Anyone on the fence between 5S and 5C?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PDFierro, Sep 5, 2013.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I am. I know there are some on here who have stated they might actually prefer the design of the 5C, regardless of weaker specs.

I'm keeping an open mind and will wait until the event to decide.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Undecided if I'll be upgrading from my 5 but it will be the 5S, no question.

3. emptysoul macrumors regular

It all comes down to price and features really. If Apple decide to completely gimp the 5C by removing LTE or making it just 8GB then I don't think any price would drive me to buy it.

4. Spacial macrumors 6502

I have learned enough, even if a number of rumors are wrong, to know that nothing about the upcoming iPhone interests me. In addition by waiting for iPhone 6 Apple will have had time to de-bug the OS after its been used in real world conditions. Finally, recent rumors hint at a larger and more useful modern display, a feature Apples avoided for years. It's a great time to pass and wait for next year.

5. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

I agree, and that's why I am waiting until all is revealed. If I feel that the 5C is the better option for me, then I'll get that. And vice versa.

6. LithePanther macrumors 6502

5S. I refuse to use a plastic phone myself. And the champagne looks pretty cool.

7. emptysoul macrumors regular

I don't see what people have against plastic phones. Were people so snobbish about it when the 3GS was all the rage?

As I've said before in another post, plastic on a phone does not mean low build quality. My Lumia 920 for example is plastic yet it's built like a tank and the fit and finish is up there with the iPhone 5 imo (it's just a shame it runs a useless OS).

8. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

The rumors are out there...but still, a bit too early don't you think? They are not even announced yet...

9. zedzded macrumors regular

Glass and metal are more aesthetically pleasing and give the impression of quality, plastic does not do that. Something made of plastic may be a better product than something made of aluminum, but people want something that also looks good. Plastic is generally regarded as a poor quality product hence the reason people opt for leather jackets or leather shoes.

10. emptysoul macrumors regular

Perceptions are very different from reality in this case.

11. zedzded macrumors regular

But we're not just talking strength or durability, we're talking aesthetics. As superficial as that may sound, we all want products that are aesthetically pleasing. If that weren't the case we'd all be driving Ladas. Plastic is not as aesthetically pleasing as metal or glass.

12. emptysoul macrumors regular

That's a matter of taste not a statement of fact. I think the Lumia 920 is a nicer looking phone than the iPhone 5.

13. zedzded macrumors regular

Well yes and no. I think it's a better looking phone, but would look even better if it had an aluminum casing like the HTC One.

14. nilzi macrumors regular

I believe iPhone 5S is super better than iPhone 5C.

15. cynics macrumors G3

After all the rumors it's tough to say anymore.

For all we currently know the 5C could be a cheap world phone like the N4. If that's the case it will likely be GSM only and not available on my network (Verizon).

It could be made to use China mobiles TD LTE making it exclusive to the Chinese market. Once again not available to me.

It could have a super sophisticated radio that works on most networks but comes at a price and only 100 dollars cheaper then the 5S. And in that case I'm probably not gonna be that interested in it.

Lets see, the 5S could be significantly better and I won't be able to resist not getting it.

However if the only difference is a plastic back and a couple minor things it would be my phone of choice. I put plastic cases on my devices anyway. I really don't see this being the case because I think that would cannibalize the 5S much to easily.

16. zedzded macrumors regular

Yeah it's strange that the price is so close to the 5. If they wanted to target emerging markets, you would have thought they would have gone total budget, selling the 5C for $199. Will the 5 still be for sale when the 5C & 5S are released?

17. Luuthian macrumors member

Maybe the goal isn't emerging markets? Or maybe they're doing this now so that in a year they can sell the 5C for far cheaper than it will sell for today. Too hard to say what the plan is, but it seems much more geared towards swaying North American consumers who buy mid-range sets.

18. 22mac macrumors member

Yeah I'm the same as you, after all the thing you look at all the time ie the screen is going to be the same on both.

Depends how much cheaper it is.

19. emptysoul macrumors regular

We have no idea what the price is going to be :confused:

20. zedzded, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

zedzded macrumors regular

There are industry experts who speculate on forthcoming Iphone models, their specifications and their price and generally their predictions are fairly accurate. The price can't be too low as it will undercut the 5 & even the 5s.

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

In the same boat.

For me to upgrade, I'd only want to pay max £150 out of pocket so it would all depend if I could sell my 5 for the right amount. Not really too bothered about it though, I can wait for the 6 pretty easily.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm on the iPhone 5, I see little reason to buy the 5S or the 5C unsubsidized. While I can get a decent amount when selling my phone now. The rumored updates aren't enough for me to upgrade.

23. josen macrumors member

I don't know if I should buy the 5C to be cute and trendy or the 5S to be veraciously flaunty.

24. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Not this year as I'm not upgrading but will certainly be next year. So I'm very intrigued to see how the 5C turns out to give me an indication of how much money I need to put away for next year. If it's a 5 in plastic then next year I'll be perfectly happy with a 5S in plastic.

25. eecyclone macrumors regular

eecyclone

I'm on the 5 as well, but I upgraded unsubsidized from the 4S. That means I have a subsidized potential upgrade available. However, I also doubt I will get the 5S based on the rumors I've seen.

SURPRISE ME APPLE.