Anyone play any instruments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qoxiivi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
London, UK
Everyone knows that *all* mac users are creative, artistic and talented, so, does anyone here play any instruments? If so, what kind of stuff do you play? Are you in a band? Do you gig?

Piano - Coldplay, Radiohead, classical bits and bobs
Acoustic guitar - Radiohead, David Gray, Travis, Damien Rice, Beatles, Ocean Colour Scene

I do the odd open mic night and would like to gig regularly but haven't found the time - plus I'd like to get some of my own songs polished off before doing so.

Anyone else?

Qoxiivi

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
Violin and viola... but I can't play much because I'm tendinitis'd.

Mostly classical stuff... I entered a scottish fiddling competition a few years ago and was #4 in the Nation. Got a free trip to Washington State. That was pretty awesome.

I hate scottish fiddling so much. :mad:

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
I play guitar and I'm currently learning how to play the piano/keyboard. When it's other people's stuff I like to play Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix (a.k.a. God), The Doors, Led Zeppelin etc. My own style is a bit more bluesy although I never really learned to play the blues, so it is mostly a weird attempt at blues :) I used to play in a band, and I wish I could do that still, but I'm a boring "businessman" now:(

oh.. and I can also play bass.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I play the clarinet. I played in the Regina Symphony Orchestra from when I was 12 years old until I was 19 years old, when University and my Engineering degree got in the way. ;) I picked it up again though a few years ago, and luckily, now I can have my cake and eat it too - I am a Professional Engineer who still plays with the Symphony. The best of both worlds! :cool:

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Guitar, even though I haven't played in a while (I spend >70% of my time on the road for business).

I did play a couple of gigs back in high school and the first couple of years in the university. I mosly play covers, but I do write my own music - even though only my girlfriends and a couple of friends have ever heard it. I actually enjoy more writing lyrics than music, but every once in a while some tune that I like will pop into my head that I just have to write down.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I play the piano and guitar. I can't play my keyboard anymore! Nothing feels like a real piano I say. its brilliant... piano strengthens the muscles in the fingers and the guitar makes the skin tougher. superhands! or not.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Classically trained flutist, studied at Oberlin Conservatory. I played in the Chicago Civic Orchestra for a while, but then developed some health problems and had to stop playing. I'm trying to get back into it now, doing orchestra auditions, the whole bit.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Piano, guitar and bass, all started less than 2 years ago. Been in a band for 6 months, we've done 2 gigs so far (me playing bass) with more to come hopefully.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I wish, unfortunately I was given the musical ability of a moldy, lopsided turnip. It's somewhat ironic in that my father plays guitar, regular and bass, my grandmother plays piano, my grandfather plays both piano and trumpet, and my great-grandmother played both piano and flute. I tried learning both piano and guitar and various points, but to no avail.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Mainly the violin (~10+years).

Took classical guitar (a year), piano (4 years), and flute (er, six weeks :eek:). Does the recorder count? :p

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
violin- since pre-school/kindergarten; still play
trombone-high school
guitar- for about a year and a half, squier starfire semi-hollow body electric

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Played alto sax (classical) and guitar (mostly jazz) since I was little, and picked up the bass guitar in high school. Dabbled in keyboards. Sadly, haven't had time to play seriously in about five years...

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
my whole family is into music as a hobby except for my sister who played classical guitar and cello as a member of semi-pro travelling troupe) Even as a little boy, I was required to take piano and flute lessons. but as i grew older my leanings turned to those which i had a personal interest in. eventually, i learned to play the following instruments:

bass guitar: I worship jaco P, billy sheehan, stu ham, stanley clarke, & all the greats. I use an old Fender Jazz bass and a Yamaha precision bass; both are four string/use round wound strings

guitar: I worship joe satch, eric johnson, eddie van halen, paco de lucia, al di meola, charlie byrd, joe pass, john williams, stevie vai
I use an Ibanez electric guitar w/ Seymour Duncan pick ups/ floyd rose tremolo assembly and a vintage Yamaha electric made in the 60s. I use D'Addario strings. Zoom digital effects/ and a couple of Boss analog effects gadgets w/c I also use for the bass. I also use a Spanish classical guitar w/c my sister gave me (the name escapes me right now). This guitar was built in the 50s and sounds as good (maybe even better) as when it was bought back then.

Also play basic keyboards and basic drums (Sonor kit w/ Remo heads/ Zildjan cyms).

i'm no virtuoso but i play pretty decent stuff.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Guitar, bass, piano.

I have played the piano since I was about 7, but found I was much more of a natural at guitar when I took that up about 15 years ago. I played in a few bands at school and university, but have found that I play much, much less now that I am a grown up and have a proper job. :mad:

I am now focusing more on the recording side & am taking a course in sound engineering. It is pretty useful to be able to practise at home using Logic and playing most of the instruments myself.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Been playing the piano for the last 17 years. Then I busted my hand, now I'm lucky if I can remember one song - just need practice, and my own piano...

Not a huge classical fan, I can muddle through it but there's no soul in my interpretation. I'm a big fan of Ben Folds' and have enjoyed busting out some of his more energetic numbers.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
I'd been playing piano since I was about 10, but haven't done much with it lately. My training was strictly classical, but I spent time accompanying the school choir, so I played a variety of things.

I had also tried to learn guitar a couple of times and I could pick and play chords but it wasn't fun at all. Perhaps, something with a bow would be better--some arrows might help, as well. :rolleyes:

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Chundles said:
I'm a big fan of Ben Folds' and have enjoyed busting out some of his more energetic numbers.
Ben Folds Five stuff is a wonder to the ear. Marvelous stuff. Have you EVER heard a sadder song then Fred Jones, or a hauntingly beautiful one like The Luckiest, or the minimalist masterpiece Brick?

Guitar for me, almost (gulp) THIRTY years. Big Steve Howe fan, but moving toward mostly classical since I'm so DAMNED old.
http://stevehowe.com/

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.