Anyone prefer or choose the 1440x900 over the 1680x1050 on the 15" 2010/2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoJoCal19, Feb 24, 2011.

1. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I can't decide whether to go for the high res option on the 15". Reading these forums and other places I don't see near as many people pick up the high res option compared to standard res.

Does anyone prefer the lower 1440x900? Has anyone gotten the low res screen and regretted it? I've checked out both at the Apple store and I like the high res but I think I could live with the low res.

2. JoJoCal19 thread starter macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Help! I need to go ahead and reserve mine for pickup. Would love the input on the displays.

3. solarein macrumors regular

IMO 1440x900 is way too low for a 15.4inch display, it'll look ugly.

4. JNL Productions macrumors member

Go with the high res display. There should be no question. 'nough said.

5. thinh3d macrumors member

this matter has been discussed last year, and it's down to personal preferences. So basically, you'll have 2 scenarios:

1. You want big, easy to read text: go for the standard res.
    2. You want to display more things in your screen, but smaller text: go for the hi-res.

It's as easy as that. Choose which one you want. And if you want the anti-glare, you only have the option of hi-res anyway.

Goodluck!

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

I have the 2009 model 15" and that screen is perfect for what I do, word processing with several word and/or Excel files open, along with a dictionary and a web browser. The HR screens are great because you get more screen space to work with, but the text is too small for my eyes, and the menus etc., the UI. is too. So I prefer the lower resolution. Everyone is different, so it depends entirely on your eyes, and preferences. Don't decide based on opinions, but rather go to an Apple store and try using both. It should be obvious immediately which one is or feels, right for you.
    I have a friend who does video editing on a 13" MBP, rather than on his Mac Pro/Cinema display setup just because he prefers the mobility of the laptop, then he does the rendering on the faster MP machine. For other things he prefers the MP. That is just another example of how different people have varying preferences.
    :cool:

7. Jaimi macrumors regular

I went ahead and upgraded to the hi-res screen. The 1440x900 isn't bad, but I was craving just a little more space for Unity and Visual Studio.

8. hoxley macrumors regular

9. JoJoCal19 thread starter macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I forgot, I can do command + and web pages zoom in perfectly. That makes it a bit easier to consider the high res option.

10. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

11. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

If I get the high end 15" MBP with the 6750M GPU, how much of a fps hit should I expect from WoW on the hires screen compared to the regular one?

12. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Exactly - you can always zoom in when needed (even the whole desktop).

You can't beat the extra screen real estate, and of course, anything like photos/video at a high res look that much more beautiful (and detailed).

No regrets here.

13. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

If you like seeing your own face while reading big print, get the junky standard res.

14. nygfan80 macrumors regular

I am just not happy with the hi-res. The icons were just too small for me since I sit with the laptop on me. The real-estate was great but just too much but I am worried about the size with the regular screen. I am uses to the same screen with a 14" screen. I am worried though

15. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

For me I love the hi-res. Occasionally I run into a website with really small fonts but in that case I just use the zoom function (Ctrl + 2 finger scroll). Or I just use the browsers increase font size option.