iPhone 11 Pro Anyone out there with the guts to use their new iPhone without a case? [Merged]

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
i bought the clear case with my new iPhone 11 Pro but am thinking of not using it all

anyone have the guts?

i do have insurance through my credit card

Reactions: Redhead1701e

dsh3

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
I don’t use a case, but I do use a soft pouch. Cases often require the user to take them off and clean the phone, or risk dirt and dust accumulating and potentially scratching the back/sides of the device. I’ve seen it happen.
This.

This was especially an issue with the iPhone 5, I remember seeing several units with badly scratches frames from dirt and dust accumulating within the cases.

Reactions: Pipper99

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I just tried to use my iPhone 11 pro with no case and there’s not enough grip for me to leave my pinky from the bottom while I extend my thumb to swipe down for control center, if that makes sense. The clear case gives me enough grip to do this.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I've been using iPhones without cases or screen protectors since 2008 (I don't like the way they add bulk, or the seams/edges of skins). My new iPhone 11 Pro Max just survived an international trip, passing though six airports, on four airplanes, without getting even the smallest hairline scratch on the screen. I'm very impressed by its durability so far, as my iPhone X's screen would scratch if you even looked at it funny.

Reactions: profets

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
I am using a ultra thin Humixx case with a glass screen protector. These iPhones are too slippery and too expensive to be destroyed by dropping them.

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
This.

This was especially an issue with the iPhone 5, I remember seeing several units with badly scratches frames from dirt and dust accumulating within the cases.
That’s funny, i thought it was just mine. A case destroyed my frame on my old iPhone 5. I couldn’t believe it after taking it out.

OP, I like to take full advantage of the iPhone experience as Apple intended it to be.....without a case. You said you have insurance on it, that’s your case right there.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
ive used my x for a year and xs max for another year without a case. But I've also gone careless since iPhone 4. I did crack the screen one time in all those years on a super tiny fall.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
The iPhone is made entirely out of glass front to back and is slippery. How anyone finds this comfortable to use case-less on both fronts, I don't know.
its honestly the most comfortable way to use a phone. Cases aren't comfortable. The hard edges around the curved screen glass that makes it not feel great sliding back a page or gestures.
Now you might be confusing comfortable with mental comfort. Most people don't feel safe using a phone without a case. I much prefer it given the risks the way a phone feels without a case is amazing.

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
its honestly the most comfortable way to use a phone. Cases aren't comfortable. The hard edges around the curved screen glass that makes it not feel great sliding back a page or gestures.
Now you might be confusing comfortable with mental comfort. Most people don't feel safe using a phone without a case. I much prefer it given the risks the way a phone feels without a case is amazing.
I’ll try to explain.

when I need to swipe down on control center I use my right thumb when I’mholding it in my right hand. I normally use my pinkie at the bottom to hold the device. But, when I use my thumb to swipe down on control center, I have to let go ofsupport from my pinkie, hold the iPhone flatter so it doesn’t fall to the ground, and my three other fingers to grip the back while I’m using my thumb to swip

without a case it’s too slippery to this for me

Lee_Bo

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2017
Greenville, SC
If the device has some texture to it and the camera was recessed then I might consider it. But as thin as it is and very smooth, there's nothing to prevent me from dropping it.

Reactions: anitak1982

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I find that a Max phone goes from doable and comfortable to unwieldy the minute even a little thin case like the Apple Leather case is added on. Whenever I give them a run, I take them off within a day or two. AppleCare plus when offered and caseless for every phone since the original iPhone.

Reactions: Pipper99

blairh

macrumors 68040
Dec 11, 2007
I find a caseless iPhone to be extremely uncomfortable to use. It’s slippery. It slides on certain surfaces. It’s made of glass front and back. No thanks.

AppleWes

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
I use the Apple silicone case mostly for added grip (11 Pro). Tried going no case but just too slippery. I also carry phone in front pants/slacks pocket so extra grip helps not slide out when I sit down.