Anyone prefer not to have the edge thin due to the fat bulge?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kendo, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

2. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

That looks a little like me in profile. I have a little bulge factor going on myself.

If I can do it, I guess the new iMacs can too. :D

Completely agree. Was hoping the new iMac form factor would basically be a TB display with a very small chin.

4. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Wow, the bulge looks so much bigger in this photo than in the other photos I've seen. Perhaps the angle is exaggerating it a bit? Apple's own photos sure know how to capture the right angles to make this thing look razor thin. I want to see it in person. If the bulge is as bad as it looks in this photo, we have an even bigger problem then we already do!

----------

YES!!! I'm glad someone else agrees! Or no chin at all, preferably.

5. washburn macrumors 6502

the above pic makes it look worse for some reason, here it looks better:

[​IMG]

also in person it should look way better too

6. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

The camera isn't perpendicular to the edge of the screen, so we're seeing a lot more of the bulge.

7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

For Apple .. The point is Reality Distraction Field(TM). It's still RDF so it's valid.

Oh yes it's the new Apple philosophy under Cook's regime :p

8. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

is it just me... or unless you stand at a very particular angle facing towards the new imac, it doesn't look very impressive, at all...

9. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

It doesn't look great for me, I don't understand the need to constantly make a desktop machine thinner and thinner. I have a 2010 21" on my desk right now and think thickness wise its about right, it looks pretty tiny but the bulge is nowhere near as pronounced.

Obviously it's going to look great from the front, it only really looks crap when you view from behind or behind and to the side, most people will never see the computer from that angle.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

It may look bigger to some eyes, but don't forget: it's still 40% less volume and a whopping 8 lbs lighter than the last model, so the specs speak for themselves.

----------

Good photos. I think the second shot showcases more of how thinner it is than last generation.

11. mihai.ile macrumors member

I think most will see the computer from behind/that angle when you will start to get those things on desks where you have your customer on the other side of the table or somewhere close to you but in an angle to the screen

12. Gloops macrumors member

Well, you'll have to swivel it around to that angle every time you want to insert an SD card. :/

13. motrek macrumors 68020

I agree completely. Now, instead of the bulge just making the computer maybe 50% thicker in the middle, it makes it about 6-7 TIMES thicker. To me this looks ridiculous. What's the point of a "thinner" iMac if it's going to still have a standard 3.5" hard drive and therefore be more or less as thick as the old iMac?

Apple is making such a big deal about how thick the edges are. Why didn't they extend the edges a little bit and taper them down so they were just 1mm thick? Surely that would be 5 times better, right?

14. NunoBerny macrumors regular

NunoBerny

Wow. That will be great for the ONE TIME I will need to move it (from the shop to my house). ;)

Seriously, making it thinner AT THE EXPENSE of other features is incredibly dumb. Even forgetting the ODD, the low end users will be neglected of user-upgradeable memory. For no other reason than to make it thinner.

And...it's thinner on the edges, but that bulge looks bad...

15. Roller macrumors 68020

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about a couple of people I know. :)

Seriously, I don't much care how my iMac looks from the rear or side, as I typically look at it face on. I do like that you see less of the aluminum case on the new iMac compared to the current one. There's none around the edge, and the "chin" seems smaller.

16. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Well that is a relief. It doesn't look so bad after all.

17. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

Who the hell cares are we gonna look at the back or the front and sides of the computer??? I think we mostly look at the sides and front don't care too much about the back being kinda fat they needed to fit the computer somewhere.

18. tyche macrumors 6502

I care that I can't stick my SD card into the side anymore and instead have to dig around in the back. They could have left the thickness the same, remove the ODD if they wanted to maybe add one of the usb 3 ports to side as well. The depth of the iMac doesn't look much different so it's not saving people space building it that way. You aren't going to mount it on a wall like a new thin TV.

19. Bendrix macrumors member

It's skinny fat, like those skinny dudes with beer guts.

20. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

The ODD is not a feature for many, myself included, so I'm very happy Apple removed it.

The vast majority of low end users will never attempt to upgrade their machine, and most likely will never need to go beyond 8 GB of RAM of the lifetime of their machine, which mind you, is already an upgrade from last year's 4GB.

21. 3lutz3toe macrumors member

Don't care much for the edges being thin anyway. Did Apple do this just so they can say it's a new design?

And I don't really mind the chin either, which I can see many do.

The 2011 design was perfect the way it was. No need to fix something that wasn't broken.

This reminds of the ME TOO types of new drugs that are being churned out every year that don't necessarily perform any better and sometimes worse!

22. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Everything looks better than "Molar Mac".

Yeah it's a little show off but still a great feat of engineering. Apple does what they always do, something crazy and it takes two years for competition to catch them up. At that time they usually do some another crazy thing. Brilliant marketing.

23. motrek macrumors 68020

No, it's not a great feat of engineering AT ALL.

People forget that MacBooks have been been less than 1" thick for 5+ years and don't have bulges, and that 1" includes a screen and keyboard too.

If Apple really wanted to make a thin iMac, they could have made it 1" thick at all points with no bulges and IMO that would have been pretty cool and maybe a little impressive.

But instead they are charging us extra for fake-thin.

24. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Relax, nobody was complaining about thickness when 2011 iMacs were around. Hey, I'm not happy about the prices either but you have to admit that there is nothing on the market like this right now.

And please, tell me how they'd stuff those internal components into 1" board. ?