Anyone ordering an unlocked iphone 5s from apple should consider virgin mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nhood01, Oct 3, 2013.

1. nhood01 macrumors member

2. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

3. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Virgin mobile phones do not come unlocked and they will not unlock the phones for you. Not really a good deal> if i'm not paying subsidized pricing, my phone better be unlocked.

4. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

does this phone come unlocked to use overseas?

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Virgin 5s is pretty much like sprint 5s, and you will not be able to get it unlock either.

6. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

virgin mobile won't unlock their iPhones for you. i remember reading about it somewhere in the past, they wouldn't unlock 4Ses for people and those phones were stuck to the VM network exclusively. kinda BS if you ask me.

7. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Virgin Mobile in north america is owned by Parent Carriers:

Virgin Mobile USA = Owned by Sprint = Same policy and rules

Virgin Mobile Canada = Owned by Bell Canada = Same policy and rules

VM USA = iPhone is locked to Sprint = Cannot use in USA = International Only if they agree [after going through their non-sense which they have in place to try and hold customers on their network while they can -- sounds desperate to me lol]

VM Canada = iPhone is locked to Bell Canada = Policy is very strict but they do unlock and can be used in Canada and worldwide.

So saving $100 today on VM USA = Paying it later when you want to leave them as your iPhone will be worth less/useless.

8. stevenpa macrumors 6502

Bumping this thread, girlfriend has a iPhone 5s on Virgin, can't seem to get definitive info on whether a international (UK) sim would work when plugged in. Seems like most say it cannot work but just want to get confirmation

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

As already indicated…

Virgin Mobile, USA is owned by Sprint. It is an MVNO of Sprint. Hence, VM is subject to Sprint's policy on locking.

Sprint's policy on locking states that an international unlock is the only unlock you can get. Sprint will never unlock for domestic US use. Hence, neither will Virgin Mobile.

You can get an international unlock, but you will need to call and go through their hoops for it.

If you insert the UK SIM without getting the international unlock first the UK SIM will not work.

10. stevenpa macrumors 6502

Thanks for info. I saw that but do we contact Sprint or Virign? I've tried talking to the Virgin reps but they either have no idea what I'm talking about or say they cannot until February when they receive training?

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You might try Sprint. Ask to be transferred to the international department.

Can't guarantee you anything though.