Anyone on iOS 6 going back to 5, or are you sticking with it?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by WeegieMac, Jul 18, 2012.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Yes, I know it's for 'developers only', so if anyone wants to post that kind of pedantic stuff, then you know where the door is.

Since iOS 6 updates OTA, it's easier than with past betas in that we don't need to restore to the latest version. Is anyone on iOS 6 sticking with it and going from OTA to OTA all the way to the final build/GM, or will you try it out for a bit before heading back to 5.1.1 and waiting it out for the final, official release?

2. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I always install the new beta's to see how the changes affect various API's and such but then I go back. I can't afford to keep dev devices around and it's still a bit buggy to have on my every day phone.

3. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

4. njaremka macrumors 6502

Beta 1 made me go back to iOS 5. WAY to buggy for daily use. Beta 2 and Beta 3 have been much more stable and usable.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm assuming that running iOS6 beta is like having an android phone? :D

Oh no he didn't!

Just joking. It runs perfectly for me and very rarely get any bugs.

6. mms13 macrumors 6502

I'm not going back. Beta 3 is actually very stable. Despite a few minor bugs here and there, it's been great for me for everyday use.

7. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502

No issues here. Been using beta 2 and 3 on my primary iPhone and iPad with no major issues.

8. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

I install the iOS 6 Beta 2 first and cause I went to London for some weeks I put iOS 5 bk on my iPad so I am fully sure there won't will be an mayor issue.
    :) Now as soon as I came bk to my Mac at home I put Beta 2 on it and via OTA Beta 3 ( I wanted to see the gear :p )

9. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

I never install the betas on my primary phone. But on my iPad and old phone I have seen no significant issues.

The only real reason to NOT install the beta would be if you use/rely on Maps heavily.

10. minik macrumors 65816

I have a spared AT&T iPhone 4.

Installed iOS 6 beta 1, went back to 5.1.1 within a day.
    Installed iOS 6 beta 2, went back to 5.1.1 just a day before beta 3 releases.

Now, I'm on 5.1.1 and don't feel like touching it.

11. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

I would go back but generally any bugs that are really annoying I can put up with. iOS 5 had some bad ones, but still nothing that necessitated me going back to 4. iOS 3, 4, and 6 so far have been pretty usable off the bat.

12. FireFish macrumors member

FireFish

iOS 6 BETA 3 DOWNGRADING to 5.1.1

I've been running iOS 6 BETA 3 on my iPhone 4S and iPad 3.

Even BETA 3 is very buggy; I have a handful of apps today alone that crash upon loading due to the fact that I'm running iOS 6 BETA platform.

Now that I discovered that HBO GO and Showtime apps are crashing upon attempting to play a video, on both my iPhone 4S & iPad, I feel it's the straw that broke the camel's back and am attempting a downgrade.

13. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I installed iOS 6 beta 1 on release. I was on it for about a week and decided to downgrade. Just yesterday I decided to take a stab at beta 3. Must say, I am happy SOME bugs have been sorted out. I will probably stick it out until the GM. I am a little unhappy that the radio feature on Spotify doesn't work, but that's about my biggest app complaint atm.

14. aleni macrumors 68020

iOS 6 beta 1, went back to 5.
    buggy, battery life is horrible.

iOS 6 beta 2, went back to 5.
    faster, battery life better, but some apps don't work.

iOS 6 beta 3, stable enough, will stay at this.
    safari much faster, battery life a bit short, but not as bad as beta 1, apps that don't run on beta 2 now run very well on beta 3, but some apps still crashes, not important apps though.

15. fortheus macrumors regular

Consider it buggy when the standard apps are fail/crash. If it's 3rd party, most likely they use deprecated API. It's not fair to judge it buggy if the problem is with 3rd party apps

16. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

I'll probably wait until there is a Google maps app for download for my phone.

17. Dima470 macrumors regular

Dima470

I installed my backup on IOS 6... So no turning back! But so far minimal problems.:) I'm a happy camper.

18. FireFish macrumors member

FireFish

Just wanted to share:
    I ended up rolling back from iOS 6 BETA 3 to 5.1.1 on both my iPad and iPhone 4S. If you need to do the same, make sure to use a Windows machine when restoring. I noticed my Mac was giving me iTunes errors as if it was blocking the downgrade. No problems on Windows, just put your device in DFU first. Be advised: You cannot restore a backup from iOS 6 onto iOS 5.1.1. This means you'll just need to re-setup your sync preferences & any app data you may have had may be reset (not a problem in my case). The only real annoying part of it that I hate is re-grouping my icons. So tedious and time consuming :eek:

19. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

Onward and upward.
    I like to go all the way through each beta without going back!

20. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I go back and forth.. right now I'm back on 5.1.1 but that could change tomorrow ;)

21. GenesisST, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Just installed Beta 3 on my iPad and it is pretty solid. My iPad is mainly leisure, but use it for dev. And luckily, it seems that Xcode 4.3.3 can still use it for development. (I'm absent-minded sometimes, so I might have been on 4.5-DP3 without knowing...).

The only annoyance I have is that Monopoly HD stopped working... But I played to much anyways...

So iOS6 all the way for me.

EDIT: Yes, was absent minded again. Still, 6.0b3 is solid for me so far.

22. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I've had no problems restoring my iOS 6 device back to down to 5.1.1 on my mac. Went straight through. No hiccups.

23. Snapperjw macrumors regular

Never

You can never go back. Being an early adopter applies to both hardware and software....

Always at the head of the queue when it comes to tech, you've got to ride the defect wave!!!!!

24. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I actually an error with my old WINDOWS machine, right before I got my Mac.

Irony is a funny thing.

25. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502

Been using beta 3 on my iPad and iPhone 4S while on vacation for the last week. iPad as primary computer. Still able to check work emails and do everything I need to do with no issues. Using a stand-alone Garmin GPS while driving, and my iPhone 4S as backup. So far, the 4s is on par with or better than the Garmin. Giving pretty much the same routes and the iPhone is usually a little faster on the turns. Maps app is FAR better than Google Maps has been IMO.