Anyone pay FULL RETAIL to keep unlimited data on VZW?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sundog925, Sep 23, 2012.

1. sundog925, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

sundog925 macrumors 6502a

I did and I haven't regretted it. I used almost 2GB of data on the first day!
    Here in the bay area, CA, its incredibly fast.

I am a bit pissed that the reps at VZW lied to me on launch day saying they wern't selling retail phones, only new customers and upgrades. And they almost strong-armed me into giving up my unlimited data, what a bunch of jerks.

I'm hoping to slam them this month with my data plan,
    i sure as hell didn't buy the phone to keep it on wi-fi only!

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

$450 extra that your paying to purchase the phone full price broken down over 20 months (normal subsidy timeframe) comes out to an extra $22.50 per month that you're paying to keep unlimited! :eek:

No way in hell that would be worth it for me to pay that much more to stream movies on a 4-inch screen.

3. Robertsmania macrumors member

We have two phones on a grandfathered unlimited plan. We were able to add a line to get a new iPhone5 for my wife at the discount price. I did buy another one for full retail and am evaluating it to see if I want to keep it...

We do use at least two gigs a month, so for us switching to a share everything plan would be more expensive than the guys example in the post above. And this way my mom gets my wife's old phone for $50/mo which is way better than she was paying as a single line subscriber.

4. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I did for unlimited data but also because I bought the 4S as an upgrade so I had to buy this guy outright

5. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont see it that way, my plan doesn't change. I just paid up front what I would of say if I decided to cancel and pay the ETF. While I realize that isn't the same comparison, I just see it as I could afford the device up front, while my monthly stays the same and my data is un-hinged.

6. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

My family has 5 iPhones. So it would make no sence for us to keep unlimited. Over the past year we avg only 3GB a month. So again unlimited is not needed.

7. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suppose for families it wouldnt make sense, but you just dont realize how much data you use and how much faster it is until you realized youve gone thru 1GB in 30 mins.

better keep that router on :p

8. imazu macrumors regular

9. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I paid full price, too. Used 1.2GB this first weekend without even trying. LTE is crazy fast.

10. BuckDot macrumors member

I did and don't regret it one bit. If I got a tiered plan I'd be paying about $25 more per month.

11. stevedusa macrumors regular

I did too.

Consider, with LTE you will be going through those data allowances way faster than you can ever imagine before.

Even with my previous LTE phone I can rank up anywhere between 4 to 6, sometimes 10 gig of data.

Imagine how much that'd be if you paid for 2Gig allowance and you end up using more than that.

In a long run it's the same. There is no point to get a phone with fast cellular data capability but you can't enjoy it at the fullest.

12. Dkorda macrumors 6502

I'll wait for the JB, the buy it out right. Gotta keep $30 unlimited.

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, here's a question, did you sign a contract to get that unlimited with your fully paid phone? Though I'm not seeing much good their either way.

1. You signed a contract with no real benefit to you and a lot of benefit to Verizon cause they have gauranteed income from you for 2 years and you're stuck with them even if you decide you don't like them. This also means you can't shop for the better deals. You signed a 2 year contract to overpay even if you find that there is somewhere cheaper (for example I have some one telling me he gets 100 minutes and unlimited text and data from I believe T-mobile but maybe it's from some one smaller) for 30 bux.

2. You didn't sign a contract which there is good, means you can leave anytime you want (especially if you find a better deal). But it also means that you bought that phone full with the understanding you would keep unlimited that way but since you have no contract that doesn't mean Verizon can't change their mind on you at any time and just decide to stop offering it period.

Personally I would hope you didn't sign a contract. True it means unlimited still isn't guarenteed but you easily can switch if you find a better deal for you (and some of the smaller companies will have better deals and maybe unlimited).

14. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

your reading way too much into. im month to month. they cant drop my data unless I, MYSELF do it. the benefit is while others pay for 2GB for $30, i pay 23 for unlimited data- PERIOD.

15. tdar macrumors 6502a

I hate to break it to you but that's not true. Your contract with VZ is month to month. That means that the terms of that contract are in force for a month at a time. Each month can be at different terms. VZ can offer new terms at any time for the next month and it would be up to you to decide if you want to accept them. So as early as next month, those terms could include no Unlimited Data.

16. Blinny83 macrumors member

It was worth it to me to pay full retail. I dropped my 50mbps home Internet to 1.5mbps and use personal hotspot when I need speed on AppleTV, iMac, iPad etc...

Saves me $60 a month plus what I would have surely paid in overages. Between the 3 iPhones, we were averaging 5-7 gbs per month.

I am slightly concerned that VZW may change the contract in February when I go month to month, but I doubt they will, as they know those customers will have far less incentive to stay.

17. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

if it hasnt happened in almost a year, its not gonna happen. ive only heard of a carrier terminating a subscriber once and it was in excess of 100GB/month or something crazy.

18. Alveezy macrumors regular

Wait what?

btw for those that bought it full price and still have a contract from an older iPhone. did you get to switch your current Insurance to the new phone?(iPhone 5)

19. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

apple care follows the device, separate insurances need to be purchased for each device.

20. mpossoff macrumors 68020

For those of you that bought at full retail a 16GB equates to $20.50/month.

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

They can stop offering that plan. You didn't sign a contract with them, therefore they are under no obligation to keep offering that plan. We're not saying they'll drop *you*. We're saying they can drop that plan at any time. They can completely discontinue it whenever they wish and tell you that you'll have to pick another plan that is available.

22. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not if we slam verizon for data over 2GB, ever extra gig is $10, the phone will pay for itself hella quick. then we are winning!

23. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

No, tether it, and connect it to your home ethernet switch :D

----------

You're more slamming other customers who want to use the same LTE tower in your area. However, I don't care because I'm on AT&T, and I don't care about my data speed.

24. missing.link macrumors newbie

I once pulled ~70 GB in a month on Verizon. Nothing untoward happened.