

16 works if you use clouds to store movies, music and things. Store only things you definitely want on demand. IMO, 16gb needs to be obsolete across the board. Flash memory is too cheap nowadays.

19. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I don't store much in the cloud. I still have 3GB remaining of the free 5GB Apple gives us. I don't have movies on my computer or on my phone so I wouldn't have them on my iPad. I wouldn't put music in it either as my 32GB 5s has it all already. It would mainly be apps and games. Crap... maybe I shouldn't even get an iPad tbh..

20. JGWolven macrumors regular

I was absolutely convinced that I was going to get an iPad mini simply because of the weight of the device. With the Air trimmed down, I'm completely sold on it. Is more screen real estate really an issue with a slightly heavier product a real issue?

21. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Lol did you not see my post above? Look on Apple's website. The iPad Air is still significantly heavier than the iPad Mini

22. Epiphron macrumors regular

I think going from 1.44 -> 1.0 is much better than 1.0 -> 0.73
    It's a .44 savings vs just .27 for us ipad 3/4 owners who still want the bigger screen

23. Macalway macrumors 68000

I think this new Air is incredibly smoking

I need one badly

So, no confusion here :D

24. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

what! no waiting till next year :D
    It'll be 1.0 > 0.73 for the Air and 0.73 - 0.50 for the Mini!!

25. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Im going to go with the mini, since I want 32gb the price goes up a bit if I choose the air and I think I like the size and portability the mini gives me.