Anyone on 4S waiting for 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steveo13, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Steveo13 macrumors regular

Steveo13

I have the 4S and with reports already coming in about the iPhone 6 with a larger display, is anyone else on the 4S waiting for the 6? I was planning on getting a 5S but I cant even find a store that has one anyway.

The only problem I see is that today I finally upgraded my 4S to iOS 7 and I got 2 hours of usage and 3 hours of stand-by. That is absolutely horrible.

2. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Yep I'll be waiting for the 6, but iOS 7 hasn't affected my battery life, try a fresh install.

3. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Yes I'm waiting. Not so much for the screen, although 4.7" will be an added bonus.

As we didn't get the rumoured 128GB storage top end, that's what's made me wait.

It's also pleasing that they seem to have improved the anodization. It's not perfect, but it seems to be an improvement.

Unfortunately, as a result of the wait, this'll be the first time that selling my old phone won't easily cover the downpayment on the new one.

4. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

if the 6 has a 4.7" screen as reported, then that is really worth the wait.

5. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

If that's true, it made getting the 5S even more critical for me.. I'm not thrilled about the larger size of the 5S (coming from a 4S)

I damn sure don't want a bigger brick in my pocket.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm waiting for the 6 and in no way am I upgrading my 4S to iOS7.

7. iphone01ninja macrumors newbie

Well, it depends on the other aspects of 6, although 4.7' screen is a huge welcome. I bought an iPhone 4S a year go and it is in good condition, there is no need to replace it in next few months.

8. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

You need to do a couple of things...
    1. Replace your battery (About $15 from Amazon.com with toolkit)
    2. Turn off the background app refresh
    3. Turn off bluetooth

I had 2 iPhone 4s phones that lasted 10-12 hours with normal usage and battery left to spare...both running iOS 7.0.2

9. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I know a few ppl that are but that's really stupid IMO.

4S is okay but it's
    - HEAVY
    - LACKS LTE
    - Not 4" display

It's easy to say well I'll upgrade next year, or the year after, or after that, but in the meantime you are missing out on all the features.

10. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I thought about waiting, then I realized getting the 5s won't cost me anything. I can sell my pristine 4s to Amazon for around $200 and buy the 5s for $200.

If I wait another year for the 6, my 4s will be worth less than $100 on Amazon trade in and the 6 will still be $200.

So I am waiting for my 5s to ship and then will hold on to it until the 6s comes out. :D

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

I agree with these points.

Plus if you're on any of the top 3 US carriers and eligible for upgrade but not using it, you are wasting a subsidy.

12. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I do agree. I personally have never understood why someone holds out on there upgrade. The longer they do the more they actually pay for that phone with all the subsidies and stuff. However, I do realize it's there choice not ours, but I will say the 5S and 5C are great devices.

13. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

The 4S might just be the longest lasting iPhone yet as far as acceptable performance goes. One of my friends has a 4S and it runs iOS 7 very well. The iPhone 4, on the other hand, began to really show its age even with iOS 4.3. Anyone remember the stuttering animations when opening and closing apps?

14. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I agree.... but no LTE blows so much. + the heavy weight and the smaller screen... performance is still good but it's not really worth using anymore.

15. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Fix typos. Silly phone.

I'm planning on waiting for the iPhone 6 myself. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S III, but I just bought an iPhone 4S off Swappa yesterday to try an iPhone out. I'm a huge android nut, and it's not the platform making me switch, rather the S3's horrible reception causing dropped calls, ones that go straight to VM, and missed SMS messages.

My old phone, the HTC Incredible, is still my favorite phone of all time. It's just very outdated. It never had any issues with reception where I'm at. I can get - 86 to - 90 dbm in my room where my S3 is - 105 to nothing. Hopefully the iPhone 4S has better reception. If not I'll just re sell it and keep my S3 another year.

And to the size, I've had my S3 since July of last year, and I've since become accustomed to the 4.8" display. At first it was just too big. But now I really like it. So that is one thing I'll be giving up. That and the super fast LTE. But only for a while. Simply trading speed for stability. Worth it to me, no more silly spec battles.

16. N e e k macrumors 6502

I had a 4S and bought the 5S for $70. I thought of waiting for the 6 too, but why? LTE is awesome, everything about the upgrade is awesome in my opinion. Next year, the 4S will be worth nothing so you'll have to pay more pocket $ for the 6. Just upgrade now.

17. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Good point, I kind of forgot about the lack of LTE. Shows how much I take it for granted!

18. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I hope they end up offering phones in the larger size many people want, and the current size for people that don't want / need a larger screen. I too like the size of my phone, I don't subscribe to "bigger is better" ideology.

If Apple can swing making a large, and small sized phone, both using current technologies on both the screen, as well as the internals, I believe they would have a happy little ecosystem. :)

The 4 (with a fresh load) isn't really bad at all, It is actually more responsive in some portions of iOS7, than it was in iOS 6 (music player and mail is a great improvement in my experience). Yes it has some iOS7 features disabled, but I feel it is handling it's age much better than phones of the same era from an other popular platform.

That said, I tend to run my gear a bit longer than the average gadget person.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

As much as I'd love to, I'm on a 4S with a 3.5-inch screen and Verizon 3G. I was almost entertaining thoughts of getting a 5C because I can use my mom's upgrade in January 2015, but then I thought "don't rush it, fool!" So I ordered my 5S today when I learned that I can port my number when I get it since my Verizon contract ends on 10/18. LTE will be so nice.

20. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I used the 4s for a day before I got my 5s.

Performance was overall good and honestly I could live with the smaller screen. The heavier weight was really annoying but the deal breaker was LTE. Browsing the web and especially trying to stream videos off youtube was soo slow.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My Verizon 3G at my house is maybe 0.5 Mbps. AT&T LTE is about 25 Mbps. I don't use LTE at my house much, but holy damn it's a huge deal traveling to work. It's not much faster around work (3G), so that's just a massive improvement. I'd probably be going nuts if we didn't have WiFi at work.

22. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

That's exactly why I normally make the move - it's a no brainer.

Unfortunately I'm maxed out at 64GB though so, for me, there's no point tying myself up to another 2yr / 18 month contract now.

It's frustrating they didn't release a 128GB 5S as I'd have one by now, so 6 it is.

23. lo100469 macrumors member

I'm keeping the 4s, i just replaced the battery, and with the right settings it lasts a full day without any issue.
    IOS 7 runs smoothly, and as a light user (mainly calls, texts, emails and news, no game, no heavy browsing) it meets my need. I like the small size and the weight does not bother me. 4G is not essential for news and emails.

24. Lightey macrumors regular

I wish I kept my 4S. My friend has one and I like it more than the 5. You're just a nerd that likes to waste money.

25. Poly macrumors 6502

Well my 4S had horrible battery life on ios7 so i've uograded to the 5S.
    Additionally i prefer being on the S cycle.