Anyone order the new SGP Neo Hybrid 2 EX Series?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by map1978, Jul 5, 2011.

1. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

http://www.sgpstore.com/cell-phone/...sgp-iphone-4-case-neo-hybrid-2-ex-series.html

If so, let me know when you receive the case and let us know if its really more durable than the original. $32 a little steep for this, but I'm a fan of bumper cases. The front and back SP are a nice touch as always from them, and justifies the price a little :D

Looking to grab a white. If you get the case, please post pics

Thanks in advance

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Yeah I'm waiting on this one too, currently a fan of their Reventon Yellow, so hopefully I'd get to see it soon on one of their choices. Like the OP said, if anyone has the case already, pics would be highly appreciated; especially about the added durability that they said on the description for their frames.

3. kicko macrumors 65816

you would think that if they went through the trouble of redesigning the case they would have accommodated for the Verizon version too. WTF?

4. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i would love to get this case again, but the dock and headphones were a pain / con for me :(

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Is there any substantial difference between these and the gen 1 versions? I kinda miss my Dante Red one but for $32, not missing it that much.

6. kicko macrumors 65816

its just slightly thicker

7. demoleculizer macrumors newbie

Slightly thicker? I honestly think the original is already too thick for comfort, especially I have to take the case out when using with certain dock accessories and headphones.

It's something I don't mind putting up with as long as my phone is protected. What I'm more interested is if it really is more durable. I've cracked my Dante Red twice.

8. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I don't know if anyone cares now, but, I just received mine in white after reading horror stories about Apple's bumper not being a snug fit and scratching the antenna band (not to mention the white bumper discoloring on the rubber parts. I definitely want the white to go along with my white iPhone).

Once on, the SGP is a great fit and, overall, it looks okay from the sides, however looking from the front and back leaves much to be desired. I prefer Apple's matte gray "rubber" border to SGP's white shiny rubber/ silicone one. It just looks and feels cheap. Shiny white rubber is pretty tacky- not sure what they were thinking. They went halfway with the gray buttons, so why not complete it with a matte gray border?

I have less of a problem with SGP's white polycarbonate band, overall, but even then, there is a difference in appearance. It looks more "watery" than Apple's polycarbonate and feels more slippery, plasticy, and cheaper. I also wish that the gray buttons were a lighter gray more reminiscent of "Apple gray".

Overall, I would score its appearance a 6 and build quality a 9- which is a shame because I was really hoping I could get over the "it's not the Apple bumper" factor, but for something I stare at hours per day, I have decided to purchase an Apple bumper from Ebay and see which I like best.

Unfortunately, the Apple bumper I bought on Ebay is the 1st type (pre-Verizon) and users seem to have more trouble with it being loose and scratching than the revised version currently sold by Apple. It was only $22 versus Apple's $35 on its website for the revised bumper, so I am giving it a go. It should arrive this weekend or Monday and I can update here if people show interest.

I'm thinking of lining the inside of the bumper, or the iPhone's antenna band itself, with strips of electrical tape to provide a tighter fit and avoid scratching. I may also use a hairdryer on the bumper as I have read here that it helps give a tighter fit. Some people even mentioned BOILING the bumper. Yeah... not going that far! If it's still loose after the tape I will live with the SGP because it's not a bad bumper- just not visually appealing to me.

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi and thank you for your review of the sgp bumper. I was going to purchase the black version and am kinda put off now from your review..lol.

I'm not sure if the look of yours would show up as much on the black version ?

The apple bumper is way overpriced in the Uk at £25.00 sterling.

Ive seen the utube videos of people boiling the apple bumper for 2 minutes and read about people leaving them on their cars dashboard or using a hairdryer.

After paying such an inflated price I'm not happy either at having to cook my bumper so it fits properly !

Currently I'm using a Rocket Fish Frame Bumper which fits tightly and has caused no scratches on the antenna band of my iphone 4.

The only gripe is that the buttons are hard rubber and not the stylish silver looking ones, but its not a deal breaker for me. Its frame is a smoke black that allows the steel antenna to show thro which is nice too.

Ref SGP.... I'm currently using their skin shield, carbon black which is awesome. Adds texture to the back and protects it from scratches.

Regarding putting something on the steel antenna band you may want to look at the lucky labs antenna strips which are reported by users to be a good product. Video's on utube. They leave no residue at all. Using electrical tape will and be sure not to bridge the antenna band on the left too !

I'm interested in your review of the apple bumper so please re post.

10. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I ordered one on monday and it should be delivered tomorrow. I ordered the case in gunmetal color.. I will post pic's when it arrives.. :)

James

11. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Ok guys my case just got here today..

This really isn't much of a case it's more of a rubber bumper with a plastic bumper over the rubber.. Still nice though.. Better than nothing.. Here are some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the fuzzyiness of the first picture but it was taken on my old iphone 3g. The others where taken on my iphone 4...

It fits nicely and gives you more of a solid hold on the phone.. I like it but I'm sure in time I will try to find something better.. As for the ultra clear screen protectors they went on very easy without any trouble at all... And the screen looks great.. Just like if you didn't have anything on it at all...

James

12. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Thanks for the pictures James! I'm still deciding whether to get gunmetal or champagne gold for the color but so far everyone does say that it's sturdier than before.

13. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

No problem. I've never seen the other one but by the earphone jack and the slot for where you plug it in to charge the phone, it is thicker there it looks like. Either gun metal or the champene color would look nice.

James

14. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Still trying to justify whether to spend money on an iPhone 4 case especially that rumors about the iPhone 5 is almost everywhere, decisions decisions lol.

15. Faded1984 macrumors member

I remember on the original one I had that the area around the volume buttons would be raised slightly meaning that if you pressed between the buttons it would effectively make the buttons function when they shouldn't as that area should be flat.
    Is this still a problem?

16. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

On my case as of now the side where the volume buttons are is raised ever so slightly.. I've pushed on that area and it doesn't cause use of the buttons.

So far so good.. The only downside to the ultra crystal clear protector screens is that they are a HUGE finger print and smudge magnet... First time you touch the screen after cleaning it, it's all smudged up again.. But you can only notice that if you look at certain angle's.. Even with the finger prints and such when you look at the screen you can't even tell anything is there..

James

17. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I was gong to buy one of these until I read about the thin sections that are at the bottom if it that surrounds the 30 pin dock connector.

Although if you intend to leave it on mist of the time then this may not be an issue.

I recently purchased a SGP carbon black rear shield which is awesome and thus my confidence in SGP products is high.

I've opted for a case mate jett to see how it fairs.

18. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

19. AnthroMatt, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

I just received the yellow/black version. It's nice and I will continue to use it. The front screen protector renders the white iPhone's proximity sensor useless, so the fact that it comes with a screen protector is a bonus only if you have the black iPhone or if you cut an opening for proximity sensor if you have the white model.

It's not my phone, but I did find a picture that essentially shows you what it looks like (I think the picture shows the original and I have the II, but you get the idea). :)

Attached Files:

20. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

really? why?

21. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The same reason why you have the specs of a camera in your signature.

It interests him and others on this site.

If you don't have anything constructive to say then why bother replying.

Be nice !

Rolls eyes.

22. akj27 macrumors member

I don't understand why you think his question is not legitimate.

23. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Wow. Woooow.

*smh*

I should screenshot this and make a meme out of it.

To answer the question, I think it has something to do with the paint, that's what the hold up for the original white iphone was about.

24. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It looks great, but what about the BACK????

IT doesn't cover the BACK?

FAIL!!!!

25. wellok macrumors 6502

It comes with a protector for the back, just like the front. It's for people who want minimal coverage, obviously.