Anyone on the fence on SS Link or Black SS Link?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Southernboyj, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Anyone else on the fence between the normal SS Link or Black SS Link?

I really like the way the Black SS Link looks, and don't mind paying extra for it. My only concern is that then I'm limited on bands to basically Black SS Link and Black Sports Band for jogging.

No leather bands, no Milanese Loop, etc. Since they all have normal SS connectors.

2. NTurner42 macrumors regular

NTurner42

I've had the same problem, would really like to see a future leather band option from Apple with the DLC connectors, and I would LOVE for a Space Black version of the Milanese Loop!

3. DreamPod, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015

DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Does it really make that big a difference to you, that the clasp that'll be on the bottom of your wrist doesn't match the metal of the case on top of your wrist? Most of the time the clasp won't even be visible, unless you high-five people all the time with your watch hand. Heck, looking at the leather loops, their clasp is the same color as the band, but just lined on the inside with metal. So even harder to see the metal color in real life.

Personally, I'm getting the Space Black SS, and am considering later getting a black leather loop to switch out now and then.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can use the leather loops as these have no metal connectors to clash with the Space Black.

5. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

I'm pretty much set on black but I really like the look of the SS link as well so if it really blows me away in person I could see myself switching. I personally wouldn't let the bands swing me from getting the one I like better. It is a really personal purchase and one you are going to see a lot more so I'm going to go for the one I flat out like the best and worry about that other stuff later. Apple is likely going to come out with more bands, I'm sure there will be 3rd party that are great as well as adapters. so I'm pretty confident that stuff will work itself out. My plan is to go with space black link, sport band with the grey stainless pin to start with and that should cover most needs. I may also go with black leather loop, but I want to wait a bit on that and see if Apple does a black Milanese in the fall. I'd actually be kind of surprised if they didn't.

6. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

You realize the 2 metal parts of the band that connect to the watch will be normal Steel also, right?

If I'm gonna buy an extra band for $200+ I don't want it being the wrong color in 3 places.

7. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Same problem here. The Space Black looks a little too dark on Apple's website, but it looks better in real pictures as opposed to renderings. It'll probably look better in person. And also, I'm getting a sports band to go with it and the black one will look better with the space black.

8. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I am torn between the two. The Black SS looks too dark but will have a look and decide on the 10th.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not on the Leather Loop, which has no metal connectors.

10. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Not on fence. Shiny for me. If I wanted the black I would have just gotten the Black Sport.

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Probably why I am going with SS link, but will see in person first.

12. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

13. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I'm on the fence between leather loop and link bracelet. If I tip towards link bracelet, then I'll probably be on the fence about which color, especially without seeing it in person yet. The product shots make it so hard to tell just how black the space black really is. The only DLC coating watches I've seen look like dark gray, graphite, pencil type color and I wouldn't like that.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Not that I'm in the market, but chipping of the black finish would concern me. Especially on the edges.

I've worn a brushed stainless steel link bracelet daily for almost 3 decades. Very durable material. It's been refinished several times and looks great. But how would you refinish a black coated bracelet? Would it have to go back to the factory? Or is it considered disposable after 5-10 years?

I know the trick with a black chipped/scratched iPhone 5s was to use a black sharpie occasionally. But sharpie would just rub off on your wrist in 30 mins.

15. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Apparently the DLC coating is the same one used on several of my knives. The coating is pretty tough, I've cut through wood, plastic and a few other things and the wear to the DLC coating is minimal. On the other hand, the DLC coating doesn't feel like normal metal. It feels kind of ceramic and kind of rubber. It's tough to describe what the feel of it is like because there is some drag when I rub my finger on the DLC and yet it's still pretty slick like ceramic. I would go for the polished 316L over the DLC for this factor alone. The polished 316L will still have a decent amount of daily wear just because I wear a 316L link bracelet right now and I beat it to hell on a daily basis. The 316L case will also match more bands.

16. metrowarrior79 macrumors newbie

I keep going back and forth on this as well. I think I have finally settled on the regular SS because of the wider variety of bands to match. I was also worried about possible scratches on the black SS showing more easily. I plan on using the sport band with mine as well (mainly using the link bracelet for formal occasions) and to me I really don't think any of the colored sport bands look as good on the black SS as they do on the regular SS. Also I'm thinking of adding a classic buckle band which wouldn't work with the black stainless steel since the attachment piece for the band is regular stainless steel.

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Originally I wanted the SS with link bracelet. I had second thoughts about it after seeing the $1000 price tag. I'm starting to reconsider again since it's the one I like most and the one that I think works best with the way I tend to dress.

18. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Prefer the Space Black but I'm also concerned with the inevitable, eventual nick/scratch it'll get. Would upset me due to the cost. Maybe a few hundred quid cheaper and I'd have risked it.

So, SS link for me.

Just saw an advert on tv during the Malaysian Grand Prix for the Apple Watch, got me and my wife (she's getting 38 SS Modern Buckle in blue) VERY excited.

How many sleeps? Lol

19. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I think it'll be like with the Mac pro, it looks black on apples website, but in reality it's really really bright and shiny actually. They might even use the exact same material. I really want the black SS link too... Good thing is I'm graduating from university on the 24th after 7 years, so I kinda can say it's a gift to myself ;D

20. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I will look at the SS Black but I will probably go for the SS silver. The black is almost 100 quid more

21. Sharkey311 Suspended

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

A $100 difference is meaningless if you're already spending $1000.

23. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I keep seeing DLC connector is this the new watch band connector?

24. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

I love the way the black looks, however, I'm really hard on watches, stainless is really my only choice.

25. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

DLC = Diamond-Like Coating which is the coating bonded to the stainless steel in the space black watch casing and link band.

If you were to get, say, the classic buckle band and put it on the space black case, it will look stupid because the metal part that slides into the case is not space black, and neither is the buckle, though the buckle is a bit less of an issue.